Macs To Become Mainstrem?

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,746
Points 1,210,170
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Mar 31 2008 7:00 AM

Less than a decade ago Apple was in serious trouble, and even after Steve Jobs retuning to the helm, the company still wasn't out of the woods until the iPod phenomenon hit.  They were losing ground to windows on all fronts, and one of the most important might have turned out to be schools.  While this is all old news to most of us, not everyone has taken a close look at the ramifications of the success of the iPod.

“...students who are used to Apple products grow up, get jobs, and make money. They will then buy more Macs, and will also make Apple products more "mainstream" and become more common in the workforce.”

It may still take a while before the adoption of Macs hits critical mass, but Apple actually topped Dell in the higher-education notebook shipments in 2007, which is no small achievement.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 471
Points 7,075
AjayD replied on Mon, Mar 31 2008 7:25 AM

The iPod is the perfect segue product to create brand recognition and loyalty among younger buyers. I believe Apple holds somewhere in the neighborhood of 17-18% of the total market share for laptops in the US. They have become very popular both on campuses and among professionals. Of course their overall market share is still only around 5% for the US when you include desktop computers, nevertheless this is an impressive accomplishment and quite the  turnaround for them.

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Mon, Mar 31 2008 8:20 AM

I am not sure if its completely normal or not but at my campus there are apple representatives that look just like normal people (dressed casually) that find students based on whether or not they've used a Mac before and then promptly offer internships and discounted hardware.......

A kid that I share a lot of classes with was actually just walking to class and had an apple hat on -- some young guy ran up to him and offered him a internship with Apple (which he accepted). He still works for them to this day (its been about a year and a half) and now promotes Macs (and gets them for darned cheap as well). Apparently Apple is going out of their way to get to the younger generation to spread the word about not only media players, but mobile computing as well...

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,063
Points 10,760
Grahf replied on Mon, Mar 31 2008 10:53 AM

So long as Lord Steve Jobs, peace be upon him, keeps his user's gonads in a vice it'll never happen. Plus look at all the security issues are being found now that Apple's stuff is becoming more popular.

I beat the Internet... the end guy was hard

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Mon, Mar 31 2008 11:13 AM

Security to Mac should be of as much concern as Oil as a primary fuel source is to the world........NEED TO TAKE SOME ACTION!!!

I mean Mac has always been the popular underdog but their popularity is sky-rocketing and I am thinking Mac may have some trouble keeping up?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Macs are becoming mainstream, definitely.  A lot of the laptops I see are Macbooks.  Their desktops don't quite have the same presence, but they have been rising in popularity.  The question is, what percentage do we consider mainstream?  I think realistically Apple can hope for a peak of maybe 25% of the market, maybe a little bigger on the laptop end.  As long as apple only has the MacOS be on their own products, I don't see them ever getting to the majority mark.  Competition breeds lower prices, and all those Dells, HPs, Gateways, etc all have Windows.  Many of them cost less than macs too.  Right now, no one in charge wants MacOS on anything except Mac hardware.  I expect great success, but not quite ever a majority.

Hello

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,142
Points 14,910
frg1 replied on Mon, Mar 31 2008 11:50 AM

i read somewhere that if you consider apple just as a manufactor of laptops and compare there output to someone like dell you will relize they are atually pretty big 

Photobucket
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Mon, Mar 31 2008 6:04 PM

Heres a link I think would be relevant. Check it out.

Apple's Tipping Point.

-Dev 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Mon, Mar 31 2008 6:08 PM

Dev2:

Heres a link I think would be relevant. Check it out.

Apple's Tipping Point.

Link not working for this guy here....(me)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 135
hongsc replied on Mon, Mar 31 2008 7:42 PM

Apple is definitely mainstream-it's everywhere from TV to movies. Ipods are the gateway to the drug know as Apple. I noticed that Ivy League school use Apple exclusively as well.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Tue, Apr 1 2008 9:21 AM

Ok cheers Ice, link should be working now.

-Dev 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS