PayPal Plans to Ban Unsafe Browsers

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,694
Points 1,156,740
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 17 2008 8:03 PM

Using an old browser?  If you're planning to use PayPal, you might consider updating.

PayPal, one of the brands most spoofed in phishing attacks, is working on a plan to block its users from making transactions from Web browsers that don't provide anti-phishing protection.

The eBay-owned company, which runs a Web-based payment system that allows the transfer of funds between bank accounts and credit cards, said browsers that do not have support for blocking identity theft-related Web sites or for EV SSL (Extended Validation Secure Sockets Layer) certificates are considered "unsafe" for financial transactions.

Honestly, although some may consider PayPal's "threat" draconian, it's in your own best interest to switch to a "modern" browser.  And no, it's doesn't have to be IE.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Sounds like a good thing to me.  I wonder if Netscape is covered, since I'm sure some people still use it for fun.  But there are enough browsers out there for this not to be a problem. 

Hello

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 340
Softix replied on Fri, Apr 18 2008 9:54 AM
Well i know us firefox users are safe and i never liked ie they should just make firefox the default browser for the internet and make all programers join and make it even safer
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

You can't just make a browser the default... there's competition.  Even MS got took a law suit for including IE.  Plus, although FF is popular, it's still in the minority.  If #1, more virus' would be targetted for it.  Right now IE still has the most. 

Hello

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 4,205

They have to post this all other the place because if some people do not know what Paypal is going to do ,they will lose their accounts and it is not their fault for that! 

Photobucket
Not Ranked
Posts 79
Points 1,165
deathman replied on Mon, Apr 21 2008 3:13 PM

Softix:
Well i know us firefox users are safe and i never liked ie they should just make firefox the default browser for the internet and make all programers join and make it even safer

Uh hu... and if I swithed today there would be still sites that I wouldn't beable to access thanks to FF.  Its user preference to what they can use.  Obviously IE has more market penatration since its been around since the beginning, and its the default browser on many computers.  As well big companies when they lock down PC's, well there is only IE on them so unless you tell huge companies to open up to use a new browser, and yet still have IE on there for those other tasks, doubtful that it will happen.

Once something becomes popular, it will be targeted plain and simple.

The Mobo ----------- Abit IP35-Pro The CPU ------------ E8400 @ 4.05+Ghz w/ 1.37V Bios / 1.21V CPU-z The Cooling -------- Theramlright Extreme 120 -- 42C or Lower Idle / 51C Load The Memory -------- G.Skill PC-6400 4x1Gig 5-5-5-12 Timings -- 450Mhz w/ 2.15V The GPU ------------ EVGA 8800GT w/ 1.1V @ 783/1998/999 -- 32 Idle / 42 Load The HDD’s ---------- 2x 320Gig Seagate Perps in Raid 0 w/ 320Gig HotSwap Backup & 160Gig External The PSU ------------ SilverStone DA750 The Case ----------- Antec P180 The Monitor -------- Dell 2405FPW LCD 24" Of Pure Enjoyment
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS