2008 Honda Civic LX vs 2008 Mazda3 i Touring (4drs)

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 Posted: Tue, Feb 5 2008 6:17 PM

Hey guys, whats been up?!? As for me been car shopping for a bit and I believe I have it narrowed down to these 2 bad boys. My buget is about $18K and I would like a nice mix of economy vs power. From everything I have read these guys seem to be about the same across the board in most areas -- the area they differ is: Civic = little better economy whereas the Mazda 3 has a bit more giddy up.....

I just would like everyone's input in ALL aspects here -- maybe bring stuff up I didn't think about, personal experiences, etc....just hit me with all you got! :)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

the mozda is really nice i have driven my room mates, and I love my 98 honda accord.I would say thakt them for a test drive and see which one you like better. 

I think i would go with the mazda though i'm just not a fan of the current honda front end's 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
?????

><((((">Lev Astov

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Wed, Feb 6 2008 12:02 PM

Lev_Astov:
?????

That's it! Lev you totally made up my mind........haha 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,416
Points 46,585
ForumsAdministrator
I have owned 5 Mazdas and I believe they build great vehicles (I am really quite perplexed as to why Mazda is not more mainstream). Consumer Reports Magazine likes the Mazda 3, too, and you might want to purchase one of their annual buyer's guides and read their reviews of the 3 and the Civic. I suggest you call your insurance company in advance and compare rates before you buy, as the Civic is probably more likely to be stolen. That Mazda 6 is sweet, too!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Thu, Feb 7 2008 12:30 AM

Super Dave:
I suggest you call your insurance company in advance and compare rates before you buy

I called them a few days back and they told me that but just going by the make/model of the vehicle the insurance was comparable (about $120-130 a month for either).

Good advice though buddy, thank you! : ) I will look into some consumer reports articles and see what I can dig up....once again I appreciate it 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 306
Points 3,470
ryan92084 replied on Thu, Feb 7 2008 12:19 PM

Super Dave:
(I am really quite perplexed as to why Mazda is not more mainstream)

prolly because their commercials are awful

Phenom 9850 | Foxconn A79a-s | Visiontek 4870

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,416
Points 46,585
ForumsAdministrator

ryan92084:
prolly because their commercials are awful

Yes, they are. But go test-drive a rotary RX-8 and you will be amazed! Zoom zoom zoom.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

I'm personally biased to Subaru.  However, I'd say mazda3. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Sat, Feb 9 2008 12:17 PM

My o My...I think EVERYONE I haved talked to or heard from seems to like Mazda over Honda.......I don't think I would have expected it.

Well I am off to test drive the Civic and then probably check out the Mazda again for a 2nd test drive. Anything in particular I should look for aside from general feel and response to braking/acceleration? 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,416
Points 46,585
ForumsAdministrator
Drive the RX-8 while you are there...just for the heck of it!Stick out tongue

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,063
Points 10,760
Grahf replied on Mon, Feb 11 2008 10:06 PM

Mazda3 for sure. RX8 is nice but you'd probably like the Mazda3 better in the long run. RX8 is a lot more sporty looking, that's for sure. Cobalt is also a decent choice if you're not adverse to American cars (consumer reports hates all American cars regardless of anything). The reason most people are replying with the Mazda over the Honda is that they probably don't like barely being able to accelerate getting onto the interstate Wink

I beat the Internet... the end guy was hard

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Tue, Feb 12 2008 8:28 AM

Heck Ice if you are going to spend about 18k why not spend another 6 grand and get a real FULL SIZED car like the Mecury Gran Marquis, or the Ford Crown Victoria.  You could probably go out and find a good used car that was owened by an older couple that has been babied, and pay alot less, and get more of a car.  IMO those lil shat cars dont have enough metal around them to suit me, and they ride rougher than a school bus without shocks.  If you do have to get a lil shat car then get the mazda, as honda is pure crap.  One more thing, dont pay sticker price, if you do you are getting so ripped off.  You should be able to swing the price down about 5 grand or more from their asking price if you know how to deal well. 

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,063
Points 10,760
Grahf replied on Thu, Feb 14 2008 3:09 PM
I wouldn't say Hondas are junk Drago. They're actually really reliable cars. It is just in terms of power the Civic doesn't quite have as much as the Mazda3 (plus the Mazda3 has about the best handling of any compact car). Also about going fullsize... when financing the difference of $6,000 is rather significant in monthly payments/interest. And no way you're getting $5000 off the MRSP of a new car, even if it is a 2007 model, $3000 tops. That's as much as you'll get shaved off. If you qualify you get more bonuses like 0% for a timeframe, etc.

I beat the Internet... the end guy was hard

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Fri, Feb 15 2008 9:34 AM

I dont do financing, i pay cash for my cars, and that will get you better deals.  I go by the old rule of thumb, if you dont have the money to get it then you wait till you have saved enough to afford it.  I still havent gotten a new car, and may not ever, i buy used cars and get good prices on them.  Oh and yes honda's are crap, you couldnt pay me enough money to drive one of those unreliable POS. 

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Sat, Feb 16 2008 5:27 PM

I think I decided upon 'de mazda -- the ride is VERY smooth, nice suspension....lotta giddy up n go and great mileage overall.

Drago, I don't think I would ever drive a full sized car -- just too bulky and "old grandpa" for my liking. Granted the ride will never be smoother but that again I dont want to lull myself to sleep while I drive....i want to feel a LITTLE bit of the road ;)

Sticker prices are high yes. Actually I believe cost for these guys is ~ $12k so I doubt they'd take off 5k for me....but I did manage to get about double my trade-in value on my old car along with about a dozen+ free oil changes, free car washes and I am going to try and get a set of tires as well....

Haha, what else do you think i could get?! (I wouldn't mind 16" rims over the stock 15s" but i think that'd be asking quite a bit) 

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS