Here is a good LCD monitor question

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Points 4,510
nECrO1967 Posted: Tue, Jul 29 2008 12:29 PM

Responce time, brightness level and resolution get all the attention but you almost never see any mention of color depth numbers. Many cheap  LCD's( And sometimes even more pricey ones as well) are 6 bit panels that can only acheive 16 million colors and make it look presentable is through dithering. For most people this isn't even noticable but to a graphics professional or artist it makes choosing an LCD monitor very hard or impossible. I have an artist friend I am trying to help replace an aging 21" CRT with a good LCD.

The problem is Few reviews mention this and almost no vendors put that info on the box. I can't even find it on their web sites or even in Google so far. Anyone know where this information can be had?

I used to carry a hammer in my computer tool kit. Just for fixing the packard Bells though.......

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

EIZO is a brand that makes 14 bit panels, but they are very expensive... nearly 2 grand for a 21" widescreen.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Points 4,510
nECrO1967 replied on Tue, Jul 29 2008 3:21 PM

recoveringknowitall:

EIZO is a brand that makes 14 bit panels, but they are very expensive... nearly 2 grand for a 21" widescreen.

Thanks for the reply. I found Eizo. Trying to get it a little lower. LOL. 14 bit. Wow. I knew about 6 and 8 and recently read about someone coming out with 10 bit, but never heard of 14. Any ideas of how to find out the color depth of a particular model?

I used to carry a hammer in my computer tool kit. Just for fixing the packard Bells though.......

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 437
Points 6,450
jtm55 replied on Tue, Jul 29 2008 5:20 PM

nECrO1967:

recoveringknowitall:

Thanks for the reply. I found Eizo. Trying to get it a little lower. LOL. 14 bit. Wow. I knew about 6 and 8 and recently read about someone coming out with 10 bit, but never heard of 14. Any ideas of how to find out the color depth of a particular model?

Hi All

This should fit the bill, the Lacie 324 LCD. Here's the link.

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11034

ASUS Z7S WS

EVGA 295 GTX

HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 RAID 5

Intel Xeon E5420 Harpertown

HT Omega Claro

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX

mushkin 6GB 3 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Harmon Kardon HK 3490 W/ Energy RC 10

LG W3000H-Bn

SILVERSTONE SST-TJ07

Plextor PX 755 SA

Windows 7 Ultimate

Areca ARC-1210

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Points 4,510
nECrO1967 replied on Tue, Jul 29 2008 6:23 PM

jtm55:

nECrO1967:

recoveringknowitall:

Hi All

This should fit the bill, the Lacie 324 LCD. Here's the link.

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11034

Thanks for the info. I will look into prices. I haven't had the best luck with Lacie products in the past so I will read reviews as well. Looks like everything she needs. I don't particularly like the "fuzzy" wording in the description. The say 10 bit "gamma corection". Thats not the same as color depth. If you read the specs it is an 8 bit panel. Fits my needs but it looks like they are trying to imply it is something it is not. Could be me though.

Also, what I really wanted more than just product sugestions was a way to find this info for any monitor.

For those interested,. I did find that a good way to get a clue is look at the stated color rendering numbers. 16 or 16.2 million usually means 6bit and 16.7 usually means 8 bit. It's the "usually" I don't like and I would like to be able to tell for sure. Anyone?

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS