Samsung Tries Wooing Multitaskers With 28-Inch 4K Utra HD Monitor Supporting Picture-In-Picture

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,848
Points 1,170,695
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Mar 31 2014 10:07 AM
Samsung is joining the push to empower desktop PC users with 4K ultra high definition (UHD) displays by announcing its new UD590 monitor. Like other 4K panels, the UD590 offers four times the resolution and pixels of a Full HD 1080p display at 3840x2160 versus 1920x1080. This allows for significantly more on-screen real-estate to play with and is especially useful when working with large, detailed photos and graphics.

The UD590 is built around an LED-backlit Twisted Nematic (TN) panel. These are lower quality panels compared to In-Plane Switching (IPS) and the such, though the upshot for consumers and gamers is that they're typically less expensive to own and capable of handling fast moving visuals without nasty artifacts. In this case, the UD590 retails for $700 MSRP and has a 1ms response time.

Samsung UD590

Other specifications include 170-degree/160-degree viewing angles, 370 cd/m2 brightness, two HDMI ports, a single DisplayPort, audio outputs, -1 to +15 degrees of tilt, and Picture-in-Picture 2.0 support, the latter of which affords users easy multitasking and the ability to adjust resolution, screen position, and sound as desired. Using PiP 2.0, users can even watch videos that maintain 100 percent of the source resolution.

"Samsung is a worldwide leader in display technology renowned for our UHD 4K TVs. The UD590 brings that UHD 4K technology to our monitor line up, offering unparalleled imagery right at your desk," said Ron Gazzola, Vice President of Consumer IT Marketing at Samsung Electronics America. "It offers a viewing experience unlike any other, perfect for consumers looking to enjoy premium display quality in their homes. We’re also introducing several other consumer monitors this year to offer a wide range of high performing options to meet the needs of any user."

The UD590 is available to pre-order now and will ship to consumers and retailers in April.
  • | Post Points: 140
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

price isnt to bad.but ill still wait till 4k goes down in prices

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 418
Points 3,150

Imagine Watching A 4k Tv Commercial On A 4k Tv lol

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 143
Points 970
Jason replied on Mon, Mar 31 2014 2:11 PM

The viewing angle is actually pretty steep. Cool but I don't think I would really need to view it from that angle lol. But Samsung always makes a pretty good product. They will probably be who I go to when 4k comes down a bit in price.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,955
StaticFX replied on Mon, Mar 31 2014 2:24 PM

lol i like to stand right above my monitor and view it that way....

nice monitor.. but I will also wait till prices are cheaper.... oh yeah.. and when I get a pc that could even display 4k lol

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 120
Points 1,005

pretty expensive still. but other wise its great!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Definitely need this but I'll wait as well.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

Would be more willing to by if it was more affordable

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 170
***olt replied on Mon, Mar 31 2014 7:26 PM

700 dollars for a 4k monitor! depending on the size thats comparable to like a 50inch led tv, definately a steal! if i dont end up upgrading my pc i am going to save for this bad boy and put it on my desk!

Not Ranked
Posts 70
Points 605

Being a Asus ProArt monitor user and a user of a variety of professional monitors for content creation , I would think picture-in-picture is a defacto feature one would have for a professional monitor these days.

Not being a IPS-panel is just a deal-breaker to me as well.

4K is a professional standard, and if the monitor doesn't cater first and foremost to professional users to get things done well (and doing things with great accuracy of the wide range of color gamut and angles they'll position the monitor), then the monitor quickly loses its value towards being bought.

Too much was sacrificed to have an MSRP of $700 dollars.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 155

The only thing I like about these advances on 4K displays is the fact that they'll help drop the prices on 1440/1600p ones.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 79
Points 550

Hopefully they will drop the prices of the other monitors. My 1440p IPS monitor cost me 600 bucks a year ago. It was worth it IMO but now I want a GSync monitor and man...those won't be cheap either.

PSN: d367ruc70

Steam/Origin: d367ruc70

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS