Project "Frostbyte" (Loads of pics)

rated by 0 users
This post has 204 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Der Meister:

I have 3ds max which will work,

On a side note just noticed that all the fans are "intake" fans at the moment...Wouldnt you want them as exhaust fans so the hot air is not fed into the case? just wondering 

The reason I ask is because the place that I am having make my front rad grill asked for a autocad of it and I have no way of making one. If I provided you with measurements and a rough sketch do you think it is something you could possibly do?

As for the intake's on the front, I am not to worried about the hot air blowing in as all major components will be watercooled and I want to use the coolest air possible to push through the rads. Even the Mb will have NB, SB and mosfets on it.I even even still debating going with the ocz flex 2 ram.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

humm if there asking for an auto cad then I cant do it with my program I'm guessing y=there going to import it into a computer and go from there... Wish i could help but i don't know that program 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

That's alright Der Meister. I am trying to convince the guy to do it with out the autocad . we'll see.

I know it seems like I am making little progress here but seriously I have been spending atleast an hour a night on this thing and some nights alot more. The front rads are securley mounted now and I got the 5.25" bays back in and everything fits great. Now I have to cut the front panel cover for the rad/fan grill and also to fit the LCD temp readouts in. Sholdn't be to hard. I think the hardest part is over with the exception of the painting which I have been working on everynight. I have been working on the case inbetween primer coats and sanding. I am really starting to get excited about how it's turning out already. I know I still have alot of work to do but I can already see it taking form. The depressing part will be having to take everything back apart to sand and paint and finish the inners. Well like I promised here's some more pics.

remounting 5.25" bays front view

remounting 5.25" bays side view

The CDROM in the pic was just an old 1 laying around the house I used to gauge the space. I don't even know if it works!

remounting 5.25" bays rear view

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

I've missed most of this thread, but I like I what I see.  What hardware are you gonna put in there?  GPU, CPU, etc?

Hello

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
Crisis Causer:

I've missed most of this thread, but I like I what I see.  What hardware are you gonna put in there?  GPU, CPU, etc?

I have a thread in the build section about hardware for it. I haven't completelt decided yet. So far a 680i board, e8400 and probally 2 8800gts's. I have been debating between chipsets.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 235
Points 3,045
higgamo replied on Wed, Apr 30 2008 8:03 PM

=O nice cant want to see when its finish

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Well I got the holes cut for the thermaltake lcd thermal readouts that go with the flow meters. Just thought I would give ya'll and update and of course a pic. Still aways from the finished product but it's moving along. The painting is what is taking forever. Enjoy the pic.

Photobucket

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Well after a entire weekend of frustrating painting I think I got a system down. I had read plenty on how too's some had way more steps than others in painting and sanding so I tried to find a happy medium. I figure I could share my success's and failures with ya'll. First thing I did with the side panel was take some 800 grit sand paper and sand enough to smooth out the factory paint but not take the paint completely off. Many people will tell you to take it down to bare metal and many won't. I have seen pics of both and can't tell a difference so I saved a few steps by just hitting it with some 800 grit. If I went donw to bare metal than I would have to use a filler compound and etching primer. After I wet sanded with the 800 I hit it with a coat of primer. Than I sanded with 1200 grit first and than 2000 grit. The panel was smoother than a babies but after this step so I was good to go and put my first coat of paint on. I goofed and let the paint run. I think I sprayed a little to close so I had to hit it again with the 1200 and 200 grit wet sand. I than added another 2 coats of paint and started noticing little bumbs in the paint. So I sanded again with 1200 and 2000. Than another coat of paint and still the same result. I than realized it was lint causing the bumps so my lint free rags weren't so lint free. So I bought new rags and wet sanded again. This time after 2 coats it looks really good. I need to hit it again with atleast 4 more coats before I using compound on it and the clear coat. I also started on the top panel. Got my first 2 coats on that too. So some frustrating lessons learned here. well I couldn't post without a pic so here's the side panel after 2 "GOOD" coats of paint.

Ignore the white spots in the top right corner of the panel. Not sure why that is on the picture cause they're not on the panel at all. May have been the light or dust on the lense of the camera. The panel to the left is the 1 I have been painting and the 1 on the right is factory paint.

8coats of paint on side panel

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 946
Points 16,610

Keep going Nelson, the paint looks superb especially if its a first time effort. Wish I had the time/ working environment to try and paint up a case myself. Looks like the hard work is paying off for you though:)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Tue, May 13 2008 5:49 PM

Amazing Job! I really wish I could do somethign like that.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Thanks guys.  I really am still working on it even though I haven't posted anything new. I have to let the paint dry for 2 weeks before I can sand again and then clear coat. I just got in my rad for the side of the case so I am fixing to start work on the other side tonight. I have to make the brackets to hold the rad and the grill cutout,plus the window on the side and then the new backplate for the psu to invert it so the rad will fit on the side. After that I will be all done with cutting and it's strictly painting from there.

2 things that I have done differently to get a better result when painting that I think I should mention. First, after the water dries from wet sanding I take a lint free rag and wipe the surface with denatured alcohol. Then I take a Tac cloth and wipe over the surface just before I paint. It has made a world of difference.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Sat, May 17 2008 7:22 PM

Where would you but LCD readouts?

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

They are already mounted. look at the pic on this page a couple posts up showing the front of the case.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,409
Points 46,520
ForumsAdministrator

SqUiD267:

SqUiD, I don't wish to slam you, but I can't decipher your post!Hmm

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

atleast he didn't say butt lcd readoutsStick out tongue. I think he meant put!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 458
Points 6,985
AjayD replied on Sun, May 18 2008 4:58 PM

I really like the way your case is beginning to take form. I may have to do something like this myself in the not so distant future. What would you estimate the total cost will be for your case and cooling build, everything included with the exception of actual PC components?

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

So far I have spent around $1100. That is for the case, the 3 rads, 10 fans, paint and sanding materials, lcd temp readouts and flow meter and the psu. I still have to purchase waterblocks, pumps and resevoirs and lighting which will probally run me 700-800 bucks. I would guesstimate that the overall case and cooling will costs me about 2 grande when all is said and done. Now granted you don't have to drop the ridiculous amount of cash on half the stuff I did but it's all about what you want. And really if you look at it half of the costs are tied up in the watercooling components. It's not cheap to run 3 loops each with multiple blocks. The blocks alone are gonna costs me over $500. So don't get discouraged if you don't have 2 grande to blow on a case and cooling. I'd say $500 could get you a decent mod/build with a watercooling setup if you wanted. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,063
Points 46,755
Elsparrow replied on Sun, May 18 2008 7:07 PM
Looks good dude.  Keep up the work.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Sun, May 18 2008 7:26 PM

Super Dave:

SqUiD267:

SqUiD, I don't wish to slam you, but I can't decipher your post!Hmm

oops sorry I meant buy LCD readouts, do they jsut give temps ect on ur pc.

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

No it's a kit. It comes with a flow indicator that has a thermal sensor built in and is wired to the lcd readout. but yes you can get lcd readouts with thermal probes. Most are made for 5.25" bays though.

Hey Elsp. how ya been. Good to see you stop in.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 458
Points 6,985
AjayD replied on Mon, May 19 2008 5:41 AM

Thanks for the info Nelson. Unfortunately I need both my arms and legs, so I can't afford to spend 2g on a case and cooling. Although, these types of items don't get replaced by something newer and better as instantaneously as PC components do so they can be bought one at a time. I envision building a slightly more affordable setup consisting of a single 4x120mm fan radiator with cooling for the CPU and chipset.

If you haven't checked this site out yet, you may want to take a look. I am interested to see what pumps, tubing, etc. you are going to use.

I look forward to more updates.

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

I got the side rad bracket cut and mounted. Just like evrything else so far it's still in it's rough stages and not the finished product but i figure I owe ya'll some pics since I haven't posted any in awhile. I had to actually turn the 2 thermochill rads in the front around the other way since the fittings would have been in the way so now they are on the MB side of my case. That may require a little more creative thinking on my part when it comes time to route the tubing. I still have to cut the side panel and make the psu plate.

view from side

view from top

view from the back

So there it is. EnjoyBig Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,872
Points 64,370

Awsome work bro. I always wanted a case like that until i realized how big they actually were. Very good work!

now you got a nice, shiny new video card and processor to throw in there! : )

Intel E6850 * Patriot 4GB DDR 2 800 * EVGA 8800 Ultra * EVGA 680i Mobo "It's my...err...human nature to always want more!"- Myself Gamer Tags: X-Box 360 - Linus84 | PS3- Linus84 | Wii- 013014813390

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Thanks, it's not really that bad. It's just like having 2 mid towers side by side.

entermymatrix03:

now you got a nice, shiny new video card and processor to throw in there! : )

Yea with no MB to run them onSad but I am still psyched about the win!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

So many rads...

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,063
Points 46,755
Elsparrow replied on Wed, May 21 2008 7:19 AM

Radical.

I'll get my coat.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,872
Points 64,370

^^HAHA!

You could always sell your old stuff for a new mobo or just splurge. The most expensive equipment has already been taken care of! : )

(You could also sell your kid!) HAHAHHA!

Intel E6850 * Patriot 4GB DDR 2 800 * EVGA 8800 Ultra * EVGA 680i Mobo "It's my...err...human nature to always want more!"- Myself Gamer Tags: X-Box 360 - Linus84 | PS3- Linus84 | Wii- 013014813390

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

I already budgeted for a new MB it's just picking 1 out that's the problem!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,872
Points 64,370

Read some reviews or ask the guys what they recommend. I haven't looked at Mobo's since I got my recent one.  

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

I am still working on it guys. Not as much recently due to a very busy schedule. The painting has been long and frustrating but I am getting there. Hopefully I will have some new pics by next week.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 836
Points 9,580
Eric replied on Mon, Jun 16 2008 12:15 PM

wow, nice work.. looks like it's coming along nicely.. I will have to keep an eye on this thread.. should be a nice build when finished :D

My Rig: -AMD Athlon 64 3200 "Venice" -ASUS A8n SLI -2 gigs GelL RAM - XFX 6800GS XXX Edition - Thermaltake 450 watt PSU
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Figure I would throw in an update. Painting is pretty much on hold right now. The heat and humidity here doesn't combine well with it. Unfortunately the only place I can paint is in the garage which is ungodly hot and the paint just beads right up so I will have to hold off till cooler wheather. The unfinished part of the basement that I was working in has no windows or any way for the fumes to vent so I can't paint down there. Almost all the cutting is done now. I have to move the side rad up about a half inch so I will need to recut the brackets I made for it. I'll try to get some pics up later this week after I get the rad fixed. I am also still waiting on the front fan grill for my case which hopefully DD is ready to start working on for me.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

could you paint out side and then move it inside?

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

I could try it. It beads up pretty quick though almost immediately. Couldn't hurt at this point. I do have a walk out to the basement I could spray it there and then bring it inside where the basement is always the coolest part of the house anyway. I'll give it a shot.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

i guess if it will not work it will just take some more sanding to get it back to normal

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

pretty much. at this point it's all I seem to do anymore is paint and sand, paint and sand. I am enjoying it though. I will kinda be a bit sad when it's done

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135
Looking good. When you finish up you can start working on my case! I wish I have the room at my place to do a nice mod.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

lol you send me the case and whatever materials and I'd do it in a heart beat. after I finish mine of course!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Sat, Aug 9 2008 7:33 PM

Nothing like the smell of modding in the morning. Nice work

Fold On!!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

So here are some pictures after all the cutting is done. I still don't have the front fan grill in and alot of painting still needs to be done but here's a rough look of what the final outcome will be. I am very happy with the way things are turning out.

Here's the front(missing the rad grill)

Here'e the MB side.(excuse the rough paint and tape)

The back. I am very happy with the way the PSU plate turned out. I still have to sand and paint it. My measurment was slightly off but I am not too concerned as it's the back of the case anyway.

Pump side. I have done any painting to this side at all and I still need to get some mesh to cover the fans.

Top View. I am relieved at how well the psu fit in.

So there she is. I gots lots of painting to do. I have to strip it all apart again though to paint the inside of the case now. I think I am going to concentrate on that since the panels really don't have to be done for it to be together and running.

• | Post Points: 50
Page 2 of 6 (205 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS