why do people need mult monitors

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
nelsoncp21 Posted: Tue, Apr 29 2008 8:46 AM
maybe I don't get it cause I have never used it but why do people use 2 or even more monitors instead of 1 big one. is it really that beneficial.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Sure.  It's more than just bigger space.  You can play a full screen game on one monitor, while the other has whatever you want on it (video, instant messenger, webpage, etc).  That's the best use I have seen for it. 

Hello

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

If you have to ask the question you have never needed them.... I would love another 22". Why? So i can have photoshop up on one and 3ds max up on the other, it would make work much much faster a eaiser.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

It's more curiousity than anything. So do applications automatically open up on the other screens when you have something already opened or how does that work. There have been times when it would have been convenient to be able to view 2 different things at once but not a necessity. Like I said I am more just curious.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 259
Points 4,555

I have my primary 22inch monitor and then another 19inch monitor on the side.

You can set it up different ways... one configuration is to have both screens duplicate what you are looking at. Another simply "spans" the view, meaning it splits whatever you are doing across the two monitors.. the third configuration (which is what I use) simply lets each monitor be independent (i.e. resolutions) but you can drag or operate programs/utilities on both monitors.

For instance, if I drag my firefox window off to the designated side of my main monitor, it will appear on my secondary monitor. I have x-fire and AIM set up on my secondary monitor (which stay there automatically) which is nice because it is out of the way of video games and homework/browsing. While the monitors are connected, with this configuration, you can dedicate one monitor to run a sole task. So my main 22inch will have COD4 playing, and my 19 inch secondary monitor has xfire and aim open (and visible).. and maybe some itunes or chat windows.

It rules!

Dynamically Scaled Oblique Flying Wing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-eTXIyYYQ

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

So if you need to clik on something say on your secondary monitor, would you just than drag your mouse to the side of the screen and it would appear on the secondary monitor? It actually does sound like a pretty cool setup.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 259
Points 4,555

nelsoncp21:
So if you need to clik on something say on your secondary monitor, would you just than drag your mouse to the side of the screen and it would appear on the secondary monitor? It actually does sound like a pretty cool setup.

Ya.. so in my case... I just drag my cursor off the right edge of my main screen and it appears on my secondary (in this case, my secondary monitor is to the left of my main one... so it takes a while to get used to since I drag off to the right and it shows up on the left monitor).

Its a cool setup... offers a lot more space.

Dynamically Scaled Oblique Flying Wing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-eTXIyYYQ

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,922
Points 24,695
digitaldd replied on Wed, Apr 30 2008 7:26 AM

nelsoncp21:
maybe I don't get it cause I have never used it but why do people use 2 or even more monitors instead of 1 big one. is it really that beneficial.

2 smaller monitor also tend to be cheaper than one big one, 2 like sized standard display screens side by side is like one giant wide screen monitor, if the bezel edges do not bother you.. :D 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 235
Points 3,045
higgamo replied on Fri, May 2 2008 1:53 AM

yea 2 moniter are great some times like if im playing a match if i die i can surf the web or watch a movie or something, but that when i had 2 monitors =( 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Fri, May 2 2008 5:50 AM

There can be a productivity gain but I reckon that many like the kudos that coms with two monitors. It would be like having two bathrooms in a house. You only need one but having two adds convience. However for me anyway a better setup is one monitor two computers and a KVM switch. Run all background software such as uTorrent, iTunes, folding, archiving/converter tools on the inferior computer. The other for games.

-Dev

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Sat, May 3 2008 12:40 AM

Multi-monitors are great for when you need a lot of space. Like others have mentioned, it is great for editing and stuff. Other things that come to mind are for engineering and maybe even stock investing. There is a lot of information and it is helpful to view all the charts and once and compare them and figure out trends, especially if you are trying to predict something.

There is one game that sort of took advantage of dual monitors and that game is Supreme Commander. I believe one screen was normal and the 2nd one was some sort of strategical map view. I guess this was kind of helpful since the levels are huge and there are so many units that it might help to have a strategic view. I don't know, I never tried it. 

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Mon, May 12 2008 4:00 PM

There are a lot of reasons.

1) Play game in one monitor and have liek a cheat listopen on the other.
2) Keep your AIM buddy List one monitor so you cna always know whos is online
3) just because you ahve th ability to.

4) My favorite reason is that it looks like a command center.

5) Editing

6) Photoshop or other graphically work.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 85

Having 2 displays can be a life saver at times, they come in real handy when writing and DTP...........;) Pretty much everything is drop and drag.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS