Asus Trinity Tri-GPU Graphics Prototype Benched

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,421
Points 1,193,215
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jul 23 2008 1:46 PM

Asus recently contacted us with an interesting 3D graphics product that was intended to be nothing more than a proof of concept.  The product was affectionately named Trinity and though it didn't necessarily conjure up visions of leather-clad vigilante-dominatrix-hotties for us, it certainly did have an intriguing design.  The Asus Trinity prototype is built on a trio of AMD ATI Radeon HD 3850 GPUs in CrossFireX mode for tri-GPU performance on a single card. 

Though perhaps that's not as interesting or innovative as how Asus went about cobbling this demo together.  Instead of designing a custom PCB, they took a path of least resistance and pulled together ready-made notebook graphics modules slotted mezzanine-style on the top and bottom side of the board.

Looking at the bottom side of the board, you can see how the GPU cards are dropped into what essentially are MXM graphics module slots mounted horizontally on the board.  There are two of these on the bottom and another on the top side of the board.  Though we didn't pull the assembly apart (we didn't want to risk damaging the beast), we suspect there must be a PCI Express switch sandwiched in there somewhere to divide the lanes amongst a single PEG X16 slot.  In addition, if you look closely, you'll see there are ATI CrossFire ribbon cables spliced into the assembly as well.  Finally, Asus shipped the kit with a Thermaltake BigWater 760is cooling system in order to keep temps in line with all that GPU sandwich action going on.

Of course we just had to benchmark this puppy and here are the results...

As many of you probably would ask, the answer is yes, it does play Crysis relatively well.  However, in all honesty we expected better, more linear scaling overall.  As a reference point, in our Company of Heroes testing, a single Radeon HD 3850 would score somewhere in the neighborhood of 37 FPS at 1280x1024 with 4X AA, whereas Trinity scores nearly 55 FPS.  That's a 48% increase in speed but three times the GPU horsepower thrown at the task.  In reality, this quick and dirty triple-GPU showcase from Asus probably suffers more from lack of driver optimization than anything else;  that and probably a shortage of PCI Express bandwidth and latency over the on-board switch. 

Regardless, it's interesting to see this implementation come together and we wonder about the practicality of it moving forward.  Think about a single slot card today that could possibly be upgraded in the future just by sliding a module in, thus leaving your other slots open for future functionality.  In all candor of course, a product like most likely won't see the light of day for Asus but it's certainly interesting to see it in action.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 3:38 PM
It certainly looks frightening. I'd like to see something like that done with three 8800M's. Either way, I wouldn't mind seeing a monster like that in my computer.

><((((">Lev Astov

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815
Neat prototype... will be interesting to see how well it does in the market if it makes it there.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,635
Points 55,285
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 6:22 PM
Heh... yeah. That's what it needs three 8800M GTX GPUs or similar from AMD but I think we'd need a bigger water cooler.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Thu, Jul 24 2008 12:31 PM
Thats pretty sweet good rigging work from ASUS lets see a working model would be great for a media pc especially
MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Thu, Jul 24 2008 4:14 PM
Novel idea BUT not-so-nice-looking implementation really; just way to giant/bulky/gaudy IMO

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Thu, Jul 24 2008 8:20 PM
i remember hearing about this a while ago nice to see it finally implemented. one thing i can say is 3 4870's on one card will be the end all beast for a single card.! cmon 6 gpu crossfire x!! heck, with 6 gpu's crytech will have to patch crysis to take advantage of more than 3 gpu's!!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

intresting...

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Points 4,510
nECrO1967 replied on Mon, Jul 28 2008 2:17 PM
Nice proof of concept. Lets see where they go from here with it. The tech industry landscape is littered with "nice" ideas. :) The road to Tech hell is paved with nice ideas. :)

I used to carry a hammer in my computer tool kit. Just for fixing the packard Bells though.......

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS