Hillary Clinton Wants ESRB Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,867
Points 1,115,965
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Nov 22 2007 1:47 AM

Apparently the Manhunt 2 controversy isn't over quite yet, and with presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton throwing herself into the fray, it isn't likely to end anytime soon.  What is Hillary planning on this time?  A review of the ESRB.

For those who haven't been following the situation, here's a recap:

“Last June, three European countries banned the vidgame, and the board (ESRB) slapped it with the AO rating for the same reason: a high level of violence. Blighty officials said "Manhunt 2" was unacceptable because of an "unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone" that constantly "encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing."

Publisher Rockstar Games -- which also distributes the notorious "Grand Theft Auto" -- decided to delay release of "Manhunt 2" pending changes.
European officials did not feel the changes that Rockstar made were sufficient, and they upheld the ban of the vidgame. The Entertainment Software Ratings Board, however, dropped the AO rating to an M, which is far more conducive to mass sales.”

Hillary Clinton and a few fellow lawmakers seem to feel that the European rating system provides results that are more repeatable, and reliable.  To that end, they want to conduct a review of the ESRB's rating system and practices.

We're hoping that this won't interfere with any new releases.  After all, what better way is there to test your hardware?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 replied on Thu, Nov 22 2007 5:13 PM
This woman is in all the angles, getting conservative, liberal and independants. By she doing this is getting into those votes that claim that video games lead to violence.

What ever happen to Mortal Kombat 2 and 3? I never killed anyone and i was a fan of that game. Oh wait i guess i'm the exception!!

MacBook Pro 13.3" LED-Backlit Glossy, Intel "Penryn" Core 2 Duo T8700 - 2.53G, 8GB DDR3 1066, NVIDIA GForce 9400M 1280X800

HTPC 4G DDR3 XMS Corsair, Intel i5-750 Quad Core, 6ft HDMI Cable by Rosewill, AverMedia Tv Card, Gigabyte P55M-UD2,  Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 with Vapor X Cooling, 500 HD Maxtor 7200 2.5 HDD, Asus Blu-Ray Optical Drive, 46" LED Toshiba TV

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,872
Points 64,370

Sorry to revive an old thread but I just had to for this. This is crazy. I always heard that the ESRB was self kept by the software industry and that the government doesn't have any control over it and they cannot take control.

I personally would think it was funny if someone beat hell out of her and then claimed Doom made them do it. That would be classic.

Intel E6850 * Patriot 4GB DDR 2 800 * EVGA 8800 Ultra * EVGA 680i Mobo "It's my...err...human nature to always want more!"- Myself Gamer Tags: X-Box 360 - Linus84 | PS3- Linus84 | Wii- 013014813390

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625

entermymatrix03:
I personally would think it was funny if someone beat hell out of her and then claimed Doom made them do it. That would be classic.

*After playing years of halo* -- "I thought sticking them with a plasma grenade was customary for political officals? I didn't know it was wrong because the video game rewards you if you do it"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,063
Points 10,760
Grahf replied on Thu, Dec 6 2007 7:42 PM
I want a parental review.

I beat the Internet... the end guy was hard

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS