Intel Developing RFID Tracking And ‘Kill Switch’ Technology For Laptops

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,820
Points 1,166,765
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jun 22 2014 11:58 AM
Dirty rotten laptop thieves may want to consider another way to make a quick buck, as there are forces in play that will hopefully render this business model obsolete. Intel has teamed up with Impinj, Technology Solutions UK Ltd. (TSL), and Burnside Digital to create an RFID solution called Wireless Credential Exchange (WCE) to track lost and stolen laptops.

Intel's System-on-Chip (SoC) is a crucial component of the RFID system. The key is that it can read and write data to the Monza RFID chip that will be embedded into Intel SoC-powered devices. The chip can also be read and written to using an external TSL RFID reader, even when the system is powered down.

Intel Tracking

Unique IDs, error logs, permissions, device configuration, and virtually any other type of data can be written to the Monza chip and then read back to the Intel processor when the lost or stolen device is powered on. Where Burnside Digital comes into play is that it created custom applications for Windows, iOS, and Android that can communicate with a TSL reader via Bluetooth or with an AWS cloud-based database.

RFID is commonly used for inventory tracking, though in this instance, one unique feature is that it can disable a device prior to shipping and reactivate it only when it reaches its intended destination. The device would be useless if it turned up lost or stolen along the way. It could also be programmed to only work in approved locations.
  • | Post Points: 215
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 110
TomHeckman replied on Sun, Jun 22 2014 12:50 PM

But will the government use it to track you and shut down YOUR laptop ?

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 65
JamesEzell replied on Sun, Jun 22 2014 12:50 PM

Or crackers getting into it and killing your laptop

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 65
PaulBrown replied on Sun, Jun 22 2014 1:13 PM

Avoid at all cost

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

why not have a proxy key of some kind that allows only operate it while its near that key they come packaged with the machine. when a person steals the laptop they have to steal the proxy key too..

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 140

NO THANKS.. this is not a feature i want on any laptop of mine.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 1,110

ewwwww

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40

First they test the large-scale apllication of RFID on hardware...

... then they put it under your skin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zkGPWO6Nog

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 1,110

no more intel products for me

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 1,110

anyone could potentially do that if you had one so DO NOT BUY ANYTHING made by intel or apple

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35

now the tracking chip could be a plus if your laptop is stolen, the "Kill switch" can be abused and should only be an option to even have it at all. maybe a module, of course this wont make laptop thieves go away, just create laptop "chop shops" selling parts or even putting non stolen parts in it.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

This is just plain flat out scary...

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 45
CWilson2 replied on Mon, Jun 23 2014 4:10 AM

As soon as anyone says RFID and "Kill Switch" the tinfoil hat wearing crazies come out. "RFID?! That's an invasion of my privacy!" As they pay for things with a debit or credit card and leave a huge digital paper trail. "I don't want a Kill Switch! The gubment will disable my gear!" As they use OnStar because they have a road side emergency...People are stupid.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 140
KDaniels replied on Mon, Jun 23 2014 4:32 AM

Dell had this a while ago, although its not RFID based. As soon as the machine is connected to a network with internet connectivity, it would wipe your drive and brick the machine rendering it useless.

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 165

Im not crazy upset about this. If you've had something stolen before you would see the use in it. The kill switch part seems a bit much but i wouldn't mind being able to track it. Pretty sure people can track your ip to fund where you are anyway so it's not like people could find you now when they couldn't before.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS