Vista RC1 Redux

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,205
Points 1,186,995
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jan 12 2008 7:59 PM

Many corporations and government bodies tend to hold off purchasing a new Windows operating system until at least the first service pack (SP1) is out the door, and thus it comes as no surprise that Microsoft has been burning the midnight oil to get Vista SP1 ready to ship.  To that end Microsoft has developed a new release candidate (RC) version of the Vista SP1.  After all, the organizations waiting to buy are doing so on the theory that SP1 typically means 'stable enough' to keep their IT staff from jumping out of the windows, so a premature release of SP1 wouldn't go over well.

While the announcement of a new Vista SP1 RC was initially only good news for users participating in Microsoft's group of private third party testers, it seems that Microsoft is looking to gather more input:

“In the interest of gaining additional tester feedback, on Thursday, we made the Windows Vista SP1 RC Refresh available via Windows Update to interested beta testers on the public TechNet site. We are still on schedule to deliver SP1 RTM in Q1 CY08. The final release date is based on quality, so we will continue to track customer and partner feedback from the beta program before setting a final date.”

After numerous blogs and reviews of Vista suggested that that the long overdue OS was rushed to retail before it was entirely ready, it seems like Microsoft is focused on putting quality first.

• | Post Points: 35
replied on Sun, Jan 13 2008 2:33 AM
I think that happens with every windows version.. they have a lot they want to put into the os but they seems to always end up having to strip down some of it to make deadlines.. I was very disapointed the new winfs never made it in and i thought they should of only made a 64 bit edition to finish the 32 to 64 bit market conversion. Of course those who needed 32 bit would of just stayed with xp until they upgraded.. Owe and enough with the different versions.. just make Vista pro and Vista home edition. Keep it simple.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 replied on Sun, Jan 13 2008 6:34 PM
If the Vista SP1 happen to be 15% faster than xp this would be a huge win for them. not only in the IT world but at least everyone would stop whinning and complaining about vista.
I got my hope on' I'm one of those people like I always have said I' am in favor of Microsoft and they just need to get their act straight.

MacBook Pro 13.3" LED-Backlit Glossy, Intel "Penryn" Core 2 Duo T8700 - 2.53G, 8GB DDR3 1066, NVIDIA GForce 9400M 1280X800

HTPC 4G DDR3 XMS Corsair, Intel i5-750 Quad Core, 6ft HDMI Cable by Rosewill, AverMedia Tv Card, Gigabyte P55M-UD2,  Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 with Vapor X Cooling, 500 HD Maxtor 7200 2.5 HDD, Asus Blu-Ray Optical Drive, 46" LED Toshiba TV

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

kid007:
15% faster

Not likely, but equal would be good enough!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 306
Points 3,470
ryan92084 replied on Mon, Jan 14 2008 7:09 AM

if i remember correctly, and don't quote me on this, the prelim reports said that rc1 was 10% faster than vista... the new xp was seeing an even bigger gain

Phenom 9850 | Foxconn A79a-s | Visiontek 4870

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS