ASUS Eee Box B202 Details Emerge

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,365
Points 1,191,810
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jun 1 2008 2:50 PM
A few weeks ago, we showed you some pictures of what was supposed to be the ASUS Eee Box desktop PC.  Initially, the images evoked mixed reactions from readers.  Some thought the Eee Box looked just like a Nintendo Wii, while others questioned whether or not the images were real at all.

In the weeks that followed, however, more news regarding the ASUS Eee Box desktop hit the web and any fears that the images were 'faked' were eliminated.  And today, we can finally put an official stamp on the images because ASUS has revealed the final specifications for what will become the first batch of Eee Box desktop systems.  Take a look...

Name and Model: Eee Box B202
Processor: Intel Atom N270 (1.6 GHz, FSB 533)
Memory: DDRII 512 MB / 1 GB / 2 GB (see US configs below)
Storage: 80 GB / 120 GB / 160 GB / 250 GB (see US configs below)
Chipset: 945GSE + ICH7M
VGA: On-board Intel GMA 950, 1600 x 1200 maximum resolution
Networking: 10/100/1000 Mbps LAN, 802.11n WLAN, Bluetooth optional
SD/MMC/MS slot: SD, SDHC, Mini SD, (Micro SD through adapter) ; MMC, MMC plus, MMC4.x, RS MMC, RSMMC4.x (MMC mobile through adapter);MS,MS PRO
Audio: Azalia ALC888 Audio Chip

Front Ports:
USB x  2
Card Reader x  1
Headphone-out jack (WO/SPDIF) x  1
MIC x  1

Rear Ports:
USB 2.0 x  2
Gigabit LAN x  1
DVI out x  1
Line-Out (L/R) with S/PDIF x  1
WiFi antenna

Accessories:
19Vdc, 4.74A, 65W power adaptor
Mouse (optional)
Keyboard (optional)
VESA mount (optional)
WiFi antenna
Stand

Dimensions: 8.5” x 7” x 1”
Net Weight: 2.2 lbs.
Gross Weight: 6.6 lbs.

US Configurations and MSRP: 
$269 - 1GB memory + 80GB HDD Linux edition
$299 - 1GB memory + 80GB HDD XP edition
$299 -  2GB memory + 160GB HDD Linux edition

As you can see from the information above, the Eee Box is based on the low-power Intel Atom processor and configurations with 512MB, 1GB, or 2GB of RAM will be available.  Although we've got the actual dimensions posted here, we've also snagged an image from ASUS' booth at Computex that really gives a sense of scale.  In the image to the left, the Eee Box is standing next to a paperback book and if you disregard the stand, the Eee Box is actually smaller than the book.  Talk about tiny.

One drawback to the diminutive Eee Box's form factor is that the machines do not feature an optical drive.  But there is plenty of connectivity, so we don't view the lack of an optical drive as a big detriment.

We haven't fired up an Eee Box for ourselves just yet, but it is safe to say these systems will feature Linux and Windows operating system installations that are very similar to the Eee PC mini-notebooks.  And pricing, will be in-line with the Eee PC philosophy as well.  A 2GB model with a 160GB hard drive will cost only $299.

we’re expecting the Eee Box to hit the market in the US in mid-July. For French-speaking Canada, a French Linux version will be available the following month.
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
Eww Linux, good thing the hardware is XP compatible. I love the specs . 2 gb of ram for 299 amazing.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Mon, Jun 2 2008 8:27 PM
eww Linux? Asus includes a TON of useful apps with their custom distro and it's super easy to use. It's not like this thing is for gaming, and that's the only advantage Windows hold over Linux.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 62
Points 1,140

Sooo, does it come with a WiiMote, or do I have to buy that separate? Stick out tongue

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 235
Points 3,045
higgamo replied on Mon, Jun 2 2008 8:54 PM

BigWop:
eww Linux? Asus includes a TON of useful apps with their custom distro and it's super easy to use. It's not like this thing is for gaming, and that's the only advantage Windows hold over Linux.

would  be i nice gift for people would havent deal with computers.  

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

so what's the purpose of this computer if it's not an ultraportable ?

http://www.buythiscomputer.com/COMPUTER-NEWS/Eee-Box-B202-Eee-PC-no-more-an-ultraportable-computer-not-even-a-laptop

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Holy crap, that's much cheaper than I thought!  I joked it wouldn't come out at $249 like the Wii, but only $20 more is almost just as good!

The point is that it's good for hooking up to your TV.  It's very small.  HTCP kind of thing, so you can watch files from any comp in your house on your TV.  Plus you can watch youtube videos on your TV, or whatever with a normal computer.  And Linux is fine, though I'd probably intstall my own copy of XP if I had one.

Though does it only have a DVI out?  I can't use it then.  I would have liked more options such as component or composite. 

Hello

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
miscpenguin, I use a wiimote with my Windows PC. It's Bluetooth and pretty cool. Google 'wiimote bluetooth' for more info.
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
miscpenguin, I use a wiimote with my Windows PC. It's Bluetooth and pretty cool. Google 'wiimote bluetooth' or 'GlovePIE' for more info.
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 75

This little box can do all these things? It looks like a PSP! This is a mazing. Too bad the price is kinda' high. For this money I can get a larger screen laptop. ___ If you can't beat it, offshore it!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

it is great to have a good review of the little box :)

The price seems to be little high, is it?

--- Regards, Imesha, security licence

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Mon, Mar 23 2009 3:12 PM

Probably not anymore as the article was posted a YEAR ago Wink

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS