iPond: Animal Cruelty for Your iPod

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,920
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Dec 16 2007 1:08 PM

A speaker system for the iPod that doubles as a fish tank is flying off the shelves in Australia. It’s also drawing the attention of animal rights activists and aquarists.

The device, called an iPond, sells for $70. It’s being sold at two
retail chains, Pets Paradise and Pet Goods Direct. However, it can only
hold 650 ml of water once rocks are added (as pictured).

Additionally, the speaker is directly below the tank and noise undoubtedly is transferred into the tank.

Pets Paradise sells the iPond with a Siamese Fighting Fish in it … a
little research reveals that a Siamese Fighting Fish is supposed to
have a minimum tank size of 10 liters.

That's pretty shameful.  Just to be clear though, it's a 3rd-party item, not directly associated with Apple.

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 80
Roostitup replied on Sun, Dec 16 2007 1:40 PM
This idea is absolutely horrible and I can't believe that people think this is a good idea! These pet stores that sell this product clearly shouldn't be in business if this is how they think animals should be treated! If you ask me, life is just as valuable to a fish as it is to us and there is no reason for us to disrespect the life of another organism for the pure sake of pleasure! Someone somewhere needs to put a stop to these disrespectful attitudes towards other forms of life or we are going to screw more crap up...I can see it now...consumers wanting a new genetically modified betta that is 1/4th the size so it will survive in their damn IPond. DON'T BUY THESE!
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 2,540
JeffB replied on Sun, Dec 16 2007 3:41 PM
It amazes me that something like this actually made it to market. It's OK to stop and think.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,872
Points 64,370

OMG...haha...words cannot describe how stupid some people are. The people buying them are just as stupid as the folks making it.  

Intel E6850 * Patriot 4GB DDR 2 800 * EVGA 8800 Ultra * EVGA 680i Mobo "It's my...err...human nature to always want more!"- Myself Gamer Tags: X-Box 360 - Linus84 | PS3- Linus84 | Wii- 013014813390

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,614
Points 67,270
^Bad_Boy^ replied on Mon, Dec 17 2007 9:01 AM

At first I thought it was one of those toy Aquariums, like the one I bought a couple of years ago. its USB Powered, and it has 2 plastic fish that move "like real fish" thanks to the current made by the small propeller inside.. But Now I understand they're talking about using it with real Fish!!.. That's Insane!

Dammit! What's My Age Again???

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Mon, Dec 17 2007 10:11 AM
The name iPond is amusing, but that's where the amusement ends. There's a reason this is being marketed in Australia and not America. There are many more people here who would never allow such a thing to succeed. Oh, and what the heck is an aquarist?

><((((">Lev Astov

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Mon, Dec 17 2007 10:13 AM
Just goes to show you what idiots will buy these days. IDK why people like the icrap accessories to begin with, its just a waste of money.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS