Data Breach Exposes Millions of Card Numbers

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,480
Points 1,196,090
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Mar 17 2008 8:27 PM

Monday the Massachusetts Bankers Association (MBA) issued a press release announcing a major data breach at what Visa and MasterCard said was an unnamed "major retailer."  The details were far worse than the original news, though.

A security breach at an East Coast supermarket chain exposed more than 4 million card numbers and led to 1,800 cases of fraud, the Hannaford Bros. grocery chain announced Monday.

Hannaford said credit and debit card numbers were stolen during the card authorization process and about 4.2 million unique card numbers were exposed, placing the case among the largest data breaches ever.

The breach affected all of its 165 stores in the Northeast, 106 Sweetbay stores in Florida and a smaller number of independent groceries that sell Hannaford products.

Although Hannaford recommended that customers should carefully watch their Visa and MasterCard accounts, they didn't announce the typical one year of free credit monitoring - yet.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 469
Points 7,050
AjayD replied on Mon, Mar 17 2008 11:21 PM
Oops, someone wasn't paying close enough attention. Considering how many card numbers were stolen I'm surprised there have only been 1,800 cases of fraud so far. Based on the lack of follow through the thieves have demonstrated I would say they don't have much experience at such things and just got lucky. This may prompt me to start paying cash instead of using my debit card all the time.

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,142
Points 14,910
frg1 replied on Tue, Mar 18 2008 9:35 AM

certain banks and stores will let you buy a prepaid credit card up to 1500 dollars at my bank that is what iuse for online purchases that way the card is empty after i get done buying stuff 

Photobucket
replied on Tue, Mar 18 2008 1:36 PM

can't they implement a safer security system?

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS