Shortcuts

What is PC100-322-620

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 835
SirDeity Posted: Thu, Jul 20 2006 6:22 AM
Hello. I have an old system that's been broken down for over a year now. I've since purchased a new almost top of the line machine, but my step-dad's computer needs to be upgraded so I wanted to try salvaging the memory from my old system to install in his computer so he can play Battlefield 2 with me. Anyway, his computer only has 512MB of memory. I took apart my old system and found only two sticks inside. It says "PC100-322-620" on the yellow stickers and "HYUNDAI 0022 KOREA" on the smaller white stickers. First off, this system was supposed to have 1GB of memory. That's what it always said on the DXDiag and system information and so I assumed it was true. This is actually the first time I've ever opened it up and looked at the memory sticks myself, though. I did a quick google search and found results indicating that these sticks are only 128MB (512MB total). Is this the case or am I mistaken and there're actually 512MB each (for a total of 1GB as they should be)? Also, what do I have to determine in order to know whether they are compatible with my step-dad's system? Do they have to all be PC100 sticks in order to be compatible? Do they all have to be the same brand? If they have to be the same brand, is the brand of the sticks from my old system Hyundai?

Thank you.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,629
Points 21,115
No don't have to be the same brand, but the memory from your system is old SDRAM, 168 pin. You need to find out what kind of ram your dad system takes, but most likley ts DDR SDRAM 184pin. You just got to use the same kind of RAM. You can't use SDRAM in a system that takes DDR SDRAM. Also if you get ram that has high CAS latency, or is slower then the faster RAM will run at the slower speed to match the slower RAM. Lower CAS is better, and if your getting DDR try to get DDR400 if the system will take it. If your not sure then you might want to go with DDR333. RAM is cheap right now just buy some new stuff, and find a use for the old PC, or keep it just in case your new system stops working for some reason.
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 835
SirDeity replied on Thu, Jul 20 2006 6:44 AM
Thank you for the reply. I've got a few old systems just sitting around collecting dust. I figure at the least I can use them for school. I'm in college for Computer and Electrical Engineering so maybe some of it can be used. Anyway, I'll go check what kind of memory he is using later (when my mother isn't still sleeping in the room where the computer is). For right now, I'm curious how much memory costs? You mentioned it was cheap. Should I just enter DDR333 and DDR400 in google and see what shows up? Or is there a special place to purchase it cheap that you know about? I'm only willing to invest up to $200.00 toward upgrading his computer and I already have to buy a newer video card for it (I'm told the video card will cost anywhere from $70-$110 - his old one isn't compatible with Battlefield 2 - I'll try to find the best deal for a video card that works fine with BF2 with graphics settings at minimum). Any suggestions or advice in regard to the memory or video card would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the timely response! =)

PS. Wow! Nice computer specs on your sig. My year old computer's strong points are its 3.6Ghz processor, 2MB memory, and 10,000RPM hard drive. The video card is just okay for modern games. It can barely handle the more graphics intensive games out there on maximum graphics settings - but it's good enough until next summer. What's the background of your sig from? It looks like a Xenon ship. Have you played X3: Reunion?
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,629
Points 21,115
Sounds like you got a good rid yourself. Dude there are guys on here with alot better computers than mine. If you have a lot of systems you should try putting some of them to use. You can make then into a NAS with NASlite, make a proxy server (there is a good thread on that in the Networking and Internet Connectivity section), or make a HTPC out of them. Have you ever watched Hak.5, they turned an old PC into a table top arcade machine that ran MAME. Plus if thats what your going to school for you would probably like the show. You can find it at Hak5.org.

The best place to buy RAM I have found is newegg.com. You can also find some good deals at zipzoomfly.com, and monarchcomputer.com (no sales tax at the monarch). And there is always ebay, BUT WATCH OUT BUYING RAM ON EBAY! There is this stuff called high density RAM all over ebay. Stay the Hell away from it! And when buying a card make sure you get one that is compatible. There is AGP, and PCI express. Most likely your dad's system is AGP if its oldder. If it is AGP then you should probably get him this card.

There was a guy on the forum selling a 512mb stick of RAM cheap HERE
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

to: giantjoebot    your post says you are in my computer messing with my myspace page.... why??

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 70
Kryglower replied on Mon, May 19 2014 6:57 AM

This posts is very informative. Thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS