Dell Reporting SSD Issues

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,791
Points 1,212,720
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Mar 19 2008 11:41 PM

“A recent study done by Avian Securities, LLC. charges that one of the largest system manufacturers has an SSD failure (return) rate of 20-30%. The study did not specifically state any names or name a system manufacturer as the culprit. However, Dell later confirmed that the reports were about itself, but went on to deny the numbers Avian Securities had come up with.”

Part of the reason Dell might have denied the rumors is that they've been represented differently across the web.  The figures 20-30% are often referred to as the return rate, which is caused by both failures and general dissatisfaction.  It's very hard to separate these two statistics, but we can certainly envision more than a few consumers being underwhelmed by the performance gains in a multi-hundred upgrade.

We'll keep you informed as this story continues to unfold.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 471
Points 7,075
AjayD replied on Thu, Mar 20 2008 10:21 PM

Good to know the exorbitant failure rates were inaccurate. Irrespective of how newfangled SSDs may be, I still think they are overpriced, especially given their limited capacities.

On a side note, Samsung sure has exploded onto the scene recently. Not only have they become huge with their ram, but also HDs and SSDs and even their line of home electronics is beginning to rival Sony's. Not to mention all of their cell phones.

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,142
Points 14,910
frg1 replied on Thu, Mar 20 2008 10:28 PM

ssd is indeed pricy but as the years go by they will drop in price and probably get smaller too

Photobucket
replied on Fri, Mar 21 2008 8:00 AM

I really do not get it why the prices haven't dropped at all.What is the reason to launch drives that have aprox. 1TB of data,SSD,if people do not buy drives that have at least 100GB?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Fri, Mar 21 2008 8:20 AM
I hear you Ajay...I have noticed the same trend with SAMSUNG--those eastern people sure know how to make great electronics! I actually (when buying electronics--namely TVs) look for Samsung branded stuff often times just for the simple fact that they are as good as Sony (if not bettter) in many cases and are many times quite a bit less expensive.

They are doing well in the SSD market also I believe as I recenetly read a figure that states something like 1 out of every 5 SSD drives purchased (directly or indirectly) is a SAMSUNG drive; this was a few months back so that could have changed....

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 259
Points 4,555
willardcw4 replied on Fri, Mar 21 2008 11:14 AM

A lot of SSDs arn't even as fast as 7200 RPM HDs... I think the technology will ultimately take over (no moving parts), but still isn't there yet... and its freakin expensive!

Dynamically Scaled Oblique Flying Wing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-eTXIyYYQ

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS