Win the BEAST! HotHardware Skulltrail Give-Away!

This post has 463 Replies | 33 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Kamrooz:

[Actions+InnerMonologue] ::shifts eyes around:: Damn...They're onto me  [/Actions+InnerMonologue]

Stick out tongue 

Huh?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 508
Points 7,860
peti1212 replied on Fri, Feb 22 2008 8:37 PM

Ok, let me get something streight here. Is this contest about just activity or post count? What I mean by activity is that if you are more active than you get a higher chance of winning or just being active by posting a few post a day?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,126
Points 14,225

its random unfortunately.  it would def. suck if some guy that just joined for the contest wona nd never came back.....

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 795
Points 13,650
Kamrooz replied on Fri, Feb 22 2008 8:46 PM

Post counts should mean nothing imo, I'm even saying that when I tend to post quite a lot, not sure how they are doing it. But it's all about the quality of the posts that should be the factor imo. It could go many ways though, but doesn't matter really. If I end up wining, I'll do so ecstatically, if not, grats to the winner ^_^. But yea, the contest info was a bit vague, but not sure how it will end up going. I would of expected it to last longer than just from the 19th to 29th...though...I didn't even notice it till yesterday. Been visiting for quite a long time among a list of 15 hardware sites I visit to satisfy my need for compter related knowledge ^.^. Glad I caught it though, cause this is a once in a lifetime chance! =D 

2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 2Gb DDR2-667 Kingston FBDimm 150GB Western Digital Raptor 2x 500 Gb Seagate 7200.10 2x 8800 GT SLI Intel D5400XS (Skulltrail) Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Ultra X3 1KW psu 2X Liteon DL DVD-RW Rig courtesy of HotHardware! =D
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

When the contest 1st came about I thought that randomly chosing a winner was fair enough, but had an idea of my own that I think is actually great considering the magnitude of the prize.

Have users write a short essay(maybe 500 words or so)explaing both why they think they should win and what they would do with the rig if they won.

If you think this is a great idea too, say so and maybe... just maybe the admins might take notice. If they stick with their original plan though I'll totally understand because the contest is already in motion and changing the format now might come off as kinda sketchy if you know what I mean. Still I think my idea has merit and could possibly be implemented in a future contest because after all... forums are all about communicating by writting.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 795
Points 13,650
Kamrooz replied on Sat, Feb 23 2008 1:23 AM

Covert: That is true, but hopefully they'll be able to pick someone with good character.

Recover: That could work well, up to them though considering they already started the contest. I thought it would of been better to have the contest run for a longer duration compared to this 10 days contest it seems, to weed out those who really don't understand how amazing it is of HotHardware to give away such an amazing rig. Very generous of them, heck...I wouldn't mind if it was 6 months long =P...

2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 2Gb DDR2-667 Kingston FBDimm 150GB Western Digital Raptor 2x 500 Gb Seagate 7200.10 2x 8800 GT SLI Intel D5400XS (Skulltrail) Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Ultra X3 1KW psu 2X Liteon DL DVD-RW Rig courtesy of HotHardware! =D
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Covert_One24:
suck if some guy that just joined for the contest wona nd never came back

I totally see your point, but here's a different spin on it that you guys might not have considerd.

Let me preface by saying that I don't believe we have any petty, jealous losers here. With that being said if a newcomer wins and dips, never to be heard from again it would eliminate the possibility of dissension among regular users that could occur(albeit unlikely)if a regular user won and instantly became "big man on campus"... just a thought.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 255
sushrukh replied on Sat, Feb 23 2008 5:56 AM
I sometimes feel very frustrated,deprived & worthless for not being an US resident.All the big competitions/prizes are always reserved for US only & here they are the richest country in the world where most of the people can afford buying these high-end PC parts.Please have a look on the other countries too where buying high-end PC parts are next to impossible.Only US & Canada residents have the priviledge to buy them affordably.Wish if anyday sponsors or contest organizers will organize a big worldwide contest like this but i'm not seeing any ray of hope for that.Untill then, i'll have to stay satisfied by only seeing the pictures of these PC parts in the reviews.Thanks for understanding sir.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 143
Points 2,390
methious replied on Sat, Feb 23 2008 4:20 PM

I think a lot of what you addressed rings true, from a marketing stand point though it makes sense that they market the contests toward the largest richest market.  You don't set up your Lemonade stand on an untraveled road.  

As far as most people affording high end parts like these your fooling yourself, I've been in the business of computers for 25 years and had my hands on a system like that once in passing at a trade show.  Noone I know has the money for a machine like that and I do business with some pretty flush people.  Most of us live pay check to pay check just like the rest of the world.  If we were to own such a system we'd either have to drive it to work or live in it to be able to afford it.  

It depends on the area of the division donating the prize as to who is eligable.  I do see more international contests popping up, but I also see contests were excluded from.  In the end it's a contest and I'm grateful for the chance to participate though the chances are slim of winning.  Having been the winner of a prize from another contest recently should take the sting off a little, after all I've never been that fortunate, and most of these guys haven't eighther.   

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,565
Points 54,735
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Feb 23 2008 4:54 PM

sushrukh:
I sometimes feel very frustrated,deprived & worthless for not being an US resident.All the big competitions/prizes are always reserved for US only & here they are the richest country in the world where most of the people can afford buying these high-end PC parts.Please have a look on the other countries too where buying high-end PC parts are next to impossible.Only US & Canada residents have the priviledge to buy them affordably.Wish if anyday sponsors or contest organizers will organize a big worldwide contest like this but i'm not seeing any ray of hope for that.Untill then, i'll have to stay satisfied by only seeing the pictures of these PC parts in the reviews.Thanks for understanding sir.

It's as simple as this Sush and there's not much we can do about it.  It simply costs too much to ship a system of this size and weight overseas and not to mention the paperwork and tracking through customs is a complete hassle.  Sorry bud.  It's not thing personal.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,565
Points 54,735
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Feb 23 2008 5:00 PM

recoveringknowitall:

Covert_One24:
suck if some guy that just joined for the contest wona nd never came back

I totally see your point, but here's a different spin on it that you guys might not have considerd.

Let me preface by saying that I don't believe we have any petty, jealous losers here. With that being said if a newcomer wins and dips, never to be heard from again it would eliminate the possibility of dissension among regular users that could occur(albeit unlikely)if a regular user won and instantly became "big man on campus"... just a thought.

I'll throw another twist on this recover and thanks for your insight as well.  We think there's a lot of value to a new user that shows solid contributions to the community here, the comments in the forums, news comments, the HH Folding Team, etc.  Wouldn't it also be good to keep a new community member that contributes to this place?  That said, we value our long time regulars and veterans here very much and we'll continue to run contests and gaming tourneys to involve our long-time buds too.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 508
Points 7,860
peti1212 replied on Sat, Feb 23 2008 5:17 PM

I really like to get involved in other communities than what I already know and it is always nice to find some new people. Sometimes though, things can get a bit busy and too many forums and websites make it impossible to be active everywhere. Good think I am not really involved in many forums right now only about 3-4. This forum and website is very nice.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Sat, Feb 23 2008 7:47 PM

peti1212:
Good think I am not really involved in many forums right now only about 3-4. This forum and website is very nice.

This is the only forum I actively post on for really anything -- that and my work forum but thats only for business....I like it here! And whats more is this contest made everything go from boring to JUMPIN!!

P.S. Thanks for the kind words guys -- I am glad you find me to be attractive

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

I anticipate that when the dust settles we will have gained some great new contributors who will stick around, but also foresee that at least some of the fold who joined in conjunction with the contest won't... seems inevitable. Quality over quanity for me any day! We deffinately have some quality new members though and that is worth alot IMO!!!

ice91785:

Oh brother... we got ice all souped up now. lol

BTW: Davo ~ I hope you didn't get the impression that I though it would be a good thing if we ended up losing a new contributor if they end up winning... quite the opposite. I was merely stating a possible scenario.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 795
Points 13,650
Kamrooz replied on Sat, Feb 23 2008 8:11 PM

recoveringknowitall:

I anticipate that when the dust settles we will have gained some great new contributors who will stick around, but also foresee that at least some of the fold who joined in conjunction with the contest won't... seems inevitable. Quality over quanity for me any day! We deffinately have some quality new members though and that is worth alot IMO!!!

ice91785:

Oh brother... we got ice all souped up now. lol

::Blushes:: Are you speaking about lil' ol me? Stick out tongue...LOL.

I have to admit I'm liking the forum a lot. It's not as lively as the other forums I visit. But the community of active members are more pleasing than the others. ^.^...Looking forward to a growing community ::tosses around a few brewskies::. Although I'm not a fan of beer...I'll take some whiskey instead =P...Or maybe take the stylish route with Dean Martin with some apple juice ^.^.

BTW...Working on converting that guide I was talking about recover. I'm porting it to HTML and making a very simple graphical layout for it. Once I change it from forum based format to HTML, is it cool if I PM you a sample to see if you think it's worth it? I'll also post it up if others want to give it a quick read, it's not even near completion, but basically got past the introductory segments about explanations based on needs, chipset/socket/processor differences. Next, is selection ^.^... 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Kamrooz:
Although I'm not a fan of beer...I'll take some whiskey instead =P...Or maybe take the stylish route with Dean Martin with some apple juice ^.^.

What... no rum? lol

Kamrooz:
is it cool if I PM you a sample to see if you think it's worth it?

Fo sheezy... double time!!!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 795
Points 13,650
Kamrooz replied on Sat, Feb 23 2008 8:33 PM

recoveringknowitall:

What... no rum? lol

Egads..I missed a plug moment for my sig >_<...NUUU!..lol. Let's just say I love Jack Daniels and Rum equally =P...hahahaha 

recoveringknowitall:

Fo sheezy... double time!!!

You rock man =D..Thanks..I'll try to get it out to you double time...Just need to figure out how I want to display the webpage. Want to make sure it's simple and not too graphic heavy. Also making sure I use a navigation method to make pulling the info you need right at hand quickly. Cause I'm expecting this to be like 15-20 pages worth >_<...Hopefully I can make it smaller, cause most consumers would be turned off by that...lol. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Check back on THIS thread... I posted a lil something for you. ;)

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 185
Lslarry876 replied on Sat, Feb 23 2008 10:41 PM
I just signed up, it would be soo sweet to win this rig!
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
yeah, but where's the mouse?
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 255
sushrukh replied on Sun, Feb 24 2008 6:55 AM
Davo:
It's as simple as this Sush and there's not much we can do about it. It simply costs too much to ship a system of this size and weight overseas and not to mention the paperwork and tracking through customs is a complete hassle. Sorry bud.It's not thing personal.

I know Davo it's next to impossible for you to ship such high-end parts overseas.You may have done that if sponsoring companies would help you in shipping.No worries, don't mind please.I'm actually quite frustrated seeing only US/Canada based contests now-a-days & i'm only referring to the sponsors who always pay attention to the richer people.Anyways,best of luck to all who are eligible to participate.

And " Methious " , you are saying this because you can take part in these contests.Place yourself in my place & i'm seeing you saying the same thing as mine.And winning one contest doesn't mean that i wouldn't want to win any other contest in my life again.You were totally wrong there.Sorry.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 143
Points 2,390
methious replied on Sun, Feb 24 2008 11:00 AM

No actually there are a lot of contests we can't enter because we live here, for the same reasons.  International shipping and such.  Never once have I complained about it, and never will. I just figure their nice enough to sponser a contest in their own region and that's nice for those eligable.  I figure looking any ones gift horse in the mouth is bad Karma.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 508
Points 7,860
peti1212 replied on Sun, Feb 24 2008 12:01 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean methious. I've seen many many contests that were organized for Canada, Europe, UK, Asia, or Australia only. That's a bummber but who cares.

Not Ranked
Posts 59
Points 1,055
LaMpiR replied on Sun, Feb 24 2008 12:10 PM
I would pay for customs just to get this beast :D
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
johndoe replied on Sun, Feb 24 2008 12:53 PM
fries optional with that ?
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 255
sushrukh replied on Sun, Feb 24 2008 1:34 PM
Asia only contest ? Where did you find that Peter ? Never seen an Asia only contest in my life so far.
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 508
Points 7,860
peti1212 replied on Sun, Feb 24 2008 3:40 PM

Well it is actually Asia and Australia that I saw, like for example this one: http://hardwarexl.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11126

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

No disrespect to anyone , but I vote we drop the subject of how it sucks to not be eligable.

So sushrukh... welcome! What do you think of HotHardware so far? What are the specs of your PC and what do you use it for?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 795
Points 13,650
Kamrooz replied on Sun, Feb 24 2008 6:21 PM

I agree with recovering, atleast all these websites are kind enough to have contests like these...Speaking with the larger companies to offer products for these contests, organizing everything...And especially paying out of their own pockets to ship. We should just tip our hats off to all the communities that do this ^_^. Can't we all just get along? Stick out tongue

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 508
Points 7,860
peti1212 replied on Sun, Feb 24 2008 7:55 PM

Exactly! Confused

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 255
sushrukh replied on Mon, Feb 25 2008 11:38 AM
Well the contest is now for only the Australia.They have sent me 2 mails.In the first mail,they have written that, Asians & Australians can enter only but in the 2nd mail they have siad that they have converted the contest for Australia only as this contest is being organized by the Thermaltake's Australia division.So, there's no Asia only contest on the net so far.
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 255
sushrukh replied on Mon, Feb 25 2008 11:41 AM
recoveringknowitall:
No disrespect to anyone , but I vote we drop the subject of how it sucks to not be eligable.

So sushrukh... welcome! What do you think of HotHardware so far? What are the specs of your PC and what do you use it for?

I'm running a Pentium D 820 + at 90C (yes you've read it right, 90C) & 1 Gb Transcend Value ram with no heat spreader.Also worth mentioning about the world's most crappiest case with "zero" ventilation.

Link to the screenie :- http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/2201/0000132wz8.jpg
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

^brutial, looks like it could use a dusting...lol 

Humm if i were to win i would take out the vid cards sell them off, then sell off my rig and get two 9800GX2's and run them in SLI...ahahah that would be sweet!!! 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

I like your idea Der! It is nice as is, but why not go all out!!!

BTW: sush ~ my last cpu was a D820... not the fastest in the world, but coupled with a 7800GT I was able to play all my games at max settings.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Plazzma replied on Mon, Feb 25 2008 3:38 PM

What a "BEAST"! of a system. I wouldn't mind being entered in for chance for this system at all! Smile

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Mon, Feb 25 2008 4:10 PM
Wow, this is really pushing the limits of the comment system.

><((((">Lev Astov

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Is it any wonder? lol

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005
Oh wow. That's a beastie. I can tell you right now I'd get some pretty good use out of that. I can only hope, and pray!

Hello

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Crisis Causer:
I'd get some pretty good use out of that

What apps do you use?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 795
Points 13,650
Kamrooz replied on Mon, Feb 25 2008 6:46 PM

sushrukh:

I'm running a Pentium D 820 + at 90C (yes you've read it right, 90C) & 1 Gb Transcend Value ram with no heat spreader.Also worth mentioning about the world's most crappiest case with "zero" ventilation.

Link to the screenie :- http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/2201/0000132wz8.jpg

Atleast you have a dualcore =(...I'm on a 3.2 prescott single..lol. But that is a bit hot...You might want to reset your heatsink with some new thermal paste. Or is that how hot they get? my 3.2 prescott is at 52 load with this tuniq tower I have on it, but that's during cold days..During hot days I'm around 58-60. =(..They are indeed hotty buggers. 

Page 4 of 12 (464 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS