Finally building a new sys

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 640
hotmomgeek Posted: Sat, Aug 18 2007 7:46 AM

Finally getting around to building a new sys.  Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4G, ASUS P5WDG2-WS, Kingston HyperX 240pin DDR2 SDRam 800 2GB are the essentials.  I also bought a nicer heatsink and fan, Arctic Ceramique, GForce 8600 VC, etc to fill in the gaps of the carcass that's sitting in my home office for the past 8 months. I had a brand new 650w PSU that I never used that I'm throwing in there plus a DVD/CD writer that I used maybe 3 times before my old system crapped out on me.  I even got yet another SATA drive to install the operating system since my 2 SATA drives were raided on an AMD system and I don't want to screw around with trying to marry them to all the chipset drivers on the intel board.

Any words of wisdom for this ancient computer user building this new system?  Parts aren't here yet so I have some time to prepare myself.  I feel like those idiots talking to David Carradine in the Yellow Book commercial.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Solid choices, the E6600 OCs well(1 of the best bang for the buck cpus ever in the market IMO)and Kingston ram is at the very least good... if not great ram(should hit at least 900 if not 1000 at cas5)! The 8600GT is a good value that under XP will score 5000+ on 3D mark 06 with a little OC on your cpu. What OS will you be using?

I'm still on XP despite having a rig that can easily handle Vista because XP offers better gaming performance and current DX10 effects aren't impressive enough to me(not like going from no AA to 4/8x, that's something more substantial IMO). Halo 2 & 3 might warrent the switch for a fan, but I've never played a Halo game IML(I haven't been hiding under a rock... I swear). Since Bioshock and Crysis will run on XP, I'll wait for SP1 before getting on board with Vista.

BTW: I'm not bashing Vista/Vista users at all, I'm just doing what feels best to me!

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 640

I have a LEGAL XP SP2 disk I actually BOUGHT for my last system (WOW paid for software, I know it's a shock) I'm wondering if I can install it and try to register it again.  I've only used it once so I don't know what it will do if I try to use it again.  I was thinking of partitioning the 250Gig drive I got and going for a dual boot with Vista but I don't know if I have enough energy to try or if it's even possible.  I'd love to load up on games and spend my time beating the pants off my 16yr old nephew, but my husband and child would sell me to the circus.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

hotmomgeek:
I'm wondering if I can install it and try to register it again

abso-friggin-lutely!

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 640

recoveringknowitall:

abso-friggin-lutely!

Famous last words.   I'm sure I'll get some ridiculous message on Microsoft's website that says "You've already registered your pricey software once, you'll have to buy it all over again, sucker.  Try downloading an illegal crack like you've been doing for 10+ years now."

What's the trick?  Download an illegal crack?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

uhh... no

I have 2 legit copies of XPproSP2 and have installed multiple times through the normal activation process. Either by phone or internet, it's always worked. By phone you'll deal with an automated system 90% of the time, but if you have to talk to a live rep it's no biggie.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 640

recoveringknowitall:

uhh... no

I have 2 legit copies of XPproSP2 and have installed multiple times through the normal activation process. Either by phone or internet, it's always worked. By phone you'll deal with an automated system 90% of the time, but if you have to talk to a live rep it's no biggie.

And they didn't ask for your first born?  I'm impressed.  I'll have to give it the ol' many years out of college try. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

lol

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,386
Points 22,475
Freeman replied on Mon, Aug 20 2007 4:09 PM

Haha, you two make me laugh.

Anyways, two things:

1. Yes you can reactivate, it simply nullifies the old location you had the OS with that key installed.

2. Great choices, should be a sweet system, post pics when it's up.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS