Windows XP Gets Dropped Off Life Support Next Week, Prepare

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,388
Points 1,192,435
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Mar 31 2014 11:35 AM
We don't want to get all pre-Y2Kish and surmise how the world is going to come to an end once Microsoft drops support for Windows XP -- the world will keep spinning, we assure you -- but if you're still hanging tight to the legacy operating system, you should prepare yourself for life after support. After April 8, 2014, Microsoft will no longer issue security patches to XP, so the next time a security hole is discovered, it will remain unfixed and vulnerable.

There are guides all over the Internet suggesting ways to cope with Microsoft's deadline. An article on MLive suggests assessing how many of your business's devices are running Windows XP and, if upgrading, deciding whether Windows 7 or Windows 8 is the better fit. One could argue that Windows 8's support time frame will be longer than Windows 7, but at the same time, Windows 7 might be a little easier to adjust to if the majority of employees haven't experienced Microsoft's revamped UI yet.

Windows XP System
Image Source: Flickr (brian395)

For consumers, it might be easier to just up and buy a new PC, especially with Microsoft's money-saving promotions. It really depends on the age of the PC and what it's being used for, but assuming an XP system is getting a bit long in the tooth, this could a great time to justify a new PC.

If sticking with XP post April 8, Buffalo News suggests running an anti-malware program (if you aren't already) and making sure its always updated. While Microsoft is ditching XP, there are several security vendors that will still support the legacy OS. Even Microsoft's own Security Essentials program will continue to be updated on XP machines, though if that's the route you're going, you'll need to download the program before April 8.

In addition to security software, you should consider moving away from Internet Explorer on XP. Only older versions of IE work with XP, while newer, fully patched versions of browsers like Chrome and Firefox run fine.

Do you own an XP system? If so, what are your plans for staying safe beyond April 8?
  • | Post Points: 215
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Mon, Mar 31 2014 1:05 PM

I think we overestimate how much those security patches do for us. Intelligent browsing and using an anti-virus can go a long way. What's really going to be annoying is when IT guys have to work on XP machines and will be unable to automatically download updates.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 429
Points 3,280

For a impressive OS I still believe this very day Xp had more potential hate to see it fade away

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 120
Points 1,005

well all i can say is bye bye windows xp

Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 580
Jun replied on Mon, Mar 31 2014 3:56 PM

Guys its ancient we all have to move on.

"Even Microsoft's own Security Essentials program will continue to be updated on XP machines, though if that's the route you're going, you'll need to download the program before April 8."

I think that's funny. After that point you are super doomed.

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 140

Its an old OS but there are people who don't want to learn a new OS. Even though Windows 7 is amazing and it can run almost on the same hardware as XP

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 240

You were my first OS, you were super annoying, but now that I'm older I realize that my computer just overall sucked.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
MarkBruce replied on Mon, Mar 31 2014 7:15 PM

Oh well progress, I hope

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

won't stop using XP untill till all 3 comps using it die

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 98
Points 670
ECouts replied on Mon, Mar 31 2014 10:48 PM

K! Linux distros at the ready!

Ubuntu power, go!

Fedora power, go!

Puppy Linux power, go!

Knoppix power, go!

Suse power, go!

Linux Mint power, go!

With your powers combined, I am multiple different Linux distros all available for free to replace XP!

What? Were you expecting Captain Planet or something?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
JoshLatham replied on Mon, Mar 31 2014 11:18 PM

XP, better than anything else Microsoft has to offer as far as operating systems go

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 95

Noooooo beloved xp.

Not Ranked
Posts 85
Points 770

Good riddance; the web development industry can slowly eliminate the support of IE8 more aggressively now.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 352
Points 3,860

KevinLozandier:

Good riddance; the web development industry can slowly eliminate the support of IE8 more aggressively now.

im with Kevin..  XP was released in 2001!!! thats 13 years ago! its time people...  

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
NoahBaker replied on Tue, Apr 1 2014 10:20 AM

Yes, Linux all the Way, Any computer that was still using Windows XP would be better off with just about any distro of Linux.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 429
Points 3,280

Why you people love to see XP go its part of history its what people say ''A dream to open out of a box'' I would still love to have it today

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 155

Got the latest Mint on Live CD. (Y)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Get the cheapest windows 7 genuine upgrade disc here...http://gadgets4today.weebly.com/pc-softwaretraining.html Straight upgrade from windows xp with service pack 3/512 ram.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Its Microsoft's way of screwing us over .Not all of us can afford to just pop down the shop's & afford a few hundred quid for a new OP system.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 429
Points 3,280

Yeah man I agree :/

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS