hp psc 750 all-in-one scanner problem

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
jgv_007 Posted: Sat, Dec 6 2003 11:04 PM
I know nothing about computers, what bothers me is that my HP scanner worked fine until two weeks ago. I have not added any new hardware or software since it last worked correctly. Now, when I try to scan, I get this message, "scanner could not be initialized. " (scanner not found). What's really strange is that this is an "all in one" machine. I can still copy & print, but no longer can I scan. I would appreciate some help on this problem & I have already gone to the HP site to see if I could get some answers & did not find anything that addressed my individual problem & I would have to pay $25.00 to get tech help from the HP site. I'm not technically minded, so I would need help in as simple a way as possible.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 973
Points 10,040
bibite replied on Sat, Dec 6 2003 11:57 PM
When you say you can still copy and print, are you using the computer to do this? Are you putting a page in the scanner, and pushing the 'start scan' button on the printer, which just makes you a photocopy, or do you mean that you can still print a document that is on your computer?

This all in one fax/photocopier/printer can also be used as a stand alone device, without being connected to a computer. If you can photocopy pages but can't print documents or scan documents into your computer, this could be a sign that the USB connector may have come loose either on your computer, or on the printer itself.
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
jgv_007 replied on Sun, Dec 7 2003 12:46 PM
I can print from the computer. If I go to a web page & see something I want, I hit the printer icon & it prints it out. When I want to scan, I open the Icon for the HP PSC 750 & when that opens, there is three options, copy, print, scan, I hit "scan" & that's when I get the message, "scanner could not be initialized, scanner not found. I find it hard to believe it has anything to do with the USB connection, but then again, as I said before, I know nothing about computers except turn it on & shutting it off. Anything in between, baffles me.
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 973
Points 10,040
bibite replied on Sun, Dec 7 2003 1:06 PM
If you can print something from your computer, it's not the USB connection. It wasn't clear from your first post if you could do that or not, and the machine being able to operate without a computer, I couldn't be sure.

I have the same printer here, and I've never had any problems, but then again, I've never used the HP software that came with the printer. I've just put the drivers (maybe even WinXP did that for me), and when I want to scan something I either go into photoshop or paint shop.

In an atempt to try and help, I opened up the 'Hp Director" and this screen came up (see picture below). It crashed a few times (LOL) and then it finally scanned.

I don't know what would cause the scanner not to work, but if you feel comfortable doing so, you could remove the printer in the 'Printer and Faxes' and add it again. Before you do this tho, can you tell us what version of Windows you are using? Perhaps someone else has some ideas...
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
jgv_007 replied on Sun, Dec 7 2003 4:19 PM
Using win xp. What's strange is that it did work at one time; why would it stop all of a sudden? The picture you sent is what I see when I try to scan. One question is, there is one icon that says, "scan picture" & another says, "scan document". Is there really a difference?
The last time I tried to scan was just a piece of paper with only text on it, but I think I hit the icon, "scan picture", which brought up the error message. Should I have used the, "scan document" instead? By the way, I appreciate the help. Thanks!
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 973
Points 10,040
bibite replied on Sun, Dec 7 2003 5:27 PM
I don't believe there would be a difference between "scan picture" and "scan document": scan picture would just be optimized for images and scan document would be optimized for text, but it should work either way.

How about you try this:
Open up Paint (Start -> Pograms -> Accessories -> Paint)
Frmo here, try to scan a picture (File -> From Scanner or Camera). Are you able to scan a picture from here?
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS