Best Buy To Blame For “Vista Capable” Problems?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,356
Points 1,191,555
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Mar 28 2008 9:57 PM

The information coming out of Microsoft and Intel camps regarding the “Vista Capable” class action law suit has certainly been interesting.  At first glance some of the data might look damaging, such as documents alleging that Intel wanted the WDDM loosened a bit so that their integrated graphics chipsets such as those in the i915 family would be eligible for a sticker.

But all of this happened well after Best Buy apparently gave the thumbs up to a confusing, two-tier marketing plan that seems to have been cooked up by a small group of Microsoft executives -- Vista product manager Shanen Boettcher, marketing director Rajesh Srinivasan and quite possibly Will Poole.

In an e-mail dated Aug. 9, 2005, Srinivasan informs Boettcher that "Best Buy validates your two tier approach." Included in Srinivasan's two-tier plan is a chart listing hardware requirements for what he calls Vista "Capable" and "Ready" systems.

It's not a large surprise that a retailer would push for a plan that would sell PCs, but we're not entirely sure that is sufficient justification to blame them for the “Vista Capable” problems.  One might as well blame unreasonable & uninformed consumers who wanted to spend as little as possible while being able to run a demanding OS that had yet to be released.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Fri, Mar 28 2008 10:43 PM
I would agree that it was a pretty confusing time -- I had to explain to countless customers what the stickers actually meant....

Looking back, even the Vista capable stickers were not very well-placed (obviously the class-action lawsuits are about this). Celerons with 512MB of RAM in my eyes are certainly not Vista capable

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 7,045
AjayD replied on Sat, Mar 29 2008 2:02 AM
While they may have been a bit too generous in dishing out the Vista Capable badges, I think the customers are ultimately the ones to blame. If someone encountered problems with Vista strictly due to having an underpowered system, that means they probably tried to be as cheap as possible and scrape by with the bare minimum. I am sure all the Vista Capable machines are capable of running Vista, just not necessarily capable of running it well. As any experienced buyer, or anyone over 12 for that matter should know, you get what you pay for.

On the off chance that the customer wasn't being overly frugal, they are still responsible because they didn't do the proper research required to determine what system would adequately meet their needs. If you are cheap or an uninformed buyer, then you are bound to pay for it, one way or another.

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Sat, Mar 29 2008 7:30 AM

well i think its both microsofts and best buys fault hard to differentiate between the two. while intel did push that was expected and unavoidable. best buy and microsoft just had to say no we are not going to do this. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Sat, Mar 29 2008 10:59 PM
That and consumers had to say "wait a minute -- if I use common sense..." *WAIT* I don't know if there are many consumers that think this way so I guess I am in fantasyland here....

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 4,205

Since the appearance of the Vista capable logo,there were problems like this:hardware that was not capable of displaying properly the Aero interface and the hardware was marked as Vista Ready or Vista Capable 

Photobucket
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS