UK Tories plan camps for jobless youths

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev Posted: Sat, May 31 2008 9:33 AM

Guardian.co.uk

The UK conservative party wish to implement a scheme where able bodied youths between the age of 18-21 who refuse to get a job or look for one are forced into employment rather than sponging of the state. At first I thought it was kinda 1984ish. The more I thought about it the more I realised it wasn't so bad. In fact I think it's quite good. Obviously it wouldn't apply to students and other legitimate reasons as to why someone isn't working.

Whats your take would you like to see it brought into place in your state/country? 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Seems a little too much power for the government.  What about kids of rich people?  Or does it somehow discriminate against the lower classes?

Hello

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Sat, May 31 2008 4:57 PM

I don't think their would be discrimination. I think it applies to people who are claiming off social welfare. If generic rich daddy wishes to keep funding little johnny with money thats different. The kid is sponging off his parents not the state. The main benefit I think would be a slight reduction in crime.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,063
Points 10,760
Grahf replied on Sat, May 31 2008 7:04 PM

Would be more useful if you get a "homemaker" (excuse for not having a job) that doesn't actually cook and clean to do something... Sad

I beat the Internet... the end guy was hard

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,485
Points 47,170
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Sat, May 31 2008 10:32 PM

Dev:
The UK conservative party wish to implement a scheme where able bodied youths between the age of 18-21 who refuse to get a job or look for one are forced into employment rather than sponging of the state.

Since I'm not from over there, please enlighten me! How do able-bodied youths who refuse to get a job sponge off the state?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

I guess if they are leaching off of welfare and refusing to get a job, it's kind of a fair requirement.  Still seems liked forced labor.  I think it would be unconstitutional here in America, but hey they have no constitution over there in the UK.  So let em.  It sounds reasonable. 

Hello

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 946
Points 16,610

Crisis Causer:

I guess if they are leaching off of welfare and refusing to get a job, it's kind of a fair requirement.  Still seems liked forced labor.  I think it would be unconstitutional here in America, but hey they have no constitution over there in the UK.  So let em.  It sounds reasonable. 

Problem is that benefits are so good over here that some people will never want to get a job. Augmented further by the fact that some of these are second or even third generation slackers who only have their parents as role models and who's parent's have been slackers for the whole of their lives.

As for a constitution, this lot normally quote the human rights act so they have more protection than most US citizens.

It gets better when these are the same people that blame immigrants for 'being over here steeling our jobs'. WTF!!!!!! You need to peel your lazy @rses of the couch, put down the fags and special brew and turn off the Jeremy Kyle Show and look for one to actually get one (there are plenty out there they just require some effort (thats EFFORT) to go out and find one).

Immigrants come here, work their backsides off and their taxes then get used to pay the native UK spongers benefits!!!!!!!!!!!

None of us want to work, its just that most of us accept we have to do it out of pride for our own families, our own communities and our own self worth.

RANT OVER.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Sun, Jun 1 2008 7:41 AM

Super Dave:

Since I'm not from over there, please enlighten me! How do able-bodied youths who refuse to get a job sponge off the state?

In many parts of Europe, if you don't have a job the government gives you enough money for your expenses. ie. so people can't starve to death. It's not a lot but it can cover your expenses. Sometimes people get laid off work and have dependants (ie. kids), so really allowing fellow citizens in this position is awful. Especially if they are decent people who want to work for a few months but genuinely can't get a job but they still need money.

I'm sure you can see how this system is abused. People who can work and aren't bothered to get a job sponge off the state. The proposed change aims to tackle this issue.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS