Error Loading newdev.dll

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 585
CCS Posted: Fri, Jul 20 2007 9:33 AM | Locked

I am trying to load the drivers for a BT Voyager 105 DSL Modem to install AOL onto a Win XP Pro PC

I have loaded these numerous times on my own machine (XP Home)

It keeps saying 'Error Loading newdev.dll', then tells me I need Administrative Priveleges to install DSL drivers.

I have only 1 user created who is created as an administrator so I don't see where this problem is coming from.

Any ideas???

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815
recoveringknowitall replied on Fri, Jul 20 2007 9:49 AM | Locked

Found this on another forum:

"First right click on my computer and click properties and go to the hardware tab and click hardware manager. There should be a yellow exclamation point on your usb modem. Right click and click update driver. If this doesn't work, then go to windows update, and if that doesn't work, then go to the manufacturers website and try downloading a new driver from them and make sure you uninstall the old driver first. Good Luck."

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 585
CCS replied on Fri, Jul 20 2007 9:56 AM | Locked

This is a completely new install - so I have no internet access as yet (the drivers won't load).

When I go into Hardware Devices, there are 3 items with Yellow Question Marks:

- Multimedia Audio Controller

- PCI Simple Communications Controller

- VGA Controller (VGA Compatible)

These usually have a problem or two until I get connected to the Internet to get updates installed.  Usually these would never cause me a problem when loading BT Voyager 105 Drivers.

This one is baffling me :(

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815
recoveringknowitall replied on Fri, Jul 20 2007 1:22 PM | Locked

I'm almost certain the correct drivers are here you'll need to download them somehow... from a friends pc or something onto a cd or usb flash drive.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815
recoveringknowitall replied on Fri, Jul 20 2007 7:06 PM | Locked

~bump~

Did that help?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
somugsundar replied on Thu, Apr 2 2009 4:39 AM | Locked

First, if ur modem and PC has Ehternet connectivity, use these for accessing internet.

if not then change the version of Windows XP, Since iam also faced the problem during installation of my broadband modem.

i tried a lot, by updating new version of USB driver from intel site. But no use.

In windows Xp service pack 2, it never allow users to add peripheral driver installation.

I changed the Windows Xp service pack 3, now i am able to load driver and modem working properly.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Natty replied on Mon, Sep 21 2009 2:02 PM | Locked

Agree with som....Uninstall Win XP Service Pack 3.......I was able to install this ADSL modem only after uninstalling SP3.........no there was no problem with the driver.......I also tried to install the official AOL DSL modem driver and that also gave me the same error when I tried it on SP3............once you unstill SP3 the installation is almost smooth

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Mon, Sep 21 2009 4:09 PM | Locked

Guys...  If he hasn't gotten on AOL by now, he never will.  :p

CCS Posted: Fri, Jul 20 2007 8:33 AM

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
G.Diamond replied on Fri, Sep 25 2009 8:06 PM | Locked

I recently had this problem after buying a voyager 210 modem/router to replace the voyager 105 (in my case supplied for AOL broadband)

I tried to uninstall the voyager 105 and encountered exactly this problem - newdev.dll missing, Admin privileges required

After alot of Internet searching I found no answers. But in desperation tried this and it worked. I am by no means any computer expert so don’t blame me if this does not work for you, or damages your machine.

To install my 210 modem I was following instructions found here -http://www.sohodata.co.uk/soho.htm But first I had to get rid of the 210

Here is what I did, exactly as I did it (some of it is probably unnecessary) Further below is a condensed version I expect would work.

1) Firstly I restarted in safe mode by pressing F8 in start-up ( I was doing this because i had remembered an administrator profile and considered attempting to uninstall from there.)

2) I logged on as the administrator.

3) Attempted to uninstall the voyager 105 via control panel and via the uninstall icon in the programme folder. - Both Failed with the above-mentioned problem.

4) I navigated to programme files. (Start> My computer> C drive> Programme files)

5) There I highlighted the folders "British Telecom", "BT Voyager 105 ADSL modem", " Voyager Modem Drivers", "Voyager Test". I cut these folders wholesale and pasted them to my USB pen/stick (incase I needed to put them back)

6) I then ran disk cleanup (Start> All Programmes> Accessories> System Tools.)

7) Then I turned off my computer and unplugged the USB pen/stick and the USB and DSL cables from the back of the Voyager 105.

8)I turned the computer back on (starting up normally), logged on with my normal username which has admin privileges. Ran the driver install for my new router (previously downloaded from BT at –(http://www.btopenworld.com/broadband/adhoc_pages/driver_homepage.html#yahoodrivers) It stated that a BT driver was already installed.

9) Navigated to add/remove programmes (Start> Control panel> add/remove programmes) selected the BT driver from the list selected uninstall …. AND IT DID ITBig Smile! No error, or messages about newdev.dll or privileges.

10) This left me free to install my new driver and go through its install process ending in plugging the USB into the back of the modem and having internet again.

Here is what I expect would work

1) Turn on and log on to any account with admin privileges.

2) Navigate to programme files. (Start> My computer> C drive> Programme files).

3) Select and delete (or to be safe, cut and paste to a removable drive) the folders "British Telecom", "BT Voyager 105 ADSL modem", " Voyager Modem Drivers", and "Voyager Test".

4) Remove removable drive and run disk clean up (Start> All Programmes> Accessories> System Tools).

5) Then I turned off my computer and unplugged existing modem.

6) Turn on computer log back onto account with admin privileges. Navigate to add/remove programmes (Start> Control panel> add/remove programmes) selected the BT driver from the list selected uninstall.

7) Install desired drivers/modem.

If you find this works for you too and have asked this question elsewhere, please copy this solution so others can solve this problem too.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Fri, Sep 25 2009 11:28 PM | Locked

Uhhhh...  what I'm trying to point out is that this guy had this problem.... *2 years* ago.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
FrancisJ replied on Mon, Aug 30 2010 10:44 PM | Locked

rolled back from IE8 to IE7 now no problem.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
FrancisJ replied on Mon, Aug 30 2010 10:49 PM | Locked

rolled back from IE8 to IE7 now no problem. so try that

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
rrrmmm replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 11:15 AM | Locked

I had a virus last night and i need it to reformat my windows... then  when start my windows i have an error message newdev. dll  missing... why..?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,925
OptimusPrimeTime replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 11:24 AM | Locked

rrrmmm:

I had a virus last night and i need it to reformat my windows... then  when start my windows i have an error message newdev. dll  missing... why..?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/newdev-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 11:29 AM | Locked

rrrmmm:

This is a continuation of a thread started in 2007. Start a new thread to discuss your new issues.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS