Microsoft to Pilot Office Anti-piracy Nagging

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,739
Points 1,209,625
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Apr 8 2008 10:12 PM

You'll recall that Microsoft has removed the "kill switch" in Windows Vista, meaning that users of suspected counterfeit copies will nagged rather than losing functionality. Microsoft is about to launch a pilot program for Office, with similar nagging notifications.

"Consumers will receive a pop-up dialog box alerting them that their Microsoft Office software is not genuine," said Cori Hartje, the director of Microsoft's Genuine Software Initiative, the company's anti-counterfeit operation.

According to Hartje, the new OGA notification system will display a pop-up the first time each day a user opens any Office application, and it will follow that with another dialog box two hours later. The process will continue for up to 30 days.

After the one-month run of the pop-up, Hartje said, the scheme changes. "Office applications will be marked with a visual reminder that the copy of Office is not genuine," she continued. "[But] none of the visual cues presented will impair a customer from accessing their data or preparing documents."

The reminders will disappear only when the user uninstalls the pirated copy of Office or replaces it with a valid version.

The lucky countries in the pilot program will be Chile, Italy, Span and Turkey.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Wait, really?  That's all Vista does?  Tug at your arm and say "c'mon, please stop pirating"?  Not that I'm planning to pirate Vista, but that seems surprisingly lenient, especially from Microsoft.  If Office will end up doing this to, I wonder how many people will pirate. 

Hello

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 259
Points 4,555

I don't think the number of "piraters" will change at all... in reality, you can pirate and still not be nagged or "shut down" by microsoft if you do it correctly... people will still have that same mentality "why pay hundreds of dollars for software when i can get it for free! its from microsoft.. a big company.. they won't be hurting for the money!"

If microsoft does begin to become more harsh or offer penalties, i can gurantee that hackers / download enthusiasts will find a way around it.. as they ALWAYS do.

Dynamically Scaled Oblique Flying Wing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-eTXIyYYQ

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 340
Softix replied on Sun, Apr 13 2008 3:43 PM

mircosoft is just trying to make paid customers feel like they are doing something about pirating but like said before they cant stop it or really know who has it

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Points 2,250
mazuki replied on Mon, Apr 14 2008 11:19 PM
sounds just like WGA, not really a problem.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 235
Points 3,045
higgamo replied on Tue, Apr 15 2008 9:48 AM

this seem to be going in the wrong direction of stoping piracy. but, at least it help if people got a copy os from a seller.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS