Hewlett-Packard Buys EDS, Prints Pink Slips

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,846
Points 1,114,875
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, May 13 2008 2:21 PM

Hewett Packard must have IBM envy. They've purchased Ross Perot's old technology services company, Electronic Data Systems,  for $13.2 billion, so they can claim to be the second place provider of such services to businesses and government, behind IBM.  As usual, the first rule of Takeover Club is: you're fired.

It's a field dominated by IBM, which generated $54 billion in revenue from technology services last year. HP's technology services revenue will more than double to more than $38 billion with the addition of EDS, which had $22 billion in revenue last year.

To make sure the EDS takeover pays off, HP indicated it will make significant layoffs as it eliminates overlapping jobs and other expenses. In conference calls with media and analysts this morning, HP Chief Executive Mark Hurd and EDS CEO Ronald Rittenmeyer declined to estimate how many workers might lose their jobs.

"There are obviously going to be some changes," said Rittenmeyer, who will run the combined technology services unit and report directly to Hurd.

The combined services business would have 210,000 employees and operations in more than 80 countries. It will retain the EDS brand and EDS' Plano, Texas headquarters.

HP is already the world's largest maker of personal computers. They vaulted past Dell in that department by purchasing Compaq Computer. They sure like buying things to get bigger. Maybe they can buy Yahoo! next. They might not know what to do with it, but they'll already have a big pile of pink stationery they can use after the acquisition.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Tue, May 13 2008 5:24 PM

Meh, I absolutely hate HP. Look at my sig. No overclocking ability AT ALL!

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Wed, May 21 2008 7:53 AM

Who is it that runs NEWEGG I thought it was EDS. I hope not I don't wanna see the egg go down :(

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

And HP continues to grow.  Geeze.  They already are edging out Dell and smacking around Acer, but now they are trying to tackle IBM?

Hello

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS