Dell XPS 730 H2C Performance Gaming System

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,905
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, May 27 2008 12:33 PM

Dell's XPS branded products have come a long way since they first appeared in 1993. Starting life as a performance trim for the Dimension product line, Dell has nurtured XPS into a well-known and respected premium performance brand. While not all XPS branded products are specifically targeted at gamers, gaming has always been at the core of the product line-up. The XPS brand's flagship desktop and notebook products have always been heavily gaming oriented, but it looks like that is set to change.

The XPS 730 is Dell's latest XPS flagship desktop product, the fourth generation of the XPS 700 series, and it may be the last. Or at least the last XPS flagship product as we currently know them; large, aggressively styled behemoths sporting the latest hardware and adorned with colorful LED lighting. A week after the XPS 730 was launched, news regarding the demise of XPS as a gaming brand began to circulate. Since its acquisition of Alienware in the summer of 2006, Dell has effectively been operating two separate gaming brands with directly competing products. It was speculated that some changes, possibly in the form of consolidation of the two brands, would eventually be in order. It is now fairly clear that Dell is to focus on Alienware as its premier gaming brand in the future.  But that didn't stop the company from producing the best XPS gaming to date.  Click the link below and take a look...

Dell XPS 730 H2C Performance Gaming System

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Tue, May 27 2008 12:51 PM

Very good deal for an off the shelf computer, Heck very good performance for any current tech computer. Great job dell I love the cooling system but wonder if this thing would perform better with 3 3870 OC's a gig and a half of ddr4 should perform better than 2 gigs of ddr3 should it not? Of course you' lose a GPU to but from what I've seen benchmark wise 3 of the ATI or NVIDIA card generally outperform 4 for some odd reason. The memory is the only thing I can think of unless it's threading and the increased bandwidth of a ddr4 bus related to that of a ddr3 bus on the component.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,872
Points 64,370
I thought Dell was waiving bye-bye to the XPS systems...

Intel E6850 * Patriot 4GB DDR 2 800 * EVGA 8800 Ultra * EVGA 680i Mobo "It's my...err...human nature to always want more!"- Myself Gamer Tags: X-Box 360 - Linus84 | PS3- Linus84 | Wii- 013014813390

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,034
Points 45,870
ForumsAdministrator
MikeL_HH replied on Tue, May 27 2008 1:13 PM
They are... just not right away like the original WSJ article suggested. All current products get to have a full product life but there will be no new high-end gaming oriented XPS machines from now on.

"My computer isn't slow, it's just being careful."

Join the Official HotHardware Folding Team!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Tue, May 27 2008 2:55 PM
I hope these are engineered by Alienware and don't cost ridiculously.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Tue, May 27 2008 3:40 PM

i could of sworn dell h2c used coolit... (maybe they used to) glad to see they arent coolit tends to be hit and miss (my fan on my unit sometimes wont start up... not too big of a problem just annoying to have to check it at start up... once its up its good! )

edit- seems that the problem was the wiring... they looped the molex... (hoping that i fixed the problem by puting in an extra molex... hoping...) 

Not Ranked
Posts 59
Points 1,055
LaMpiR replied on Tue, May 27 2008 4:51 PM

Only regret that they use 3870X2 instead of 9800GX2 :)

Nice system. Did any of you noticed how Alienware's quality dropped like year ago? They use to have first the newest hardware and everything maxed out. Now, you have to wait like two months to see latest tehnology...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,034
Points 45,870
ForumsAdministrator
MikeL_HH replied on Tue, May 27 2008 5:02 PM
Actually, 9800GX2's are on the way and eventually it will be an option for the XPS 730. Dell s still not done rolling out the full line-up yet.

Sure, Alienware used to allow you to order the latest stuff almost right after it comes out, but you had to wait like a year for your order to ship.

"My computer isn't slow, it's just being careful."

Join the Official HotHardware Folding Team!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Tue, May 27 2008 5:02 PM

alienware quality dropped before that when they used bloat ware with their systems and got those UGLY cases. ohh and i remember alienware holding back systems for reviewers unless they were "gauranteed" a favorable review.

alienware sucks. xps is good bang for buck (in high end imo) smoothcreations/voodoo/falcon northwest for premiums! 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,420

ice_73:
xps is good bang for buck

Honestly back a couple years ago I never expected Dell to get into the high end market.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Wed, May 28 2008 11:14 AM

amdcrankitup:

ice_73:
xps is good bang for buck

Honestly back a couple years ago I never expected Dell to get into the high end market.

dell was in the high end market a few years ago, in fact i think they started the xps line in 1993, but lately they went full out on what enthusiasts want. the case looks good, price is.... decent.... and the hardware is amazing.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,420

Well I guess what I was getting at that now they are geared more to the enthusiasts! Never thought I see them put out a Modded case with hardware also geared for upper end Gaming!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Wed, May 28 2008 6:34 PM
Dell needs more customers, appealing to the high end percentage of pc owners is a good tactic.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

SqUiD267:
Dell needs more customers, appealing to the high end percentage of pc owners is a good tactic.

Hmm, I dunno about that.  High end enthusiasts are more likely to build their own, I think.  Plus there can't be that many high end people compared to most of the market.

Hello

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

We actually bought an XPS 710 at my work, to use as a flight simulator visualization PC.  This was because we had to buy Dells thru our MIS department, and it was the only way to get a decent graphics card in a Dell PC at the time.

It looks like they fixed the power button on the XPS 730... On the XPS 700/710, if you pushed the power button IN, it would bust off, and fall inside the front panel!  The "button" was actually part of an elaborate lever contraption, which actuated to a small button on an overly complicated circuit board(which also drove all the "cool LEDs") that was mounted higher up behind the front panel assembly... you had to PULL the button UP, not push it in...this was not obvious to ANYBODY.  Really bad design.

The other stupid thing is the locking mechanism... it uses the puny Kensington laptop style locking mechanism, instead of a big loop that would allow a simple padlock... it is easily defeatable by cracking the plastic lip coming off the side cover.   At least the computer is so huge that thieving punks won't be able to carry the box down the street without being noticed.

- Stewart Teaze

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS