XFX MG-630I-7159 nForce 630i / GeForce 7150 Mobo

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,097
Points 1,183,535
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 25 2008 10:25 AM

We have just posted a new article here at HotHardware in which we evaluate the features, performance, and value of XFX's nForce 630i GeForce 7150 based motherboard, the cryptically named MG-630I-7159.  Thanks to its integrated graphics processor, the MG-630I-7159 sports VGA, DVI, and HDMI outputs, and it's got some other handy on-board features as well, like an LED POST code error reporter and micro power and reset switches.  Head on over to the site and check it out...

XFX MG-630I-7159 nForce 630i / GeForce 7150 Motherboard

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Dang, that intergrated graphics chip sucks.  Yeah, yeah, I know it's not made for high end gaming.  But it's not good at all.  The AMD 780G chipset is a little faster, comparing the benchmarks in Company of Heroes with the Asus and Gigabyte boards you guys reviewed.  Sure the systems aren't identical, but considering Core 2 Duo CPUs are usually better, you can tell that the 780G is responsible for AMD's superior onboard graphics performance.

Hello

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Fri, Apr 25 2008 2:01 PM
well integrated graphics arent really meant for anything other than os uses and other various tasks. ig is for people on budgets, and 90 dollars is a good price for this motherboard, plus xfx is a good company.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,474
Points 47,055
ForumsAdministrator
No dual-channel memory support? Yuk. What were they thinking...

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 210
Points 2,845
shanewu replied on Fri, Apr 25 2008 3:28 PM
I reacted that way too, Super Dave, but as you can see, the single-channel memory doesn't really affect performance as much as you might expect.

"Everyone always wants new things. Everybody likes new inventions, new technology. People will never be replaced by machines. In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy." - Michael Scott (The Office)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,474
Points 47,055
ForumsAdministrator

I understand that this is a budget board, but how much do they save without dual-channel memory support? Heck, they incorporated LED POST code error reporter, but that is just a luxury IMO. I would never buy a board that only ran single-channel. I am an XFX fanboy, and I purchased a 7800GS and a 6600GT OC from them back in the day when they were top-dawg (and expensive). XFX has a wonderful Double Lifetime Protection Warranty on their video cards, but I wouldn't buy this motherboard even if it had that same warranty. Sorry, but I consider dual-channel to be mandatory. I hope someone from XFX is reading this!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 220
n0nsense replied on Sun, Apr 27 2008 8:39 AM

Hm ...

nice review.

First a little remark for all complaining on single chanel memory:

This is not XFX fault, this is the chipset feature. This is the low-end/HTPC chipset and really no need for more expensive dual channel memory controller. Soon Nvidia goin to release MCP7A intel chipsets that will replace all 7xx0 chipsets. They will support dual channel DDR2/DDR3. DX10, more SATA II and more USB ports.

As for the review:

I really miss this board compared to other board based on same chipset with similar features like GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H.

As i remember the eSATA connection is not hardwired (you need to connect it with regular SATA cable from connector behind rear panel to one of the four in the corner) on XFX and it is the real miss. More cables more mess  :) 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Welcome to the forums nO!

Neat little board for the market segment it caters to IMO.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 220
n0nsense replied on Sun, Apr 27 2008 11:27 AM

Thanks for HOT welcome :)

Neat is exact thing that this board does not fit with its eSATA ugly thing.  I actually thought to build an HTPC since i had all parts (left from upgrades of the main) except mobo and case. I'm nvidia fan (reasonable, i wont by something that isn't good) and after some research i came to this one at newegg. Nice one, but after going through reviews, I found this thing about eSATA. Then i found GIGABYTE board and it was looking better build quality. But after all, the HTPC idea was dropped and replaced by PS3 (much more cost effective and the only thing to replace was HD). I've installed linux on PS3 and mow it is small, nice HTPC with blue ray and after reboot it can be game console (but i really prefer PC gaming)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

PC gaming is awesome, but console games are deffinately getting WAY better lately.

So far Uncharted is 1 of the best games I've ever played on any platform and GTA IV is going to be incredible... I'm sure of it!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 220
n0nsense replied on Sun, Apr 27 2008 12:17 PM

I'm FPS guy :)

Titles like ETQW still not released on consoles. And do not forget resolutions.

I have two Full HD panels. 24" Dell for PC and 42" Toshiba for HT. Somehow I do feel the difference in favor of PC in image quality. The Cell BE paired with XDR + RSX inside PS3 is a monster but can't compare with overclocked to 3.6 Q6700 (FSB 1600) in sync mode with 2x2GB of DDR2 800 @ 4-4-3-12-1T + pair of  8800GT on 680i :)  Actually i'm planing to do benchmarking PC vs PS3. But to do this i have to make systems run same OS and this is not easy task since my main running on Gentoo x86_64 and the PS3 32 and 64 versions of Gentoo considered Experimental (which mean lot of time to spend on solving strange problems). I'll probably do it next time i'll get sick :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

n0nsense:
Titles like ETQW still not released on consoles.

ETQW is slated for release on PS3. LINK

IMO comparing a high end gaming rig to a console is a fruitless endeavor as the PC will emerge victorious hands down.

Weighing the merrits of a console and it's games must be done relatively.

I've seen the absolute best of what PC gaming has to offer as of late 1st hand(had a great rig that I sold... scored 13K+ on 3D 06) and could sing PC gaming's praises all day, but am of the mind that great gaming experiences can be had on all platforms and don't feel that direct comparisons are warranted.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 220
n0nsense replied on Sun, Apr 27 2008 12:46 PM

recoveringknowitall:

n0nsense:
Titles like ETQW still not released on consoles.

ETQW is slated for release on PS3. LINK

IMO comparing a high end gaming rig to a console is a fruitless endeavor as the PC will emerge victorious hands down.

Weighing the merrits of a console and it's games must be done relatively.

SLATED on 22.05 :)

6 month after PC release.

This is exactly what i'm going to do :)  By benchmarking PC applications optimized for the platform (Gentoo gives the ability to do it) i'll find what is this "relatively" in numbers.

but unfortunately, Sony locked access to RSX so i wont be able to compare 3D performance. It should be similar or very close to 7800 but can't be sure if not tested.

Another thing, don't forget that consoles are very optimized for specific tasks and so the games usually optimized to take full advantage of their hardware. for example PC games compiled with general optimizations and do not use all instructions of new CPUs as they supposed to be compatible with 2-5 years old PCs.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

I'm not into boiling things down and picking them apart... I just wanna game.

Having fun is paramount for me!!!

If a person is unable to have fun/as much fun as a direct result of realizing that better GFX, faster framerates and higher resolutions can be had... I see that as a flaw in the individuals thinking rather than a shortcoming of the hardware/software itself.

Just my oppinion of course. 

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 220
n0nsense replied on Sun, Apr 27 2008 2:49 PM

What about having fun vs. having more fun ?

There is no difference in fun level (IMO only) between 50 fps and 250 fps. (unless you have inferiority complex of "Who has the bigger whatever" kind)

But there is a huge difference in fun level when your cortex stimulated by more impressive and more advanced visual and sound effects. 

This is the point of gaming or anything else we do. Achieve maximum possible level of fun Wink

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

n0nsense:

But there is a huge difference in fun level when your cortex stimulated by more impressive and more advanced visual and sound effects. 

This is the point of gaming or anything else we do. Achieve maximum possible level of fun Wink

I disagree, but am too lazy to fully debate the issue with you(trivial IMO)... realize that your statement is absolutely an oppinion and not by any means the last word or bottom line.

I'll simply add that there are those who can achieve their own personal maximum fun level playing Mike Tyson's Punch Out on NES vs playing Crysis in all it's glory at 1080p... different strokes for different folks.

BTW: Sorry to all for straying off topic... any further comments really should be about the board.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 220
n0nsense replied on Sun, Apr 27 2008 4:22 PM

of course it is opinion :)

every one have right for opinion.  

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Although this lil board isn't perfect if I had a friend that needed a very basic build on a budget, I'd get it. So long as I could find it for about 50 bux, which I bet I could at either Newegg or Fry's.

I think even average consumers realize that onboard GFX solutions aren't really inteneded for gaming. Single ch. config will suffice for general computing and e-sata while faster than USB, isn't a deal breaker IMO... especially for an entry lv. board like this.

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 310
Redline replied on Mon, Apr 28 2008 11:35 PM

I have this board, among others, and I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised. The whole single channel memory thing isn't really a big deal since it doesn't seem to impact performance much. Also, the onboard graphics are excellent for video, making it a good candidate for a HTPC - especially since it has onboard HDMI and support for Blu-Ray. And since there is a PCI Express slot, you could always plug in a much better graphics card if you decide to do any gaming.

I only have a couple of complaints: 

1. The board includes IDE and FDD connectors. Personally, I would have preferred more SATA connectors, but not a big deal either way. I guess it makes it easier for someone transitioning from an older system.
  2. The onboard Gigabit controller is terrible. It constantly drops connections and ended up forcing me to add in a simple LAN card instead. I searched the Internet and found this is a common complaint with the board. Again, not a critical issue since I had an old Linksys card sitting around, but now I'm running at 10/100 instead of Gigabit speeds. XFX support can't seem to fix the issue, but hopefully they'll get it straightened out down the road.

Overall the board is very good, especially for something in a mATX format. It has a lot of features and I was able to overclock much higher than in the review since I used the Intel E6750 processor with 1333 FSB. I was able to push the FSB up to 1670 without a lot of trouble, and it was extremely stable at that speed. Not bad being able to push a 2.66GHz processor to 3.34GHz with air cooling on an $80 dollar board!

P4 3.06GHz 512 MB RDRAM 1066 Radeon...oh just forget about it

Just Kidding!

E6750 overclocked to 3.2GHz with 2GB OCZ PC2-6400

Zalman CNPS9500 LED CPU cooler
Abit IP-35 Pro motherboard
2GB OCZ PC2 6400
BFG 8800GT OC 512MB
Corsair HX620W modular power supply
Antec Nine Hundred Case

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS