Help with TV purchase please!

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 836
Points 9,580
Eric Posted: Sat, Jun 16 2007 1:17 PM
Ok so I know practically nothing about HD-TV's but my parents wanted me to find them one/research it for them so here I am . I know they want one that is 36-37 inches approximatly, and I think they want it in 1080p resolution. They have heard of plasma TVs burning out and are kind of resistant to plasma TVs, has any one used/own/know anything about lcd tv's? Im pretty new to all of this so any advice/direction is appreciated. Cant wait to play some Wii on the new tv when we get it. Thanks in advance!!

-Also if any one could suggest some fun Wii games I would like to see what you think (just picked one up yesterday), i know enter has one, not sure who else does TY
My Rig: -AMD Athlon 64 3200 "Venice" -ASUS A8n SLI -2 gigs GelL RAM - XFX 6800GS XXX Edition - Thermaltake 450 watt PSU
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
Well 1080p is nice but unless they have blue ray or hd dvd's they don't need it. HDTV is only 1080i. You basicly have 3 options to choose from. LCD, PLasma or DLP. Now as far as quality goes LCD is at the top of the line. BUt they are pricey. A good quality 36" LCD will be around $2000. 2nd in line is plasma. They have really come along way from the plasma's that burn in but are not quite as good as LCD's. You get more TV for your money with a plasma over an LCD. NOw there's DLP. DLP's can be great tv's. YOu get a whole lot more for your money with a DLP TV. MIne was 1300 bucks and is a 46" samsung. It looks great. The only catch is you want a room that you can really control the light in. Bright rooms drasticly reduce the screen visibility. You want a room with no windows or have blinds that can block out almost all the light. The other downside to DLP's is the bulb. They need to be replaced from time to time and can be pricey to be replaced. Also when looking at LCD's go with a good quality brand like sony,samsung or sharp. Make sure they have a good contrast ratio like atleast 1000:1. Also note a cheap tv like a westinghouse may look great in the store when displaying a HD signal but when you view a SD signal on it at home it will be complete crap. The Best tv's a the sony bravia 3's. Good luck I know that TV hunting can be very frustrating. The other thing to consider is how far from the tv will you be sitting when viewingg. That is what determines what size you should get
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 836
Points 9,580
Eric replied on Mon, Jun 18 2007 10:55 AM
ya i would guess that the viewing is about 7 and a half or eight feet, so anything over 36 inches would be too big. The 1080p resolution is just a added feature then? An article i read said basically what you did about the blue ray with 1080p res, but also this tv hopefully would last quite a while and ive been reading that the next step in digital programing will enable channels to use the feature. I found a Sharp at Sears with pretty nice specs, but i havent gotten a chance to see it in person, heres a link: Sharp I also know that much like monitors, it can have a fast response and good specs and not look good in person, but this seems to be a good bang for your buck.

EDIT: Also i know that my Dad wants a LCD TV, because he doesnt want to risk burn in or have to replace the bulb in a DLP TV
My Rig: -AMD Athlon 64 3200 "Venice" -ASUS A8n SLI -2 gigs GelL RAM - XFX 6800GS XXX Edition - Thermaltake 450 watt PSU
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
That definetly looks like a nice LCD. And yes your right you definetly have to go see it in person before you buy it. It's not a bad price for it either. When you go to see it in person ask them if you can see the remote to check out all the features available. You want to make sure you have a good bit of options for changeing color, brightness etc. SOme TV's are very limited and some have way to many otpions and can get complicated. Your parents may not want a TV with to many options if they are anything like mine. Getting a 1080p tv is not a bad idea unless your really on a budget. I would say for 8 feet that you should go between 36-40". no less no more so your right in that ball park. From what I can tell it looks like a good solid choice. keep us posted on how it goes and how they like they're TV.
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 836
Points 9,580
Eric replied on Tue, Jun 19 2007 11:41 AM
Thanks for your help, I will keep you posted, but it might be a little while if my local sears doesnt carry that model, other places have the same model like best buy but for about 200 dollars more. What do you think about ordering online, if i saw the monitor at bestbuy, then ordered it from sears maybe?
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
yep. you can order online as long as you view the exact same model # in a local store first.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS