Most Expensive MacBook Air?

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,345
Points 1,191,290
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Apr 22 2008 8:17 PM

You know you have compensation issues when you buy the latest Apple thin & light laptop and feel the need to replace the shell with a 24k gold coated, gem studded variant.

Whatever drives people to want such outrageously and expensive mods, Computer Choppers is there to meet those needs.  The company offers so many services and customization options, but here are just a few examples of the plating and polishing to virtually any piece of electronics:
  • Aluminum (polishing)
  • Nickel
  • Black Nickel
  • Copper
  • Chrome
  • 24kt Yellow Gold
  • White Gold
  • Rose Gold
  • Platinum 
The exact price of the gem-studded, 24k mod to the AirBook is unknown at this time, but if we had that kind of money we might spend it trying to actually make the MacBook Air a little more usable.  Finding some way to replace the on-board memory with higher-density chips would probably be a priority for us.  Of course, having a chromed-out laptop does have its appeal to muscle car aficionados such as yours truly.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Tue, Apr 22 2008 9:00 PM

wow, i can see a painjob being nice, but gold plating and gems? jeez id rather donate the money to a charity. some people have too much money and should look at other things to spend their money on than gem studded laptops. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Sell the house!  I'll buy one right away!

I agree that even rich people have better things to spend their money on... 

Hello

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,614
Points 67,270
^Bad_Boy^ replied on Wed, Apr 23 2008 7:03 AM
I don't see the point either...

It still has only 1 USB Port :o/

Dammit! What's My Age Again???

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Wed, Apr 23 2008 7:56 AM
That's pretty ridiculous. And wait, the Macbook Air only has one USB port!? I find that hard to believe.

Oh, and there appears to be a typo in the link to "computer-choippers.com" so it doesn't work.

><((((">Lev Astov

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,034
Points 45,870
ForumsAdministrator
MikeL_HH replied on Wed, Apr 23 2008 9:28 AM
Hey Lev, believe it. The Air only has a USB port, headphone port and a micro-DVI output port. That is it. Three whole connections in total. No ethernet, no Firewire, not even a microphone port. Battery isn't even user-removable. Form-over-fuction, isn't it great?

"My computer isn't slow, it's just being careful."

Join the Official HotHardware Folding Team!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Wed, Apr 23 2008 10:16 AM

LovelyCrap:
Hey Lev, believe it. The Air only has a USB port, headphone port and a micro-DVI output port. That is it. Three whole connections in total. No ethernet, no Firewire, not even a microphone port. Battery isn't even user-removable. Form-over-fuction, isn't it great?

well yeah some people would give up those things for the portability, look at the motorola razer when it came out it was small and every one wanted it because it was small. it had a bad camera, bad voice quality, etc etc....

they also have a usb-ethernet adaptor so you can use ethernet, and it does have wifi :-) 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 3,200
vicaphit replied on Wed, Apr 23 2008 4:13 PM

ice_73:
they also have a usb-ethernet adaptor so you can use ethernet

Nice, so if you want ethernet, you have to use up the only USB port?

Biggest waste of money ever, even if you just buy a plastic shell.  Don't get me started on the Platinum plated.

AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT 512Mb, Ultra X3 1000W PSU
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Wed, Apr 23 2008 6:32 PM

From a business stand point...

I think this is a great idea. Kudos to the person who thought up of this company. Another outlet for a rich man's (or woman's) wallet.

I wonder what kind of profits they are making.  

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,614
Points 67,270
^Bad_Boy^ replied on Wed, Apr 23 2008 7:51 PM
lol RyuGTX...

--

I still think the Asus Eee PC is so much more a better deal, if you'e talking about portability...

Dammit! What's My Age Again???

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS