AMD B3-Stepping Opterons, Helping Pirates?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,205
Points 1,186,995
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Feb 6 2008 11:03 AM

According to a forum post at the IsoHunt website, the good folks at AMD were nice enough to hook up the admins with a pair of pre-production B3-stepping Opteron 2352 processors, what appear the be the first processors of their type to be "out in the wild".  AMD's B3 stepping is supposed to fix the TLB errata affecting current quad-core Opteron and Phenom processors.  But what's more interesting is that IsoHunt - a site that facilitates piracy - apparently got the processors directly from AMD.

"I'd like to thank the nice people at AMD for allowing us to have 2 pre-production engineering samples of their Opteron 2352 CPUs. These cpus have been installed in our primary database server (as of this afternoon) and we'll definitely be following up in the near future with our impressions of these particular cpus. (Although I'll admit that we ran all of our web traffic for about 20 minutes earlier today on those cpus without any issue, so they're certainly powerhouses)."

DailyTech followed up with AMD and was told the processors, if they are actually B3 silicon, did not come from AMD regardless of what the IsoHunt forum post says.  Hopefully more details will emerge in the coming days.  If this turns out to be true (which I doubt), it would be interesting to hear the rationale behind the decision to seed known supporters of piracy with cutting edge technology.

• | Post Points: 50
replied on Wed, Feb 6 2008 11:42 AM

It's fairly well known both Intel and AMD will give processors to bit torrent hosting sites because its a cheap way for them to test performance and reliability (due to mass traffic) so I dont doubt this story is true.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 48,660
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Feb 6 2008 1:08 PM
I see what you're saying, but IsoHunt isn't at typical Torrent tracker though.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,478
Points 47,090
ForumsAdministrator

Pirated CPU's for a pirate website!Devil

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS