Blu Ray or HD DVD

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev Posted: Mon, Mar 6 2006 2:58 PM
realease of BDs and HDDVDs are immenint.who predicts what
i think it will end up like DVD+ and DVD- situation.players which can play both formats will become the norm.

• | Post Points: 305
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 310
Points 9,425
l aedis l replied on Mon, Mar 27 2006 10:25 PM
blu ray is better than HD DVDs in so many ways....
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 99
Points 1,200
sven replied on Tue, Mar 28 2006 6:56 PM
Even the name "Blu Ray" is better!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Sun, Apr 9 2006 7:50 AM
I will stick to HD-DVD . Blu Ray offers more space but at what price?
With HD-DVD being cheaper to manufacture as current factories don't have to make any massive changes to the current manufacturing methods. Blu Ray involves a whole new system. This means HD-DVDs will be significantly cheaper. And at the way things are at presnt with DVDs being expensive I really amn't arsed about a 40% incease in quality or speacial features. Hd-DVD will also be out first by a couple of months. This means prices will drop quicker and a user base wil have been established.Take a look at Beta v VHS a similar situation has a occured today showing history repeats itself. VHS had the same attributes HD-DVD today.Also don't be fooled by the number of companies backing blu ray. The impression has been given that these companies are exclusively producing Blu Ray content this isn't true many have said they will produce both formats also toshiba is an extremely powerful technology manufacturer and has more market share than several blu ray backers.The fact that the industry has't agreed on one standard is just sad but I guess its the way it works.
Iamn't a HD-DVD fanboi spreading my propaganda but do feel HD-DVD makes more sense.
I suppose it fundamentally stems from the thought.
Would you prefer quality or value. While for me I would like to say quality I am a student and have limited income and would rather 10 HD-DVDs as opposed to 6 Blu Ray movies(Price differential).
Another factor is the game industry . I personally think they will decide on which user base is bigger. But since I have seen no game take up more than 1DVD of data haveing the equivalent of 6 DVDs is enough and having 10 DVDs is overkill for at least 2 years anyway.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Mon, Apr 17 2006 5:57 PM
Sorry for double post but it has been a while since I posted in this thread. But it needed to be bumped in my opinion because HD-DVDs are finally shipping check here

Also panasonic are now offering a DVD player which up converts the signal to 720p/1080i. This isn't the first one but its the first resonably priced at 100 dollars. The HD TV snowball is starting to really get rolling.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,856
Points 28,070
Ne0rC replied on Mon, Apr 17 2006 8:06 PM
I'm waiting for whoever to win to drop their prices, a LOT.

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 285
njlx016 replied on Mon, Apr 9 2007 10:40 PM
Hopefully, alot more cheaper HD DVD / Blu Ray combo drives and players will come out soon. Personally, I'm rooting for HD DVD because Blu Ray is a Sony technology, and there are tons of failed proprietary technologies from them (Minidisc, MemoryStick, UMDs)
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,614
Points 67,270
I'm also Rooting for The HD-DVD/BluRay Combos.... Of course cheaper ones..

Dammit! What's My Age Again???

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Tue, May 8 2007 6:08 PM
I just got a DVD burner, and that was just cause games started coming only in DVD, that and backing up to 4 cds is a pain. By the time i will need to go to something like that the newer uber stuff will be out. I liked how i played the dvd, waited till i got a lite on dvd dual layer burner for $30.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,614
Points 67,270
hehe... damn It took u long..

My first DvD Rom, I bought it in summer 1999... Sony 5x DvDRom... and I still have my NEC 2500 8x DVD+-RW Burner and Upgraded the firmware to make it DL... and I'm not planning on getting a new one till the BluRay/HD-DVD All In One Burners hit the street at an affordable price ...

Of course I have a SuperMultiDrive on my laptop ..it burns DVDs at 8x.. it's not bad

Dammit! What's My Age Again???

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 24,275
Neither right now, I'm waiting for one camp or the other to win out.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815
" "
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
Resurrecting an old(er) thread here..........I have read and read and read over the past year and the battle seems to go back n forth n back n forth. Blu-ray seems to have the slight edge here (because of the $$ backing the marketing I am assuming) but I too will wait to see who wins the battle BUT!!! I am tired of waiting out this sea-saw battle lol....I WANNA USE THIS HD TV I HAVE!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
LG makes a player that plays both blue ray and HD DVD's. The only 1 on the market yet I believe. I seen it in a distributer's magazine so I am not sure where it would be available for retail but i bet google does
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550
Yeah, I have also heard about the combo. But, I can't imagine why you'd be desperate enough to get both. I'd wait it out or get the hd-dvd add on for your 360. I personally think Blu-ray will take the win, but who knows.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
isn't the add on an external drive though for the 360? I have never played with a 360 myself or even had 1 in my hands but I couldn't imagine that it would have all the same capabilities as a dvd player as far as connections and sound and such. If your gonna go that far and spend that much money on extra's in a 360 you mine as well build a HTPC and have way more options. just my opinion though. The only advantage consoles had over pc's was the price for the system verses a pc but with all the added features and extra's people are adding onto them I don't see the point. I am not trying to start another console verses pc thread though even though we haven't had 1 in awhile
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
They should just comprimise -- Sony and Toshiba sit down and meld their minds. Share technologies etc.... End result? HD-ray, or perhaps blu-DVD.......

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550
I thought the add on was roughly $300...It seems as though it would be a cheap option. Also the 360 can already play dvds without that add on. The 360 has HDMI output, so everything is in check theoretically. Im not sure how the quality really turns out to be, however I wouldn't be surprised if it was equal to that of a separate player.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 24,275
add-on for the 360 I've seen on sale for under $200. And the LG combo player that does both Blu-Ray & HD-DVD is a Blu-Ray player which can playback HD-DVDs via emulation. that means you can watch the movies in all their 1080p glory but can't access any of the special features on the discs or the menu system. its a hack.

LG Super-Multi Blue Player info: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12760_7-9672294-5.html
"LG has confirmed that the BH100 also lacks the ability to access the HDi interactive layer found on some HD DVD discs, meaning that their advanced interactive features, like picture-in-picture commentaries and bookmark sharing, won't be available. LG also said that it could not add HDi via a firmware upgrade."
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
i guess for some people the extra's on the disc are important. Me I could care less. I buy a movie to watch the movie not the comentaries and extra's but everyone is different.

If the add on for the 360 is that cheap than yea it makes for a cheap solution. you can't even get a HD DVD player or blue ray player for that cheap.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285
I think once the PS3 has more game support more people will buy them thus creating a bigger market for the Blue-ray media....

Im for Blue-ray...

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 24,275
quote:

Originally posted by: nelsoncp21
i guess for some people the extra's on the disc are important. Me I could care less. I buy a movie to watch the movie not the comentaries and extra's but everyone is different.

If the add on for the 360 is that cheap than yea it makes for a cheap solution. you can't even get a HD DVD player or blue ray player for that cheap.

of course the xbox360 is one noisy machine, come to think of it the PS3 is noisy if you fold on it.
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 759
Points 9,725
When I move into my new house June 22nd, sometime soon after I get settled in, I will get my media center setup. For my media player, I was looking at LG's player which plays both HD-DVD & Blue-Ray. The price has crept down from its release. Expensive yes, but when your screen is a Sharp Aquos 52", you wouldn't want to do it an injustice. As for the PC side...I'm going to hold off until next year at the earlist before I choose a burner/player. When I get everything setup I'll be sure to let you know how everything works.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 11,701
Points 74,165
Jordan replied on Sun, Jul 15 2007 7:12 PM

HD-DVD is the better tech but Blu-Ray is winning so far. Possibly has a lot to do with Sony's PS3.

Yep, there will always be players that will play both formats (just look at SACD and DVD-A), but you don't really want to be buying both types of media, esp the one that's going to die...

The players are still a little pricey but not too bad but the media is extortionate! Will be waiting a long time till i move on from DVD, though i don't even have a HD TV yet anyway... never an early adopter, I'm not rich enough :P

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,063
Points 10,760
Grahf replied on Wed, Jul 18 2007 3:02 PM

Bluray has more capacity, more support of manufacturers, more support of movie companies, etc. It already won before the battle began.

I beat the Internet... the end guy was hard

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,872
Points 64,370

Agreed. It's actually one of the only formats Sony has backed that has ever actually made it.

I have several Blu-Ray movies and I watch them via my PS3. I've looked at both hd-dvd and bluray side by side and they look identical. I chose blu-ray because I can watch them on my PS3 and did not have to by any extra add-on's and such.

Intel E6850 * Patriot 4GB DDR 2 800 * EVGA 8800 Ultra * EVGA 680i Mobo "It's my...err...human nature to always want more!"- Myself Gamer Tags: X-Box 360 - Linus84 | PS3- Linus84 | Wii- 013014813390

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Sat, Jul 21 2007 12:22 PM

The price of a HD player will have to either come down to €250 and the HD discs to under €20 before I switch from DVD. I may get an XBOX 360 so it looks like I will get HD DVD rather than Blu Ray.

Bluray has more capacity, more support of manufacturers, more support of movie companies, etc. It already won before the battle began.

I disagree, VHS won over Beta max even though Beta had more support and capacity. The fact is the consumers will decide who wins not the companies. That's not to mention the plausibility of both formats succeeding.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Agreed. the average non techy person has heard of blue ray but if you mention HD DVD they think you are refering to blue ray. It's all about the marketing.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Tue, Aug 21 2007 11:03 AM

It has just been announced that Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, and DreamWorks Animation have become HD DVD exclusive.

It keeps getting worse and worse for the consumer. If an affordable combo player isn't out soon people will have to decide on either Blu Ray or HD DVD.

I have to disagree with the above comment by Nelson. My view is HD DVD has the brand recognition because people can relate to DVD. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,342
Points 48,465
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Thu, Aug 23 2007 11:38 AM

Neither formwat has "won the war" yet.  If you ask me, the first players to hit the sub-$150 mark will cause a huge shift, and its at that point things will settle down and sales will go through the roof.  Which ever format gets there first will end up with the larger install base, and that's what will get the lion's share of support.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Fri, Aug 24 2007 8:20 PM
Fully agree with Big Wop.

Page 1 of 1 (31 items) | RSS