Pls HELP me to fix "Error Code: 0280 Previous boot incomplete - Default configuration used "

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 75
basaula2000 Posted: Tue, Jun 10 2008 8:50 PM

Hi

I am having problem in my laptop since 1 week with the following error. Can not open window after several attempts too. I get the following error after sometimes. Sytem halts. No response. Can not boot. Here is the info I got in google…

I hope you can find out he way how to fix it. Pls help me out. If necessary I will bring my system.

FYI—My laptop details:

Model : GATEWAY MX6454

Serial No.: T006A61000452

I am sorry Computer's Warranty is over.  I  can not boot  CDROM  and can not   get  to BIOS setting  after  pressing F2 key.. It direcly  go to  for following error.  It take a lot of hours from 1 hr to 2-3 hrs to display the error messages too..................

Error Code

Error Code: 0280 Previous boot incomplete - Default configuration used

Message Meanings ad per google: Previous POST did not complete successfully. POST loads default values and offers to run Setup. If the failure was caused by incorrect values and they are not corrected, the next boot will likely fail. On system with control of wait states, improper Setup settings can also terminate POST and cause this error on the next boot. Run Setup and verify that wait-state configuration is correct. This error is cleared the next time the system is booted.

Field replaceable unit or action : Customized not to display this message.

Can someone pls help me out ?  

Yrs,

Paul Sharma

ATT Labs

NLC 

Paul Sharma ATT Netops indiantec@gmail.com
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Thu, Jun 12 2008 12:53 AM
Welcome to the HotHardware forum, Paul. Are you able to get into the laptop's BIOS?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 75

No, Not able to see the the BIOS setup. It takes to boot 2 hrs and shows the following error. After I hot F2 or F8 or F10 or F11.. sam result. I bypas bios setup and through error. Pls help m out if u can troubleshoot this problem. Is this due to software or hardware ? Is there anyway to troubleshoot? I am eagr to hear from u and anyon members.

Phoenix TrustdCore (tm) NB
Copyright 1985-2005 Phoenix Tchnologies Ltd.
All right Reserved

BIOS Version 84.02
System ID = 06A61000
Build Time: 09/04/06 18:54:06
CPU0 = AMD Turion (tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technologies TL-50

632K System RAM Passed
1918M Extended RAM Passed
512 KB L2 Cache
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed
Fixed Disk 0: HTS421212H98T00
ATAPI CD-ROM: PHILIPS DVD+/-RW SDVD8820
Mouse initialized
Event Log messages, enter Setup to view
Error
0280 : Previous boot incompletes. Default configuration used.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Sat, Jun 14 2008 11:58 PM

The suggestions I had in mind for you are dependent upon getting into the BIOS. Are you sure you are tapping the correct key? Read HERE and HERE.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Mon, Jun 16 2008 9:32 AM

If you open up the case an remove the hard drive, does it go through the boot-screens a lot faster? (I will not actually boot mind you) ....you say it takes 2 hrs to boot which makes me think you have a possible bad hard drive.

If it sticks at the COMPAQ flash screen for like 5 minutes that is usually the case 9 times out of 10 anyway...

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 75

Still the same problem once I take the HD out and boot. It takes me long time... I fell sleep while watching boooooting... Pls suggests me.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Fri, Jun 20 2008 8:49 PM

The only other thing I could think of is running through a few passes of memtest86 -- its a free download. Just download the .iso and burn it as an image with your favorite burning program. Then restart the PC and boot up from the disc -- let it run.

Also just a double check -- if you start the PC in safe mode it takes just as long to boot correct?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 5,500

You can't get to BIOS or boot from CD correct? Are you able to get to the boot menu? Can you make a startup disk on a flash drive, include UBCD wich Includes memtest, as well as alot of other useful tools, and run that to determine where the failure is?

Edit...Did you drop this machine recently? Check that the cpu and ram are still seated properly.

This is my Sig. There are many like it but this one is mine.

OIIIIIIIIO

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Mon, Jun 23 2008 10:41 AM

Sorry I misread the problem a little bit...

As savage animal says, just a simple re-seating of your RAM may help out -- also if you have the ability, you can clear the CMOS to reset your BIOS to their default settings as well.

Anything beyond this probably points to a motherboard problem

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 5,500

I have had this problem twice on two different machines, unfortunatley yours is a laptop so it's a little different. The first one was an overheated proc, the second was a bad usb hub, it had to be removed from the mobo in order to boot the machine. with a laptop thats a bit tough.

This is my Sig. There are many like it but this one is mine.

OIIIIIIIIO

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 176
Points 3,025
FSeven replied on Wed, Jun 25 2008 8:24 AM

It sounds like your CMOS battery is dying and the CMOS information has been corrupted. 

Reboot computer press designated key to enter CMOS setup,using the computer manual reset the system configuration to default, manually set the hard drive to auto. When prompted save the changes and exi.

I would go ahead and buy a replacement. If you happen to have a voltmeter or other such device around, try testing the voltage on your battery if you want to be sure, but I'd be willing to bet dollars to cents that your CMOS battery is on it's last legs. 

You should be able to pick one up for a few bucks from a store that sells lots of different types of batteries.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 176
Points 3,025
FSeven replied on Wed, Jun 25 2008 8:46 AM

Just some more information that might help:

The motherboard your laptop uses is based on the ATI RS482M chipset.

Part Number: 31MA3MC00B1, 4001199

Here is a cheap source for a new CMOS battery.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS