help to recover ntfs partition

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
nitro99 Posted: Fri, Jun 6 2008 6:50 AM

I bought a WD mybook 1TB 3 days back. Since i was working with iso images i needed to reformat from the default fat32 to ntfs. reformatting took forever and everything worked fine......transfered my entire years work to it......all ok......shut it down and went to sleep. next morning......the damn drive just wont recognize......just an endless blinking......so...i said 'screw the warrenty' and pryed open the drive......my data was more costly than the drive....it was a 1tb WD caviar GP drive........i plugged it in a spare pc which had sata interface and winxp......the drive is being detected but the partition is coming as uninitialised and it was asking me to format. I ran a demo verion of Active Partition Recovery. which showed that all my data was intact....i was even able top recovery one file...... Now trying to recover 400gb of data to another HDD is just too time consuming... I reckon the partition data is only messed up. But I have no idea on how to recover/fix  it..... Can anyone help?? Sad

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
nitro99 replied on Fri, Jun 6 2008 7:02 AM

Opps sorry wrong forum...........transferring to tech support.......Stick out tongue

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Fri, Jun 6 2008 11:07 AM

Just set aside a weekend and transfer. Tryign to repair the parition could result in all you data lost.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Sounds like your going to take the bullet and just spend some time recovering them all. I don't know how to recover them other than that; and like Squid said if you try to repair it, it might wipe the data

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS