Strange problem with Linksys WRT54G router setup screen

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,360
Daze Posted: Thu, Mar 9 2006 5:23 PM
Hello

I have just got a new Linksys WRT54G. I ran the setup and it's all working fine. Both my PCs and PSP can access the net no problem.

The problem is when I try to access the Configuration utility.

The layout of the screen that comes up matches the one shown in the manual and what seem to be the IP fields are populated with the correct info but, here's the strange thing.....

The field headings/labels are blank, ie none of the fields have any indication of what they are. The only
information outwith the fields are linksys/cisco logos and that it is version 1.00.1.

The only thing that can be clicked on is a "&" symbol near the top which brings up another screen of nameless data.

Hope this makes sense. (probably not)

Thas happens with both IE and firefox.

I have tried turning my firewall off and it makes no difference.

I have tried accessing from both PC connected to the router - no difference.

I tried to upgrade the Firmware but got an error message "Unable to get responses from the server". Not that I should have to do this to a new out of the box product just to get it to perform a basic function.

I've got a screen print but I keep getting "error uploading file" when I try to attach it to this post (any idea why that might be? It's only 96kb)

Thanks in advance

System (using Vista 32 bit)
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9650 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 2MB L3 Cache
MoBo: ASUS M4N72-E nForce 750a SLI
Graphics: Palit HD3870 512MB graphics card
RAM: 2Gb (Crucial 2GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Ballistix Memory CL4 2.0V)
PSU: Zalman 600W Heatpipe cooled
Drivers up to date and (if possible) updated versions of antivirus/spyware etc software run prior to asking questions

• | Post Points: 140
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,386
Points 22,475
Freeman replied on Thu, Mar 9 2006 5:29 PM
hmm, have you tried resetting to factory defaults?

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,360
Daze replied on Thu, Mar 9 2006 5:58 PM
Hi Freeman, just tried it - no luck.

Thanks for your quick reply anyway

Drivers up to date and (if possible) updated versions of antivirus/spyware etc software run prior to asking questions

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,360
Daze replied on Thu, Mar 9 2006 7:06 PM
Here's a link to a screenshot. the drop down menus are blank

http://photobucket.com/albums/e250/dvdwrght/?action=view¤t=config_screen.jpg

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,126
Points 14,225
hmmmm. looks like a hardware problem within the router itself. doesnt look like you can fix it
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,065
ForumsAdministrator
Hello Daze. I was reading a few of the 359 reviews of the WRT54G on NewEgg. Yikes. If it makes you feel any better, there are a lot of people who are having trouble with it. There were problems with the firmware, as well as a newer, inferior, version of the WRT54G. You might want to read these REVIEWS yourself and see if you can gather anything useful from them. I have a WRT54G myself that is over 2 years old, and it works fine. I never had any problems with Linksys, except for the fact that they never sent me my rebate. As a result of that, they have lost me as a customer. If that router is so troublesome, perhaps you can still return it...

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,386
Points 22,475
Freeman replied on Fri, Mar 10 2006 1:15 AM
i woudl highly recommend dlink, great service, price, and awesome performance as well.

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,360
Daze replied on Fri, Mar 10 2006 12:42 PM
Thanks very much for the replies everyone.

I'm sending it back to Amazon for a refund. I'll have a look at the Dlink routers.

Cheers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,386
Points 22,475
Freeman replied on Fri, Mar 10 2006 12:45 PM
perfect, if you have any questions about the dlink ones ask away.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
langr replied on Mon, Aug 7 2006 3:02 PM
Just purchased a WRT54G (v5) - experiencing exactly the same issue with the Set-up page (doesn't display tab, links, etc. - the only active link is that crazy ampersand (&.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,065
ForumsAdministrator
I have version 2 of the WRT54G and I just upgraded the router's firmware to Alchemy V.1 (FREE from SveaSoft). One of the nice features about Alchemy is that it allows me to boost the transmitting power from the OEM 28 mw all the way up to 251 mw. Your version 5 of the WRT54G does not support this firmware and, from what I have read, is the least desirable of the versions that Linksys produced. There is some interesting reading about this topic HERE. If I were you I would return your troublesome router and replace it with an earlier version, or buy a different brand. Good luck, langr.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Colt725 replied on Thu, Mar 15 2007 4:42 PM
I am helping a friend setup his Linksys wrt54g router. He just having a tough time with something that should be so easy. After visiting several sights I told him to return the wrt54g and to get the WRT54GL. Seems Linksys did a total redo on the wrt54g and called it ver 5, ver 6 sucks too!!.

The WRT54GL is basically the same on the inside as the wrt54g ver. 4
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,629
Points 21,115
I say take it back and get a Buffalo router and load it with DD-WRT
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40

i've been having the same problem with my linksys wrt54g v2 router.  i recently upgraded to a new router and pulled this out of the closet to setup for my father.  but the setup screen is identical to this picture,
http://photobucket.com/albums/e250/dvdwrght/?action=view&current=config_screen.jpg  i've tried hard resetting and i've tried upgrading the firmware using TFTP but with no success.  i've tried dealing with tech support but they didn't understand what i was getting at.  i even tried to direct them to the screenshot to get a better understandind of the issue but they wouldn't look at the link.  i was wondering if anyone has been able to resolve this problem.  thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I would say try loading tomato on it or returning it.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
drdudephd replied on Thu, Nov 6 2008 10:58 PM

i was actually able to find a workaround.  my new router is also a linksys and i was able to navigate to the upgrade screen on the new router and then disconnect from the new router and then plug in the older router.  i was able to navigate to dd-wrt firmware and update.  it was done by accident but seemed to work.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

drdudephd:

i was actually able to find a workaround.  my new router is also a linksys and i was able to navigate to the upgrade screen on the new router and then disconnect from the new router and then plug in the older router.  i was able to navigate to dd-wrt firmware and update.  it was done by accident but seemed to work.

Good deal. Glad to see you got it working. Also Welcome to HH forums!

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS