Mother Pleads Not Guilty in MySpace Suicide Case

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,595
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jun 16 2008 9:48 PM
You probably remember the Megan Meier case, in which a teenage girl committed suicide after a MySpace romance went bad. The romance itself and the boy involved were in fact fictional, perpetrated as a vindictive prank by the mother of a former friend who lived down the street.

A Missouri woman who prosecutors say drove a 13-year-old neighbour girl to suicide with a cruel MySpace hoax pleaded innocent to federal charges on Thursday in the unprecedented case.

Lori Drew, who is accused of creating the fake MySpace persona of a 16-year-old boy to woo and then viciously reject neighbour Megan Meier, pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiracy and accessing a protected computer to obtain information.

She was ordered to stand trial on July 26 in the case, which legal experts say stretches the bounds of the federal statute on which it is based, a law typically used to prosecute defendants who hack into government computers.

It's true, in that the charges are a stretch.  Still, Drew as an adult should have known better than to do this, and whatever it takes to get her into court - we approve of.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475
Its a sad thing for something like this to have even to taken place! I young life has been taken and it didnt have to happen.What is going in the mind of an adult to act so juvenile and heartless!In my opinion it should be considered a form of child abuse.Heck for that matter cyber terrorism.This woman has to be so callous and apparently emotionally unstable herself to even act on something like this!I have a daughter and I cant even tell you what this would do to me so I feel sorry for this young girls parents but even sorrier that her life has ended.I really dont know how this is going to play out in court but something needs to happen to bring a strong message to anyone yhat takes someone else life for granted. You just dont play games with other peoples lives.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Tue, Jun 17 2008 10:13 AM

The fact she is pleading Not Guilty absoletely digusts me, how can you act so immature and push a girl to suicide? How do you live with yourself.I really hope she is found guilty, and goes to prision for awhile.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

I dont know if there is a law on the books at this current time that applies to a circumstance as such but now would be a good time to create one.I think some type of justice should prevail!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

It's defintely very wrong, what she did.  There must be some punishment fitting, even if it's not this.

Hello

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Tue, Jun 17 2008 1:18 PM
Sentence will probably include wearing a horizontal-striped black and white jump suit and to break large boulders for the next 15 yrs with a dull pick-axe

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator

An evil woman, there. Probably didn't work, had lots of time on her hands, and spent it being educated by daytime soap-operas and talk shows.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Jun 18 2008 10:39 AM
Uhmmm... she *is* "not guilty" of the crime they're charging her with. They're saying that giving false information in your MySpace signup is a federal hacking offense.

How many 10's of thousands of other people are probably guilty of this same "crime" just because they don't trust MySpace to get hacked and don't want potential predators to get their hands on the same info?

IMO, she's a petty woman who did a horrible thing, but they should have hit her with a civil suit for wrongful death instead. Also, parents of unstable children shouldn't let their kids use the internet unsupervised.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Wed, Jun 18 2008 1:37 PM

3vi1:
How many 10's of thousands of other people are probably guilty of this same "crime" just because they don't trust MySpace to get hacked and don't want potential predators to get their hands on the same info?

this does not mean its not a federal offense [to falsify information] -- just as millions of people download music and movies illegally doesn't mean that if they got caught they wouldn't be charged for their crimes......breaking the law is breaking the law whether one does it or 2309230952093092905 people do it

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator

3vi1:
Also, parents of unstable children shouldn't let their kids use the internet unsupervised.

Because they might fall victim to unstable parents.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 5,500

There is a parent of a girl in my daughters school that lives way too vicariously through her daughter. I don't like my daughter playing with her child. I don't think she would go this far, but she is wayyyy overactive in her cheering, plays, and everything else the kid does. I think this woman was sort of the same, getting back to her high school juvenile ways, playing the stupid games high school girls play. She should absolutely be punished, but she was definitely not sane.

This is my Sig. There are many like it but this one is mine.

OIIIIIIIIO

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Wed, Jun 18 2008 8:14 PM

some blame has to be put on the child herself, honestly yes that mom who played the prank is messed up, but i dont think she wanted the girl to commit suicide... also if a girl commits suicide over a myspace romance gone bad then.... im sorry but i have to say there were some mental problems for that to occur, in which case the mother has to be held somewhat accountable too.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 5,500

Your %100 correct, the kid deserves some blame as well, just like in the Bebo case. More impotantly, the parents of the suicidal child need some blame, if they were better parents they would have 1. known what thier child was up to, and 2. been more aware of thier childs fragile mental state, and been able to prevent this.

OIIIIIIIIO

Not Ranked
Posts 0
Points 10
bloodymaze replied on Thu, Jun 19 2008 10:30 AM
What a jerk. How in the world can they let her get away with something like this? I hope they send her away for a very long time... 13 year old girl... jesus christ!
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

I agree somewhat about the responcability of the parents unfortunately i some case the mentral outlook of a child is hard to pin down.But for an Adult to be involved in deadly childlike prank there is just no excuse for that.Now there is a grieving family a loss of the life of a child all for something that didnt have to take place.I guess now the question is does this Adult feel honest remorse for this tragidy?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

its curel to do that to some one. However I think the 13yo girl had other probelms if she turned to suiclide. I mean come on its myspace....

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

Here,s an example of loss of control!

Court Overturns Father's Grounding of 12yr Old

You have got to be kidding me! A father grounds his 12 year old daughter off the internet because she posted inappropriate pictures of herself. The daughter SUES the father. Court sides with the kid. I don’t know much about the legal system up there but this is just crazy. All I can say to that little girl is that she'd better hope Canadian foster homes have PCs with internet access.

According to court documents, the girl's Internet transgression was just the latest in a string of broken house rules. Even so, Justice Suzanne Tessier found her punishment too severe.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator

So the 12-year-old daughter has a court overrule her father's house rules! What kind of country are they running up there in Canada?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Lemme dig into my vocabulary for a minute to find the right word to describe this... hmm?!

Outlandish!!!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 5,500

That judge need be removed from the bench.

OIIIIIIIIO

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator

recoveringknowitall:

Lemme dig into my vocabulary for a minute to find the right word to describe this... hmm?!

Outlandish!!!

OutCanalandish?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

Super Dave:

So the 12-year-old daughter has a court overrule her father's house rules! What kind of country are they running up there in Canada?

I guess a good point if the courts give away parental rights to the point where you cant even restrict your own childs movement on a computer then it makes it hard to decide in some cases what your child is doing and get a grasp on whats going on in their life including adolecent behavior and mental problems.Unfortunately raising kids didnt come with an owners manual like raising kids for dummies! Its hard to be a parent and watch every thing thats going on!You look for behavriol change but the dont often show themselves> I,ve got a daughter and son and Im always concerned about their state of mind and even when they get older things dont change you want to protect them! So the last thing you need is a court of any kind restrict you from raising you kids the right way and in the case of this post an Adult playing mind games with a child which could easily been one of ours to the point where a child looses their life! It makes me sick a court takes your kid off restriction but wont prosecute an adult for mental cruelty ending in death!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator

That OTTAWA COURT CASE MUST have Canadians in an uproar, and I would be very interested in following the proceedings. The misguided lady-judge needs to be recalled, too, if it is allowed.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

replied on Mon, Jun 23 2008 8:12 AM
While she didnt directly Murder this girl her actions caused the girl to murder herself. Now, yes the girl didnt have to kill herself that is true, however if this sick mom had never done this to the girl she would probably still be alive. Who knows what this woman really did to lead this girl on. Teenagers are not fully developed individuals and if this had been a physical molestation she would go to prison. Isnt this psychological molestation just as bad ? She was an adult and this girl was a minor. Couldnt they charge her with pedofilia ?
Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS