New XFX GPU DOA

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 353
Points 3,880
StaticFX Posted: Thu, Jul 10 2014 12:38 AM

Sucks, all these years building PC's..... got my first DOA.  XFX R9 270. Fan spins, no signal.

Tired both DVI and the HDMI. Unplugged, re-seated, different power cords, updated Bios... nope

NCIX was nice enough to cover the return shipping to replace, just sucks.. I have a week with no one home but me - there goes my gaming plans. Wanted to try games I havent been able to play because my system was too old.

At least the rest is going good.. although I had an "um...uh oh" hooking everything up.. click.. nothing. Not sure why but works now.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 114
Points 1,000
nfs3freak replied on Thu, Jul 10 2014 1:05 PM

Do you have a different card on hand in the meantime?

I actually have received two DOA cards in my lifetime of building computers. Sadly, XFX was one of them, the other was PNY. Mind you, these were many years ago. In recent years, I've stuck with EVGA and Asus and have yet to come across DOA parts for GPU or Mobo yet.

Can you at least use the integrated graphics (I'm assuming you may have an Intel i7/i5 chip, also assuming you have outputs on the mobo itself to support the integrated Intel graphics).

A full week to yourself and not be able to game...I'm glad I would have my ps3/ps4 in case, even though I never use those.

PSN: d367ruc70

Steam/Origin: d367ruc70

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 353
Points 3,880
StaticFX replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 12:08 AM

I just popped in my XFX Radeon 6870 HD that I have been using for years... (Thats how I knew it wasnt the MB)

All new PC... except for the GPU .. I do see a nice performance boost though just from the CPU upgrade alone! (and an SSD! wow!)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 114
Points 1,000
nfs3freak replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 1:43 AM

That's awesome that you at least see the performance boost from the upgraded computer (without GPU). SSD is the way to go for sure!

I've had some spare cards lying around (GTX 280 and I don't know what the other Radeon card is) in case my cards fail when I get them. Glad you have the extra card lying around. Hopefully it's good enough to get that gaming in for the week of downtime!

PSN: d367ruc70

Steam/Origin: d367ruc70

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
DBAndrew replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 4:14 PM

I used to buy only XFX graphics cards but after having 1 DOA and 2 die within 2 years of use I have switched to EVGA and have never hard a problem with them. *knock on wood*

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS