Choosing a good monitor for gaming

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 100
demonstrius Posted: Fri, Feb 15 2008 8:17 PM

Right now I'm trying to choose the greatest monitor for gaming out there right now. I prefer to have the largest screen possible, but I'm not sure if the will hinder the gaming power of the monitor. I prefer to have a size from 24" to 30". I would really prefer to have a 30". Right now I've been eyeing the Dell 3008wfp-hc or the Gateway XHD3000. Any other suggestions for a monitor would be great. Price is no problem for me. Oh yeah and a comparison between the two 30" monsters would be wonderful.

• | Post Points: 80
replied on Fri, Feb 15 2008 10:27 PM

Here's a comparison of the Dell Vs Gateway Extremetech

Planar 26 inch I hear is a good one. Bit pricey however. You also may want to consider a HDTV. Sharp Aquas makes a 32inch gamer edition that is good for gaming/movies. sharp

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 100

Hold on so is the Dell 3008wfp better or the XHD3000 better because it says in the article that the XHD3000 is better, but it has worse color than the 3008wfp. Also, does the 3008wfp-hc offer upscaling? Because it seems like it doesn't by the way they conclude the article. I'm checking out the planar right now. Oh yeah and I can't have an HDTV on my desk because its going to be a little too showy especially because my bro is sitting at a desk right next to me and would not like to see me with a monstrous HDTV. Sibling rivalry what can I say.

Update: I checked out the Planar 26" from newegg and it seems not to be a good choice from the reviews and a lack of conventional HD connections (HDMI and Component) makes it not a good chice for me. However, it is still a ok contender. Oh yeah, and the Dell Ultrasharp 24" looks pretty good as well. However, right now I am more interested in the XHD3000(which seems to have several glaring flaws even though its upscaler is unbelieveably good), but I need to get some feedback on how people are dealing with these monitors. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 437
Points 6,450
jtm55 replied on Thu, Feb 21 2008 4:40 PM

Hi All,

I have the Sharp LC- 32GP1U LCDTV that I'm using as a Monitor & it's Excellent. It's a 1080P panel that has very good response times for gaming. The colors are Excellent. You can pick this LCDTV up at New Egg for a very good price. Here's the link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889101117

ASUS Z7S WS

EVGA 295 GTX

HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 RAID 5

Intel Xeon E5420 Harpertown

HT Omega Claro

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX

mushkin 6GB 3 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Harmon Kardon HK 3490 W/ Energy RC 10

LG W3000H-Bn

SILVERSTONE SST-TJ07

Plextor PX 755 SA

Windows 7 Ultimate

Areca ARC-1210

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 160
Points 2,380
werty316 replied on Thu, Feb 21 2008 5:23 PM

Whenever buying a new monitor it is a good idea to take a look at some display models so you know how it looks when powered on as a monitor might be liked by some but might not be liked by you.

There is no god, there is only Chuck Norris.
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 545
viperfour replied on Thu, Feb 21 2008 7:06 PM

A friend of mine recently bought this 24" Samsung 245BW monitor:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001234&Tpk=245BW  It is a SUPER nice monitor, but he paid a lot less for his as he got his at Sam's Club.  Makes my 19" Wide-screen Samsung look tiny.  :) 

Dell Monitor's are super nice as well, but more expensive.  I am surprised that one in that review got only a 6 out of 10, but to answer your question in your other post about which is better between these two it looks like the Gateway XHD3000 according to this review as it rated an 8 out of 10:  http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2192619,00.asp  Another thing you have to consider is the bigger the monitors the more lag you will have and this is true especially for gaming which is a bad thing. 

Another thing though with these big monitors like these 30" ones are you will have to run a higher end video card as well.  If you already have a high end video card that is no problem, but if not then that is something else you have to consider.  Just depends on what you are currently running or what you plan to upgrade too.

Personally I would go with a 24" as that seems to be the sweet spot (22" and 24") for gaming right now.  I have seen my friend game on his 24" Samsung I listed above and it is sweet looking and if i was in the market to get another monitor I would look at getting that one myself.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 795
Points 13,650
Kamrooz replied on Fri, Feb 22 2008 2:14 AM

It depends on what you want panel wise. TN, PVA/MVA, or IPS?

TN = considered the hardcore gaming monitor, lowest color accuracy, fastest response time/input lag due to low need of processing. Worst viewing angles.

PVA/MVA = Highest contrast ratio, decent input lag/response time. Ghosting is an issue, blacks crush as well. If you Don't know what black crushing is, it's basically details in darker areas merging together into a giant block, aka, black crush.

IPS= Best in terms of color accuracy, faster response time than PVA/MVA, but not as fast as tn. Most expensive.

Here are some sites to better educate yourself.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1039222

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ 

If you want lots of dedicated info on consumer based reviews with a great discussion on specific panels, visit the HardForum display forum, they are by far the most active display forum on the net. Lots of pictures, HUGE threads dedicated to specific LCD monitors, and people even buy up the monitors and review them. Fantastic forum.

http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Now, If you want a great gaming panel and don't care about color accuracy, the TN panels would be the best bet. Which? Not sure, color accuracy is very important for me so I only know info regarding PVA/MVA and IPS monitors. If you want some great color accuracy and a gamer orientated monitor, look at the Planar PX2611W. It's a 26" IPS panel with only 1 frame of input lag, it's a great gaming monitor in the IPS flavor. You can find it for around 800-1000. If that's a bit much, then you'll have to deal with TN or PVA/MVA. IPS is the rarest of the panels, and the most expensive. Mostly the high end, the cheaper IPS in 24+ flavor is the PX2611W if I remember correctly.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I'll help to the best of my ability ^_^. 

2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 2Gb DDR2-667 Kingston FBDimm 150GB Western Digital Raptor 2x 500 Gb Seagate 7200.10 2x 8800 GT SLI Intel D5400XS (Skulltrail) Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Ultra X3 1KW psu 2X Liteon DL DVD-RW Rig courtesy of HotHardware! =D
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 535
Licmaey replied on Wed, Feb 27 2008 1:28 AM

Maybe the Viewsonic Vx2835wm 28" monitor can be a good choice for you with 3ms. I am now thinking of getting one but just can't decide.

replied on Wed, Feb 27 2008 5:12 AM

I dont trust extremetechs review on the planar. Everyone on Hocp 20+ pages of people love it. The only draw back that I have heard of is some banding if watching blu-ray movies.  The FHD2400 from gateway is perfect for all around everything but it will have more back light bleed than the planar.

Another review

replied on Wed, Feb 27 2008 5:43 AM

The viewsonic is more TV than monitor but if you just want big size than its ok I guess. Personally I hate the looks of it enough for me to now want to buy it.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
lakmus replied on Sun, Mar 2 2008 5:06 PM

Review summary for  ViewSonic VX2835wm at http://www.testfreaks.com/

The VX2835wm is neither ugly nor attractive. The bezel is a bit wide, especially with the silver accent around the edge. The bottom is very wide, due to the inclusion of the 3-watt speakers. Five buttons adorn the center of the lower bezel, and provide access to the on-screen menu and volume control for the speakers. The on-screen menus are simple. The color controls give five presets (sRGB, 9300K, 7500K, 6500K, and 5400K) along with standard 3-color RGB adjustment for custom color. The default is 6500K which is appropriate for HDTV viewing in a darkened environment. The ViewSonic VX2835wm does not have a DVI connector, opting instead for HDMI. There are no side inputs or card readers on the VX2835wm, and no USB hub. The connectors all lie on the back of the monitor, and somewhat hard to access to. You have HDMI input (which doubles as DVI with the included DVI-to-HDMI cable), VGA, composite and component video, and audio input. There is no necessity to buy an adaptor, as ViewSonic includes a DVI to HDMI cable as well as a VGA cable. This monitor has a non-swiveling base. It tilts up and down but no height adjustment. The display performance is quite ok. It is very bright with the default brightness set to its maximum. With the brightness set down to 60 from the default of 100, PC games and movies look great. Gamma adjustments are also required with video card’s controls, otherwise dark areas in movies and games lose all their detail and bright areas are overstated. The VX2835wm performs quite well and is among some of the better monitors to avoid smearing or ghosting afterimages. However with no extras like side-mounted inputs, card readers, or USB ports, no swivel adjustment, and a poorly placed HDMI plug; the ViewSonic’s 28-inch monitor may not please all.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,142
Points 14,910
frg1 replied on Sat, Mar 8 2008 7:39 PM

they all sound like they would be good for gaming  

Photobucket
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 458
Points 6,985
AjayD replied on Sun, Mar 9 2008 9:22 PM
I would definitely get the Dell 3008WFP. Aside from having a surplus of screen real estate it has a wide color gamut and the highest resolution you will find. It is a definite improvement over their 2007 model and it has a rather stylish design as well. I would buy this in a heart beat if I had 2g to spare on a monitor. If not the 30" I would get the 2408WFP 24". It has the same resolution as the 27" but covers a smaller area so the picture should be a little sharper up close. Plus it's only $699. Let us know what you get and how you like it once you have it.

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,142
Points 14,910
frg1 replied on Mon, Mar 10 2008 5:19 PM

one thing i like in gaming moniters is no glare because if im going to play games all day i like to have the blinds open so i at least get a little bit of sun

Photobucket
Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS