Laptop Wipes Itself If Lost or Stolen

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,505
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Feb 20 2008 10:01 PM
Since it seems many government agencies can't keep their hands on their laptops, a U.K. company has come up with a potential solution.

Sold as a hosted service, Virtuity's BackStopp server monitors aprotected laptop using any medium available, including the Internet, orlocally using Wi-Fi or GSM.

If a laptop is reported stolen -- oreven just moved from a designated space - the system can reach out andexecute a file deletion routine that clears the laptop of all importantdata.

For laptops stolen while switched off, the location systemcan use RFID tags to make a judgement about whether that movement iswithin allowed parameters. A full log of all deletions is sent back tothe service center once completed.

Ironic, or perhaps poetic justice that it's a U.K. company, considering the heavily publicized data losses last year in the U.K.  Unfortunately, those were CDs, and this wouldn't help with that - unless someone comes up with a self-destructing CD.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,872
Points 64,370

Take that bad boy out of state with you and you're screwed! : ) HAHA that would suck. We load a piece of software on our laptops at work and it supposidly cannot be uninstalled. There is a way that our corporate office tracks them and can erase the data once hooked to the internet. If it really works is beyond me.  

Intel E6850 * Patriot 4GB DDR 2 800 * EVGA 8800 Ultra * EVGA 680i Mobo "It's my...err...human nature to always want more!"- Myself Gamer Tags: X-Box 360 - Linus84 | PS3- Linus84 | Wii- 013014813390

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 160
Points 2,380
werty316 replied on Thu, Feb 21 2008 9:40 PM

Good thing its not something from Mission Impossible or you would have a heck of alot of iddy bitty parts. 

There is no god, there is only Chuck Norris.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,670
digitaldd replied on Fri, Feb 22 2008 7:20 AM

There was a company that made a PCMCIA card awhile back with a TPM chip in it and an Alarm. the laptop would not boot without the card in it,the card encrypted the hard disk and required a password to bootup. Also the card had a motion sensor and alarm if it were left armed somewhere the alarm would go off if the laptop moved more than some set amount. Too bad the company never made express card or MiniPCIe version of it as it is most new laptops don't have PCMCIA slots anymore. Sad

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 55

There was a company that made a PCMCIA card awhile back with a TPM chip in it and an Alarm. the laptop would not boot without the card in it,the card encrypted the hard disk and required a password to bootup. Also the card had a motion sensor and alarm if it were left armed somewhere the alarm would go off if the laptop moved more than some set amount. Too bad the company never made express card or MiniPCIe version of it as it is most new laptops don't have PCMCIA slots anymore. You are right.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

jackdrogba what? lol

but like enter said... if you forgot about this and were to go on a road trip or somehting it would start deleting the files... lol

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

This thread is old, stop posting in old threads.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,630
Points 55,230
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Feb 9 2010 3:43 PM

Jackdroba, I have deleted a few of your spam posts.  You are inches away from permanent ban.  Stop or your account will be shut down.

Thanks

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator

Dave_HH:

Jackdroba, I have deleted a few of your spam posts.  You are inches away from permanent ban.  Stop or your account will be shut down.

Thanks

I just deleted a bunch more today, Dave.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS