Trend Micro: Game Consoles Need Anti-virus Too!

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,826
Points 1,168,130
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Nov 17 2007 6:33 PM
As consoles once again start looking a lot more like PCs in terms of functionality and capabilities, they are going to need anti-virus protection.  At least, that's what Tokyo-based Trend Micro wants PS3 owners to think just about 5 seconds before said PS3 owners buy their new anti-virus software for the PS3.

“The company bills the software as the first of its kind for a home gaming system. It was released earlier this month as part of a PS3 upgrade and will be free until April.

Some industry experts wonder whether consumers will leap for the technology the way they snap up security products for the more vulnerable PC and whether protection for video game consoles is really necessary.”

We're certainly interested in seeing how many viruses crop up for the PS3, and what types of viruses they are.  It seems unlikely that it will become a major target for virus developers because of the comparatively small installed base (compared to PCs) and the fact that many use the console for gaming and not internet banking, etc.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Mon, Nov 19 2007 9:50 AM

I guess I can't understand it for PS3 off the top of my head -- MAYBE make sense for 360 since you can enter credit card info to buy MS points and renew XBL etc....that is a general security risk. what would PS3 have similiar?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Mon, Nov 19 2007 10:08 AM
Viruses just to piss you off?

><((((">Lev Astov

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS