Graphic Card help

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 105
ineedmajorhelp Posted: Tue, Jul 8 2008 9:40 PM

I just bought a 9600GT to replace my 7600GS, this is on a m7500e HP PC. I had no idea it couldnt support a high profile card, so we filed down the video card metal bracket and got it to fit, and everything seems to be connected right we hooked up the 6 Pin Power connector and the fans spinning and the card is definetley powered on. But I cant seem to get video on it, and Windows is not picking it up just the integrated video card. help please useing on-board video at the moment. Im not sure if I correctly installed the Power connectors right I used the ones that came in the box http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127355 , and thats the only thing Ive plugged in or anything of that nature.

450W PSU
4800x2
2gb ddr2
and now the 9600gt which i cant get to work.

Vista32 BIT - OS

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

I am assuming you disabled the integrated graphics in the bios. What exactly do you mean you filed down the card?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 105

Yes, I disabled the onboard it set to PCI-E , Well i had to use a dremel to cut some of the bottom metal bracket off so it would fit in my case,But the fans going seems to be getting power just not showing up in windows or working when i hook my monitor up to it. Im using a Thermaltake 430 Watt Truepower PSU also.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

I am confused about the bottom metal bracket your reffering to. Do you mean the expansion slot bracket that screws into your case in the back where your expansion slots go? I don't see why you would need to take a dremel to that since they are standard brackets on all cases and cards. Your psu should be able to handle it just fine. Are you sure you didn't damage it while using the dremel?

If you disabled the integrated graphics in the bios and your new card wasn't working then you would get no video at all. Double check in bios to make sure there isn't a setting your missing.

Also did you remove the old drivers for the integrated graphics and install the new drivers for your new card. Sorry if these sound like obvious stuff but you would be surprised at what people overlook.

Does your MB have more then 1 pci-e slot?

• | Post Points: 5
replied on Wed, Jul 9 2008 12:01 AM

well I am going to say whatever you did to make it fit didnt work.  The fan will power on because of the power connector regardless if its in the slot or not.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,490
Points 47,190
ForumsAdministrator

If your new video card is DOA you just might have a hard time RMA'ing it now that it has been sliced-and-diced! Just curious, exactly what 7600GS did you have in there and does the 7600GS still function?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,490
Points 47,190
ForumsAdministrator

ineedmajorhelp:
Well i had to use a dremel to cut some of the bottom metal bracket off so it would fit in my case

Would it be possible to send us a PIC showing how you have modified your card, ineedmajorhelp?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

Super Dave:

If your new video card is DOA you just might have a hard time RMA'ing it now that it has been sliced-and-diced! Just curious, exactly what 7600GS did you have in there and does the 7600GS still function?

Definatly will probably have a time RMaing it!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 105

Ok, so I took out what the 6 pin and tried to load the card and it powered on just as strong and sounded exactly the same, so I think maybe Im just connecting it wrong that way. Im taking it to a shop today to get them to look at it. And the bracket i just cut the bottom of it off because it was a High profile bracket type in my Low Profile case, I also did email MSI and Newegg and told them about the situation and about RMAing it so we will see when i get it back today. :) thanks guys

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 5,500

Um, I don't know what bracket you are reffering to, but I seriously hope you didn't do something as foolish as dremeling the card itself, or any electronics on the card.

This is my Sig. There are many like it but this one is mine.

OIIIIIIIIO

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Sun, Jul 13 2008 8:48 PM

Do you mean that you have a slim pc and dremeled the metal bracked (the one that you screw on to the rear of the case)? Maybe while you were cutting it, small pieces or metal dust were hitting the actual video card and damaged it.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS