Bebo Blamed in 13-Year-Old's Death

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,905
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jun 14 2008 8:42 AM

Many have heard of Megan Meier, the teenager who committed suicide over a MySpace romance gone bad - one which turned out to be a hoax.  Here we have another social networking death; is this a troubling trend?

A teenager said to have been bullied on the social networking site Bebo has been found hanged in his bedroom.

Blaming Bebo for his 'utterly pointless death', Sam's mother said the family discovered the extent of the bullying only when they checked his Web page after his death.

Worse: the cyberbulling was over his taste in alternative music!  Bullying is bad enough, but come on!

Bebo users who taunted Sam on the site have since left messages apologising for their conduct.

Sam was a fan of alternative rock bands such as the Foo Fighters and Slipknot, as well as so-called Emo music, championed by bands such as blink-182 and Good Charlotte.

Apologies?  Too little, too late.  And honestly, most teens would not really feel that much remorse over this.  Or perhaps we are too harsh.  What do you readers think?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Sat, Jun 14 2008 11:56 AM

I think that I have never heard of BEBO....... howeverI think that the kid had issues if he hanged himself over people on the internet making fun of his music. It's one thing if its everyday face-to-face but if you are online why not either a) block the users or (b) get a new account???

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 5,500

Who doesn't listen to the Foo Fighters or Blink 182? I am not really a fan of Blink or Emo for that matter, but they are on every station, you can't not hear them.

I agree that there were way more issues at hand then some "cyber-bullying". I believe the parents are just looking for someone to blame other then themselves. They obviously didn't know their son as well they thought they did.

This is my Sig. There are many like it but this one is mine.

OIIIIIIIIO

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

I hate the term EMO with a passion... as human beings we are meant to feel & express the whole range of emotions. Some people are just more effusive than others.

As for the kid hangin himself, he must have had deeper issues. It is deffinately a tragedy, but placing the blame on a website or even a bunch of "cyber-bullies" isn't warrented IMO.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 416
Points 4,715

Agreed, I mean I listen to positivly anything and will entertain all sorts of conversation to that end.  never would I consider hanging myself because someone decided to be an idiot to me about what I may spend my leisure time listening to.

It is very clear there had to be underlying circumstances that unseated this person somewhere, else.  Also agreed on the tragedy of the loss. But 'cyber bullies' simply don't have the position to really do anything more then make me block them if they get too annoying

AMD X6 1100T - MSI 750-G55 - 16GB Patriot Viper II - nVidia GTX 470 - SB XFi Titanium>JVC A-X9>JBL Control Monitor 4312A

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS