Setting up a wired network....

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
Tweej Posted: Fri, Aug 24 2007 12:43 PM

I am planning on setting up a wired network to an adjoining bedroom from my ntl (virgin media) cable modem...

What exactly will i need to buy to set this up... i will be going thru a hole in the wall...

Thanks in advance for your help

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,692
Points 55,940
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Aug 24 2007 2:11 PM

Heya Tweej,

First welcome to HH!  It sounds to me that you might have another system hanging off the cable modem in that other room.  Is that right?  If so, you'll need either a switch or router to share your cable connection.  The most common thing to do would be to get a Wireless Router from the likes of Linksys (Cisco) or Netgear, etc.  These routers come with integrated WiFi obviously for future wireless connectivity but also typically have four wired Ethernet ports in the back as well.  Get a Gig-E capable Wireless Router and you'll be able to share that connection over a snappy Gig-E connection.  You would connect your cable modem to the upstream port on the router and then plug both machines (the one near the modem and the one in your bedroom), to the downstream ports on the router. 

All of these routers come with auto-configuration menus built in, so you should be good to go.

Good luck!  Big Smile 

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
Tweej replied on Fri, Aug 24 2007 2:27 PM

Thanks for the info... sounds simple enough but thought i would make sure before starting... when buying the router will these come with all the required cables or do i need to get these seperate? checked routers and they dont say much about wires and cables...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 24,775
digitaldd replied on Fri, Aug 24 2007 8:32 PM

Usually you get one ethernet cable with a router to connect it to your cable/dsl modem. You would need to buy one for each computer you intend to connect. also each machine should have a network card unless they already have one.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS