Shortcuts

45nm Phenom X4 Surfaces. Overclocked to 3.4GHz.

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,388
Points 1,192,360
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jul 13 2008 11:47 AM

Preliminary news regarding AMD's upcoming 45nm Phenom processors has been trickling out for the last few months, but other than some basic information about the manufacturing process, code names, and socket, concrete details about the processors themselves has been scarce.  Just the other day, however, a post in a Chinese discussion forum--itocp.com--shed some light on the stock performance and overclockability of an early 45nm Phenom sample.

If the information in the post turns out to be true, and all indicators at this point are that it is, the chip used for their experiments has a default clock speed of 2.2GHz, with 2MB of L2 cache (512KB per core x 4), and 6MB of shared L3 cache, which is a significant increase over the 2MB of L3 of current Phenoms.  At its stock frequency, the chip required 1.22v to operate reliably.  But with an increase to 1.57v, the poster was able to take the chip all the way up to 3.4GHz.  Although the Google translation of the forum post isn't very good, the images available on the site tell much of the story.

45nm AMD Phenom X4 Overclocked to 3.44GHz

3.4GHz at this early stage is a good sign for AMD, but remember Intel is not sitting still.  Around the same time 45nm Phenoms are slated to arrive, Intel will be readying the Nehalem core, which offers a number of enhancements over the Core 2.  Based on what we've seen firsthand thus far, even if AMD is able to bring 3.0GHz+ Phenoms to market sometime this year, it still isn't going to be enough to challenge Intel at the ultra high-end.  45nm Phenoms, however, should eventually be more economical to manufacture, which could help AMD's margins if pricing remains largely unchanged from current levels.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Points 2,250
mazuki replied on Sun, Jul 13 2008 1:20 PM
what's scary is that intel doesn't even have an IMC yet, but with nehalem they will, and the real question that should be in every AMD fan's mind is

"Will the nehalem spell disaster for an already lagging behind chip manufacturer?"
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Sun, Jul 13 2008 1:22 PM
the extra l3 cache should also help in performance. plus this is an early sample, perhaps amd can get back into the game

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

IMHO pricing is more important than raw performance to stay competetive... it's not as if AMD makes sucky chips, they're just 2nd best currently.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Sun, Jul 13 2008 6:41 PM

recoveringknowitall:

IMHO pricing is more important than raw performance to stay competetive... it's not as if AMD makes sucky chips, they're just 2nd best currently.

2nd out of third.... but should we really count via :-p

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

No because via doesn't even exsist in the enthusiast market and IMO HH is an enthusiast site!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator

News:
3.4GHz at this early stage is a good sign for AMD

But did they have to use some extreme-cooling to achieve this? I didn't see their cooling-solution mentioned anywhere!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Mon, Jul 14 2008 1:27 PM
I agree with recovering.....ultra-high-end enthusiasts are only like 5% of the market; if AMD can stay in the game with consistent releases of good mid-range CPUs eventually they are going to get something engineered on the high-end level that can compete.

ATI is beginning its run on nVidia -- I think once ATI establishes themselves as top-dog in the GFX market, AMD will make a nice little run as DAMIT could possibly shift their concentration further towards the CPU market

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Points 2,250
mazuki replied on Tue, Jul 15 2008 9:08 AM
you mean re-establishes as top dog in GFX :) before the 7xxx series nvidia, ATi was top all before

i'll still get AMD quad-core before i get intel quad-core though
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Tue, Jul 15 2008 9:41 AM

mazuki:
you mean re-establishes as top dog in GFX :) before the 7xxx series nvidia, ATi was top all before

Not true at all, ATI was not on top till the 9700Pro came out and that was such a leap over what NVidia and anyone elseo n the market had, it took Nvidia the 5xxx series to be second, trying to catch back up, basically on par/better for a while with their 6xxx series vs ATI's X8xx series, then Nvidia pulled away big time with the 7xxx series, ATI has made strides to get back into the game, but it has taken them 3 product cycles and they still are not back on top. 

Compare this to the Intel vs AMD stuff, Intel was top dog for a long time, the P4 vs the Athlon XP, Intel won hands down, though the xp's got kinda close in some cases.  AMD's revolutionary Athlon 64 chip and K8 Architechure is what secured them the top spot for the performance crown for quite a while as Intel tried what they could to tweak thier Netburst architechure to try to compete with what AMD brought out.  Intel realized they couldnt tweak it enough and went back to the drawing board and came out with Conroe.  The Core 2 stuff put Intel ahead of the Athlon 64, and AMD tweaked on their K8 architechure trying to stay competitive while they worked on the K10.  Intel keeps chugging, putting AMD further behind, while AMD is tweaking on the K10.  At best i see the K10 being even with the penryn and wolfdale cores.  They need to let Intel have the top spot with Nehelm and go back to the drawing board and work on K11 and make it come out and beat the snot out of Nehelm.

Its a tit for tat kinda thing that goes on, and AMD is getting hit hard from both the cpu and vid card markets.  They are in a position to do great things, but the question is, will they focus on cpu or gfx, or can they do both.  Clearly Intel has the ability to do both and more since they are even into the relm of SSD drives, adn the new Larabee gfx that they are working on to compete with ATI and Nvidia.

Maybe it is time that Nvidia get into the cpu busness, wouldnt that be a monkey wrench into the whole shabang.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Thu, Jul 17 2008 4:54 PM
Very nice a little more head room the current ones even the unlocked ones although they have some (headroom for oc'ing) are somewhat limted from what I've read on several forums the 45nM chips seem to have a bit more can't wait to see em on the retail channel
MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Thu, Jul 17 2008 5:50 PM

Looks good, hopefully we can get this out soon.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Points 4,510
nECrO1967 replied on Sun, Jul 20 2008 8:30 AM

While it's true that enthusiasts make up a small percentage of the market, it is what happens in that market segment that affects the rest of the market.

As for Larabee, wasn't that supposed to only be integrated graphics? Or have they planned to go dicreet as well. Forgive the stupid question. I have been out of the loop for awhile.

I hope AMD gets this all sorted out. If they were to go under that would spell disaster for us all in the form of higher prices and stagnant R&D.

One of the things I had hoped for for the AMD/ATI merger was that AMD would bring it's dicipline and accountability to ATI. In the past ATI was very sloppy in getting things done on time and out the door. Not to mention sloppy and ill thought out drivers. I think we are begining to see AMD's effect on ATI. Let's hope this is the case as better competition benefits us all.

I used to carry a hammer in my computer tool kit. Just for fixing the packard Bells though.......

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS