The Console Gaming Thread

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005
Crisis Causer Posted: Tue, Mar 25 2008 12:00 PM

Welcome to the Console Gaming Thread!  It’s located somewhat blasphemously within the PC Gaming forum, but never mind that and be so kind as to embrace its existence by honoring it with your input.  Let us know about your generic console talk: your history, favourites, current toys, and expectations. 

We all can’t play games all of the time.  And with the community here, many turn to their powerful PCs when looking for interactive video entertainment.  But I’m sure many of us have minor or extensive backgrounds with console gaming, if not currently than surely in the past when we were young.

Were you weaned on the old Atari 2600?  Did you enter console gaming with the 32-bit era of the Sony Playstation or Nintendo 64?  Do you battle strangers online in Halo 3 or Resistance: Fall of Man?  Or maybe Super Smash Bros Brawl is your thing?  Whose your best character?

I usually find spare time, especially on the weekends, to play video games.  Hey, it’s a hobby. Recently I’ve been entering a nostalgic gaming phase.  I have an Xbox 360, and the venerable Playstation 2, but most of my console gaming is playing many of the classics. 

Undoubtedly my favourite console ever is the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.  I first played it when I received it for Christmas, 1994.  The now classic sports legendary titles such as Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, and Zelda: Link to the Past.  Other favourites of mine are of course F-Zero, Yoshi’s Island, Final Fantasy III, Mario Kart, and so many others.  If I hit some spot in your memory, then I have found the right crowd.

I have a Nintendo DS, and thanks to homebrew I enjoy classic Gameboy, NES, and recently (last week!) discovered a SNES emulator to have fun with.  The SNES emulator really hit a good spot with me.  I can (and do) play the games on TV, but portable really is a blast.  I’ve even begun playing games that I never played in the past, such as Arkanoid (a Super Breakout type game).  Not to mention the DS has its own unique fun games that I’ve bought and had a blast with.  This handy little device isn’t very powerful, with its paltry 4MB of RAM, but it doesn’t have to be.  When I feel like being a graphics-nut, I have my 360 or PC.

For my 360, I’m looking forward to Ninja Gaiden II right now, as the original from the Xbox 1 was one of the better games of the decade from any platform.  I don’t touch the console as much as I should considering it’s price tag, but have had fun with Gears of War, Dead Rising, Halo 3, among others.

I could go on all day, and will surely add more later if anyone else chimes in.  What say you, friends?  Anything goes.

Hello

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 3,200
vicaphit replied on Tue, Mar 25 2008 12:37 PM

I started out on the NES, we got a faulty one from a cousin.  It would play games, but we were light headed from blowing in the cartridges constantly.  I played marble madness like mad, and Dr. Mario.

My sister and I got gameboy originals in the early 90s, and were addicted to them.  The ability to link game boys was great for tetris, but not much else.  We then got an SNES, and my favorite game was mario kart, and Mario RPG was great too.  I purchased my own playstation in high school, and I loved FFVII and VIII, along with Metal Gear Solid.

I then traded in the PS1 for an Xbox, and eventually modded it with a 120gb HDD to use it as a media center device.  I still have it today.  I had a PSP for about 6 months, but didn't get much use out of it, so I sold it.

AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT 512Mb, Ultra X3 1000W PSU
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Tue, Mar 25 2008 1:06 PM

I started off with an NES and played mostly Mario(one), some Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle game, and Wrestlemania 6 I think it was....I was about 6 years old at the time and my mom entered me in a local competition at a video rental store because of how much time I wasted on Mario. Appearntly (I had no idea) I ended up in the top 10 or something like that in total points in the one hour time limit.

We got an SNES a few years later and again I loved the Mario games (Mario 3, Mario Kart), as well as Mortal Kombat and Street fighter, and supertechmo football. I dabbled a litle bit in Tetris and Dr. Mario......

After the SNES my sister donated a Playstation to me (modded by her now-husband) so that it would play burned games. Playstation I pretty much played anything I got my hands on with the majority of my time going towards Gameday and Madden and a few baseball games. Tenchu was another favorite of mine along with GTA the original and Road Rash3d.

Following the PS1 I got an Xbox just because my friends were hardcare into Halo; I followed suit and we had LAN games all the time on weekends. Halo and Halo 2 were the main games I constantly played but I donated a bit of time to MVP baseball and Madden as well. My g/f and I enjoyed playing Krash Bandicoot racing together as well now and then

Now I have myself a 360. Can you guess why? Halo 3.....Haha, however since then I have become addicted to Guitar Hero II and III along with Gears of War (until the online play became stupid with modders/trash talkers), and dabbled a titch in Bioshock as well. Of course I spend time playing MLB 2k7 along with Madden too :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,142
Points 14,910
frg1 replied on Tue, Mar 25 2008 1:13 PM

i started off with a sega genisis with sonic the hedgehog 3 then got a old nes played mainly mairo and duckhunt then got a snes when they came out played diddy kong alot then a n64 playedmario kart alot then went to local game store and bough a psone played thrasher skate and destroy  and legend of dragoon then moved on to a ps2 with shaun palmer snowboarding was the first game i got for it now i have over 20 games for it and then got a gamecube and bought resident evil 4 on the same day

Photobucket
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

vicaphit:

I then traded in the PS1 for an Xbox, and eventually modded it with a 120gb HDD to use it as a media center device.  I still have it today.

My modded Xbox with 250gb HDD is both my main media center device for the TV (for non-HD videos anyway) and also my main emulation source for older consoles.  It's more fitting to play old games on a TV, although I do have USB adapters for gamepads and play emulators on the PC, too.  The Xbox can handle Nintendo 64 fairly well, that's what surprised me the most.  I didn't even expect it and was pleasantly surprised when I learned of it.

Xbox Media Center is pretty great.  I found a local guy to mod it for me, and it's totally worth it (had to pay the guy for his services, of course).  I'm hoping for something to happen with a newer console like XBMC.  Probably the Playstation 3 since it can accept OS's.  I might eventually pick one up if a good media center is made for it. 

Hello

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 3,200
vicaphit replied on Thu, Mar 27 2008 3:13 PM

It makes a great media center because you can connect it via lan and grab videos from anywhere on the network!

AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT 512Mb, Ultra X3 1000W PSU
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Just throwing this out there... does anyone have a Sega Saturn?  I've had one for 12 years now but only got it modded last month.  I've been discovering some great gems out there such as Guardian Heroes and the Japan only realease Radiant Silvergun.  This classic console is now getting more attention than my Xbox 360 is.  It wasn't a very popular console, but it has some great gems to it.  It's most famous games are probably Virtua Fighter 2 and Nights.  I remember back when I first got it defending it against my friend's Playstation.  Unfortunately the systems lifespan ended quickly, but I'll still defend it to the death.Big Smile

Hello

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,872
Points 64,370

Hey you guys, thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and post gamer tags so we can maybe play sometime.

Xbox 360- Linus84

PS3- Linus84

Wii- 013014813390

Intel E6850 * Patriot 4GB DDR 2 800 * EVGA 8800 Ultra * EVGA 680i Mobo "It's my...err...human nature to always want more!"- Myself Gamer Tags: X-Box 360 - Linus84 | PS3- Linus84 | Wii- 013014813390

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Good call.

Xbox 360- Crisium

Hello

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,872
Points 64,370

Of course by posting your GT, that means that folks can add you. I have my reasons for posting this due to my dumb brother posting his on a forum once and everyone sent him friend invites. If you don't want it to be public, don't post it. : )

Intel E6850 * Patriot 4GB DDR 2 800 * EVGA 8800 Ultra * EVGA 680i Mobo "It's my...err...human nature to always want more!"- Myself Gamer Tags: X-Box 360 - Linus84 | PS3- Linus84 | Wii- 013014813390

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Wed, May 21 2008 2:45 PM

entermymatrix03:

Of course by posting your GT, that means that folks can add you. I have my reasons for posting this due to my dumb brother posting his on a forum once and everyone sent him friend invites. If you don't want it to be public, don't post it. : )

Isn't that like DUH! SLAP you too the face....No ***. Sorry jsut had to put it out there.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,872
Points 64,370

^^^ thats what i said! You put it out there to the public and someone will bite. my brother has no common sense! 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS