Gas Masks for a Beverly Hills Apocalypse

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,382
Points 1,192,300
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 10 2008 10:47 AM

We're not 100% sure if we think these are in poor taste based on 9/11 (OK, they likely are), but they are still ... well, interesting.

A few years ago--specifically, after Sept. 11, 2001--something like a jewel-studded gas mask would have been considered to be in poor taste, to say the least. And it still is, in our opinion, but that doesn't count for much when you're talking about obscenely expensive designer items showcased at the Luxury Show 2008 in Bucharest. That was, after all, the site of such egregiousness as a 24k-plated Hummer.

The gems pictured here are the products of artist Diddo Velema' along with Gucci and Louis Vuitton, according to Dvice, some even encrusted with diamonds. Velema explains the concept thusly: "We are in a state of perpetual war--with ourselves and with the eco-system that sustains us. Perpetual war breeds perpetual fear. In the present context, this fear stems from our extreme desire for authenticity and manifests itself in our collectively insatiable culture of consumption. Deep down, we are afraid we may never be satisfied. An expanding archive of branded myths and icons feeds this fear. Designer Gas Masks is an attempt to visualize this state of mind. Because it is only by first acknowledging and then challenging fear that we will all be able to breathe a little easier."

Breath easier?  Tongue-in-cheek?   Still crosses the line, somewhat, in our book.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

That so completely unneccessary that I love it.  However, people in a crisis usually act very wild, and anyone wearing a jewel-studded gas mask is liable to get mugged, I'd say.

Hello

• | Post Points: 5
replied on Thu, Apr 10 2008 2:53 PM
Yeh i am sure with anthax floating in the air people would care wether their designer clothes match their gem studed gas mask.. sigh..
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 7,045
AjayD replied on Thu, Apr 10 2008 7:34 PM

The intended ideas symbolized be these gas masks are quite true. I think the designer could have chosen something less controversial than a gas mask, but that may not have achieved the same effect. I find it a bit ironic that Gucci and Louis Vuitton would cooperate with the designer on these, considering their *message* speaks directly to the type of people who would buy items from them. It's almost as if they are pointing out the absurdity of their own customers.

* "In the present context, this fear stems from our extreme desire for authenticity and manifests itself in our collectively insatiable culture of consumption. Deep down, we are afraid we may never be satisfied. An expanding archive of branded myths and icons feeds this fear."

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Points 2,250
mazuki replied on Mon, Apr 14 2008 11:02 PM
wow. that really sums it up. i'm not sure, but i think i saw some music performers already toting gas masks, but what is going to happen now? wearing these instead of their goggles...errr glasses?
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS