Microsoft Denies Xbox 360 Blu-Ray Again

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,836
Points 1,169,890
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Apr 2 2008 5:17 PM

The rumor keeps circulating that Microsoft is indeed going to include a Blu-ray player in future Xbox 360s.  Microsoft continually denies the rumors, such as the one started by DigiTimes regarding a deal with Lite-On to manufacture said drive.

Microsoft's PR department had this say:

“No. Lite-On is not manufacturing Blu-ray drives for Xbox 360. As we have stated, games are what are driving consumers to purchase game consoles and we remain focused on providing the largest library of blockbuster game available.

“For our customers who want a premium movie experience we offer the largest library of on-demand HD content available and the ability to play back DVDs in high definition.“

Microsoft seems to have a crystal clear position: why buy discs at a retailer when you can pay us to download?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Screw downloading.  You only have 24-hours to watch it, and then it's gone.  Better to spend 2 or 3 times more and buy a disc.

I'd like a cheap Blu-ray drive for the 360, but it probably wouldn't be that cheap anyway, since Microsoft upcharges everything by a lot.  You can get a computer internal Blu-ray drive for $130.  That means Microsoft, as the middle man demanding profit, would probably charge $200.  There's no point, really, unless you couldn't hook up your computer to a TV so using the Xbox would be better.  But Microsoft charges $180 for a proprietary 120gb laptop hard drive.  And an unholy $40 for a proprietary 512mb memory stick.  Ack, they'd kill us on a Blu-ray drive.

Hello

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 235
Points 3,045
higgamo replied on Thu, Apr 3 2008 12:29 PM

yea agreed 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,614
Points 67,270
^Bad_Boy^ replied on Thu, Apr 3 2008 12:51 PM
I think they should provide both//

Offer the Blu-Ray Drive and also the HD downloadable content..

Dammit! What's My Age Again???

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 259
Points 4,555

just get a PS3 so you can play blu-rays :)

Blu-ray is going to be the primary higher definition format (since time warner signed on to blu-ray)... they have the majority of the market..I think it would be smart for microsoft to at least offer a blu-ray player at the same price as the HD-DVD player (which is still expensive) for the 360... time may change their minds..

Dynamically Scaled Oblique Flying Wing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-eTXIyYYQ

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

The 360 HD-DVD player is only $50 at some places.  I'd buy a Blu-Ray drive in a heartbeat at that price.  But they couldn't see one that low without losses, I'm sure.

Hello

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS