Wireless data Transfer help

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
Ekibyogami Posted: Tue, Nov 20 2007 3:09 PM

Hello ppls,

I want to be able to transfer data from one computer to another/access the other computer using some sort of wireless device but I am not sure of what to get. I don't mean the general setting up a network through a wireless router because I want to do this without them and outside of the internet.

Is there anything through a regular wireless card with program or perhaps a bluetooth chip that I can get to do this? Also, how far is too far, if there is something to be able to do this transfer? Because my 2 computers are in seperate rooms.

Thanks much.

elbativeni si htaed
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 260
HouseofLo replied on Tue, Nov 20 2007 3:56 PM
The way I would go about it is simply remove the hard drive from one of the computers and install it in the other computer. If you're not comfortable with that, consider getting an external hard drive then use it as a vehicle to transfer stuff from one to another.
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60

I have all that available already but none the less wanted to know about a possible wireless way. Thanks though.

elbativeni si htaed
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,934
Points 24,785
digitaldd replied on Fri, Nov 23 2007 5:20 PM

What you want is a NAS [Network Attached Storage] kit which has a wireless option. Should run about $150-300 depending upon the features you want.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60

So basically this let's me hook up any harddrive in there and has wireless in there that I can connect to just the same as if I was connecting to a router and can do so from multiple computer looking at it as though another external HD right?

Thanks much since this is pretty much what I was looking for though not exactly since it means buying something else externally but it seems the only solution. So again, Thank You digitaldd. 

elbativeni si htaed
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,934
Points 24,785
digitaldd replied on Mon, Dec 3 2007 11:35 AM

Ekibyogami:

So basically this let's me hook up any harddrive in there and has wireless in there that I can connect to just the same as if I was connecting to a router and can do so from multiple computer looking at it as though another external HD right? 

Yes that is the idea, some NAS devices work very well with Windows, Linux or OS X's networking others require a client which must be installed on the computer. If it requires a special client be installed it probably won't work with a Mac or with Linux.

Thanks much since this is pretty much what I was looking for though not exactly since it means buying something else externally but it seems the only solution. So again, Thank You digitaldd. 

No Problem.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS