Microsoft Will Pay You To Be Their Friend

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,085
Points 1,183,235
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, May 21 2008 8:17 AM

Microsoft can't get any traction in the search engine world. Their Live Search utility is mired in single-digit user percentage, and their attempt to vault into a distant but respectable second place by purchasing Yahoo! was rebuffed. They're nothing if not tenacious over at Redmond, and they've got another idea to get you to search with them: They'll pay you.

Microsoft's "Live Search cashback" site, set to be unveiled Wednesday, promises to pay back a portion of the purchase price -- ranging from about 2 percent to more than 30 percent -- to people who use it to find designated products and buy them online from participating retailers.

The company has signed up a long list of merchants to participate in the program - including the online sites of large retailers such as Barnes & Noble, Sears, Home Depot, J&R Electronics, Office Depot and others.

The company is expected to unveil the Live Search cashback program at a conference in Redmond where Bill Gates will be speaking to online advertisers. Microsoft last weekend said there would be a major search announcement but declined to provide specifics. A Microsoft spokesman declined to comment Tuesday evening.

Microsoft bought a company called Jellyfish last year that specialized in giving users of their service a cashback incentive, so this attempt to leverage their deep pockets into a higher search market share isn't a spur of the moment idea. Perhaps the Yahoo! takeover was part of a strategy to gain a ready-made search audience and then offer them the cash-back secenario to compete with the big dog: Google. In any case, Microsoft is pressing forward. Psst. Buddy. Wanna make some money? Buy stuff and get your own money back. Maybe Ballmer should join Amway and learn Multi-Level-Marketing and get it over with.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,872
Points 64,370
Ol' Bill seems pretty desperate these days. No one will ever pass or get close to Google...so why do they even keep trying?

Intel E6850 * Patriot 4GB DDR 2 800 * EVGA 8800 Ultra * EVGA 680i Mobo "It's my...err...human nature to always want more!"- Myself Gamer Tags: X-Box 360 - Linus84 | PS3- Linus84 | Wii- 013014813390

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Microsoft is washed up.  Maybe they should focus their resources on creating a good Operating System instead of this. 

Hello

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 48
Points 465
Rightly said. I know I mention too much econ, but it's really better for all of us if MS specializes in making a good OS and let current search engine wizards specialize in search engines.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,232
Points 70,330

I don't like windows live search. It is very inaccurate. Nuff said there.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+| Asus M2N-E | XFX Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB | 4 GB Crucial Ballisticx DDR2 800 | Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Gamer | Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit | Hard Drives: 160GB (System) 250GB 320GB 750GB 120GB (external)
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Wed, May 21 2008 1:29 PM

Crisis Causer:

Microsoft is washed up.  Maybe they should focus their resources on creating a good Operating System instead of this. 

Well said. I have Google and Wikipedia, what else do I need?

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 235
Points 3,045
higgamo replied on Thu, May 22 2008 11:43 AM

i dont like microsoft live but i dont mind making a buck or 2 off them

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS