can I hook up 2 computers to the same monitor?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
elgato Posted: Tue, Mar 4 2008 3:14 AM
Hi guys.. I have a dell 1905F LCD monitor.

Since I'm buying a new computer, I was wondering if I could use the new computer and old one with the same monitor.
Using one's DVI cable and the other's VGA cable.

I was thinking of getting a KVM switch but they are quite expensive with DVI ports.

So, somebody told me that the monitor will detect both computers and let me switch between them. Since I don't have both computers here yet, I can't try this.
I see that if I have 1 computer on at a time, this setup would work, but what happens if I have both systems running at the same time? Does the monitor use the first port (or system) it detects and block the other one (if I happen to turn it on later)?

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Thanks..
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

If it has both video ports, there's probably a way to switch between sources.  Is there a button anywhere that looks like it does that? 

Hello

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
elgato replied on Tue, Mar 4 2008 5:52 AM

Hi Crisis Causer...

Yes, it let's me select the input, analog or digital. 

If I press it it waits for an analog signal (it's connected to dvi now), until I press it again and goes back to digtal.

Since I don't have the 2nd system yet, I can't try this out, but do you know if I can switch between systems on the fly? I mean, with both systems running at the same time.

I read over at the dell forums that the monitor will "lock" itself into the mode of the system it booted with, saying soimething like if you connect with dvi, but switch to vga, the pixel clock will be off, giving weird images. They said that dvi will be fine because it is digital..

anyways.. I just wanted to know if it could handle 2 systems at the same time and not fry on me...

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,142
Points 14,910
frg1 replied on Tue, Mar 4 2008 6:21 AM

i had a friend who had a dell tv that he would use picture in picture to use two computers or watch tv on one side

Photobucket
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 209
Points 3,575
wolf2009 replied on Tue, Mar 4 2008 12:32 PM

i am thinking of doing the same thing . Plz keep this post updated.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 795
Points 13,650
Kamrooz replied on Wed, Mar 5 2008 4:34 AM

If the guys over at the dell forums are saying it will lock up, then it's best to follow their advice considering they have the monitor and have tested it. But give it a shot, it won't necessarily hurt your monitor, and you'll be able to find out for sure ^_^. 

2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 2Gb DDR2-667 Kingston FBDimm 150GB Western Digital Raptor 2x 500 Gb Seagate 7200.10 2x 8800 GT SLI Intel D5400XS (Skulltrail) Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Ultra X3 1KW psu 2X Liteon DL DVD-RW Rig courtesy of HotHardware! =D
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS