WD Caviar and RE2 GreenPower 1TB Hard Drives

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,881
Points 1,116,695
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Mar 24 2008 9:15 AM

Just in case you shot right down to the news section this morning and missed the link at the top of the page, we wanted to pop in and let you all know that we have just posted a new article here at HotHardware in which we evaluate the features, performance, and power consumption of Western Digital's Caviar and RE.2 GreenPower 1TB hard drives.  In addition to their large capacities, these drives offer a number of proprietary features designed to lower their power consumption and acoustic profiles, like IntelliPower, IntelliSeek, IntelliPark, and in the RE.2's case RAFF (Rotary Acceleration Feed Forward).  Click the link below and check them out...

WD Caviar and RE2 GreenPower 1TB Hard Drives

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Mon, Mar 24 2008 9:52 AM

...sounds like WD seems to want us to become Intelli-gant and use our Intelli-dollars for Intelli-purchase of a drive that APPARENTLY has some Intelli-features. Haha, all kidding aside apparently these guys are supposed to be reallly nice drives; uber-silent, TONS of storage and semi-"quick" in-regard to seeking/reading.....although nothing like that of a 250GB hdd or anything...and heck with a 5yr warranty?! All I can say is "atta boy WD, about time you hopped on the 5-yr wagon!"

HD age is upon us so I am thinking that 1TB will be child's play soon.....

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 458
Points 6,985
AjayD replied on Mon, Mar 24 2008 7:34 PM
You are absolutely right ice. With the data requirements of HD content, 1TB really isn't that much storage. At the current rate of growth, I would expect to see HDs with double digit TB storage figures within the next 3-4 years.

I know energy efficiency has been a concern for server level products, but it is nice to see WD also directing that focus towards consumer level products. I am glad these power saving features don't result in too significant a sacrifice on performance.

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,142
Points 14,910
frg1 replied on Mon, Mar 24 2008 10:13 PM

good review hothardware 

Photobucket
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 4,205